First Gp2x's Have Arrived

You'd be amazed what company's can/will sue for - unless you've checked thru Nintendo's bazillions of copyrights & patents don't be too sure.

Example, the cross shaped dpad - Nintendo owns that. It's possible they patented the SNES layout. All I'm saying is, if GPH chooses not to copy the SNES labeling, it's probably to avoid giving Nintendo any ideas.

Prophet posted on Sep 16 2005 at 09:47 PM said:
You'd be amazed what company's can/will sue for - unless you've checked thru Nintendo's bazillions of copyrights & patents don't be too sure.

Example, the cross shaped dpad - Nintendo owns that. It's possible they patented the SNES layout. All I'm saying is, if GPH chooses not to copy the SNES labeling, it's probably to avoid giving Nintendo any ideas.
Probbably...
Hey craig try to put that machine in a 1337 modded gp32 case. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Some screenshots of the bare units running would be great. I'm curious to see what the interface is like...

darkplayer posted on Sep 16 2005 at 02:29 PM said:
are they going to have the fire buttons(abxy) in the configuration like a snes?
That doesent matter since you can open it up and change yourself :p

If you think about it, you can't really do that. What if a menu tells you to specifically press the X button but an A button is in that spot? That will be major confusing

JaqMs posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:24 PM said:
darkplayer posted on Sep 16 2005 at 02:29 PM said:
are they going to have the fire buttons(abxy) in the configuration like a snes?
That doesent matter since you can open it up and change yourself :p

If you think about it, you can't really do that. What if a menu tells you to specifically press the X button but an A button is in that spot? That will be major confusing
Well you are always gonna have that problem if you are emulating systems, as every single system can have a different layout, not all systems have the same buttons as a SNES or Megadrive...

craigix posted on Sep 16 2005 at 07:39 PM said:
The joystick does not click anymore, good or bad?

-Craig

Are the connections for the joystick diagonals discreet or do they just pair up the adjacent imputs? What I am getting at is it capable of 16 way or is it just hardware assisted 8-way?

It's already been mentioned in other posts that finally all 8 (not 16!) directions have their own switches, rather than detecting up/left etc for diagonal.

EDIT: But hardware/software assisted 16 way would be pretty cool for psuedo-analog don't you think? half-way between the diagonals...

pea posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:40 PM said:
It's already been mentioned in other posts that finally all 8 (not 16!) directions have their own switches, rather than detecting up/left etc for diagonal.

EDIT: But hardware/software assisted 16 way would be pretty cool for psuedo-analog don't you think? half-way between the diagonals...

Yes but the switch positioned for the diagonal could be just completing the circuit for up + left. The diagonal switches may not be discreet programmable inputs.

reallynotnick posted on Sep 17 2005 at 01:05 AM said:
craigix posted on Sep 16 2005 at 05:44 PM said:
It has 12 points, so there are 2 diagonals on each corner.

-Craig

WHAT? :eek: that is pretty dumb.
Yeah, that is weird. I wonder how that actually works out.

It's possibly to make the thumbstick sit better on the diagonals. As it's a none clicky stick it possibly has more freedom in how it moves, if you have two contacts for the diagonals it means the stick will naturally sit on both of them. If you only have a single contact for the diagonals you could potentially end up with situations where you've got the up contact being hit at the same time as the diagonal up-right connection and the software would have to decide which direction it is supposed to be, more often than no resulting in glitchy movement.

With these additional contacts you can make sure diagonals are only registered if both sets of contacts are hit.

I could be talking BS but it's the only reason I can see for having twelve points of contact on a 8 direction D-pad

12 points (2 for each diagonal) is actually a great idea if you think about it.

When you go diagonal (e.g. up/left), you are usually pressing left and then press slightly up (or pressing up and then press slightly left) - with 2 points for each diagonal, both of these should be simple to get.

What a great idea.

well it seems to me on your sight that it is going to be $240.52 to buy it.
Is that the real price.? :huh:

craigix posted on Sep 16 2005 at 07:17 PM said:
http://gbax.com/gp2xreal.jpg

Cases are not ready until october.

Thought you might like to see a bare, real, gp2x.

Thanks,

Craig

www.gp2x.co.uk

Hello Craig,

thanks for the picture. Are those the machines you selling (of course then with cases) to pre-orders?

mr.white

Back