First information for new Pyra owners (FAQ)

Which lends to a new question: Are they any buttons, or buttons combinations i shouldnd push?
Also, i searched the Internet for a Button Combination for the Terminal, and this said Controll - Alt- T,
So is the Controll + Pyra Button allready a Custom Button Combination? Or will on a Normal Linux System Controll + "Windows Button" also bring me to the Terminal?

A question about SD cards: is F2FS the recommended file system now for the Pyra ?
I read a discussion on this forum recently that put me off using f2fs With ext4, the tools for resizing and recovrey work reliably, but for f2fs you'll get to enjoy a learning opportunity.

The big advantage of F2FS is that you can fine-tune certain parameters to match the exact characteristics of the flash memory being used. However, these kind of information are only available to the manufacturer, and without them you hardly gain anything from using it. Which makes it kind of useless for SD cards.

I read a discussion on this forum recently that put me off using f2fs With ext4, the tools for resizing and recovrey work reliably, but for f2fs you'll get to enjoy a learning opportunity.
It's actually not that hard, fdisk practically walks you through it because it automatically fills out the new parameters for the partition if you delete it and make a new one that's a bigger size.

Just let it boot and then shut it down again, my Pyra is currently charging..
in off Mode

Although when I made the first update in January, it’s ditnt boot up just by plugging in the cable but now it’s seems like this fix is gone maybe because it caused some issues..

does this mean while it's off? whenever i plug it in, it boots. i haven't had a lot of time to play around with the pyra yet but charging/battery life is giving me nightmares.
Yes, charging is most reliable with the battery is cold and pyra turned off at present. You'll have to shutdown after it has powered up. The boot-up when power is plugged is not ideal but that is how it is until there's a fix in uboot.

I think the charging problems on most pyra are because it thinks the battery is overheating when it isn't. If that's the problem with your pyra, the power light will start flashing after charging for a short time. I've fixed the charging on mine but it required making a hole in the case between the battery and CPU, plus a delicate hardware hack (removing and possibly replacing a very small resistor).

@Cooper had something more fundamental wrong on his motherboard stopping power getting to the charging chip.

Hi all,

Q: how to fix audio issues when playing games (loud static noise) ?

A: Open Mate Terminal. At the prompt, type "alsamixer"
Press F4 (Fn + 4) to select the Capture device (microphone input)
Press down on the D-Pad until the input level reaches 0<>0
Press the space bar to turn off "L CAPTURE R"
Press the "Esc" button to exit alsamixer
Back to the prompt, type "exit" to close Mate Terminal

Thanks @EvilDragon for that tip :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Hi all,

Q: how to lower the brightness of the backlit keyboard ?

A: hold down shift (left trigger) + Fn + Key (same row as the power button, on the right).
Fn + key alone raises the brightness. There are AFAICT 8 levels of brightness. The keyboard emits some noise when at the brightest level.

Thanks @levi for that tip :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back