First Gpx2 (prototype) Video Footage

SNES would be like the 16bit holy grail for the 2X... they wouldnt be able to fill all the orders they'd get if it could do that. (I's say Genesis/MD but DrMD is already like 90% perfect) It's probably better that we wait and see what the "secret developer team" has planned.

Franxis posted on Sep 4 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
efegea posted on Sep 4 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
Sonic-NKT posted on Sep 4 2005 at 02:54 PM said:
they should try gngeo in the next video!

lol..I've never got gngeo running on my system! :D

GNGEO runs with x86 ASM cores... I think it would be not possible :-(

really? i have it running under gclinux, and that is a PPC and you can also download a arm binary on the debian page. so i dont think it will be hard getting a simple version to work on the gp2x

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha2 posted on Sep 5 2005 at 03:39 AM said:
SNES would be like the 16bit holy grail for the 2X... they wouldnt be able to fill all the orders they'd get if it could do that. (I's say Genesis/MD but DrMD is already like 90% perfect) It's probably better that we wait and see what the "secret developer team" has planned.

I agree about SNES. The powers that be for this GP2X would be wise to get a near perfect SNES emu going for the GP2X at all costs even to the point of paying someone to make one.

x68000 posted on Sep 5 2005 at 12:28 AM said:
i have complete faith in the gpx2, ahem, i mean gp2x. But when any new console comes out, the first thing they show us is somthing which utilises the systems potential.
GPH are hardware developers, not software. They can't show you something that utilises the systems potential (other than the movie player) because it hasn't been written yet. When Sony and Nintendo release a new console, third party developers have had their hands on a dev board for years so there is plenty to show off. With GPH they are trying to get the system out asap and have only just finished designing it, so it's quite possible no developers other than GPH themselves have had any access to hardware yet. I wouldn't expect to see anything interesting until just before the system is released.

And anyway, they've shown an application that was ported from linux in minutes. As a developer I can't think of anything that can show of it's potential better than that.

what they did was impressive, but even as hardware manufacturers, you would expect them to have shown an impressive hardware demo.
They may not be developers of software but it is in their best interests to hire programmers to exploit the systems potential to help them sell more systems.

an impressive hardware demo, hmmm, your right this wasn't it. This did not show the prowess of the hardware. What is did show was that the GP2X will have a hell of a lot of apps for day one. 5 mins to get a linux app running thats gonna mean an awful lot of programs running from day one. I suspect it will be at least two years before the hardware starts being fully utilised.

I'm already looking forward to buying a GP2X, and there's no way that video could have made a big difference. However, it did make me want one even more(only slightly though), but I agree... a gameboy color emulator isn't anything to get extremely excited about... but at the same time, if it can be ported in 5 minutes, then it can't possibly be difficult to port linux applications to work on it, which is a good sign. No matter what emulator they're going to show us in a demo video though, they should have at least shown it on the actual assembled working system, not just a screen, circuit board, and some wires. And like everybody else, I think they should show SNES as soon as they can in a demo video. That will definitely get a lot of people more excited than they already are and probably snag a few people who aren't quite sure they want it.

totally agree, if snes was shown running at zero frameskip with full sound that would be amazing, but if word got out to nintendo thay may not be as happy as us to see such a thing running, especially considering that snes is virtually a gba, still a current system and then there is that whole backwards compatible revoloution thing coming out next spring.

Back