First computers that cannot boot anything but Microsoft Windows due?

As for Linux... if the communities and companies behind it actually got their shit together and produced something worthy of the consumer desktop, I'd be a lot more behind seeing it successful over Windows. But at the moment, it's nothing short of a terrible, awful, horrible mess as a desktop OS. It has already fallen short of consumer expectations and failed in the netbook market- it's not soon going to get a second chance.

OSX for king!

Well fine if you think that, but I've been using various flavors of Linux for 16 years, for 8 years I've been using it at work as my only OS for Office, Programming and various engineering work I do.. It's perfectly Ideal for people that need to get shit done.. I personally don't care if the masses flock to Linux. They can stay in lala land with MacOS and Windows.

If GNU/Linux does kill Microsoft off, and no Apple never has or will be in a position to do that, it's not going to go down how the Ubuntu-ites and related think. The "war" is not for the "desktop." The "war" is to become the standard people are using.

Ergo the "victory" strategy based on current movements would be that Governments and Businesses keep increasingly moving move to LibreOffice, or other ODF standard suite, instead of Microsoft Office and GNU/Linux distros in order to save money. This in turn forces the rest of the ecosystem to increasingly move to accomodate this trend.

The thing is though that such a "victory" can very easily be very phyrric. Just because China, Russia, or the EU start making their own distros doesn't mean they will stay true to the ideals of GNU/Linux or the Open Hardware concept introduced by IBM. One could easily simply being trading one overlord for another.

I personally don't take much issue with Microsoft, although I much prefered Gates to Ballmer being at the helm, as I felt he respect true competitiveness more. They do considerable research into kernels and UIs, and their GUI with a few GPL add-ons is one of the best with LXDE and KDE beeing a close second. I remain cautiously optimistic about their new GUI. Their blogs reveal they are aware and attempting to respond to the critics concerns, and there is something to be said for collapisible, searchable, and categorical lists of programs spread over an entire screen for quickly finding what you want like they say. We'll see if it ends up being the abomination Gnome Shell is instead.

The reasons I like GNU/Linux gain little from winning the popularity contest, and I suspect would suffer due to the meddling of various agencies more interested in control then the high ideals of Free Software. And what's the point if we lose the war for Free Software simply to have its corpse drapped over the masses? I prefer Microsoft sticks around and competes with GNU/Linux to the benefit of both. We need each other to keep both on the right track.

and so long as those that don't like Windows actually have a choice (other than not buying at all, which isn't a choice so much as a boycott doomed to failure) then I don't forsee much problem
Anecdote time: I once observed a soul who was complaining about people who were helping out people using Linux, because a couple of them had voiced (perfectly legitimate) gripes with Microsoft Windows, and the way business was being conducted around it at the time, in the process of doing so.

They, quite remarkably, crowed about how all of the people who were giving up their free time to help out complete strangers needed to grow up and stop trying to take away the choices of people who liked to use Microsoft Windows, along with some other opining about the then-ongoing issue of the day - it was not too dissimilar to this current one, since it surrounded the time when Microsoft was leveraging their monetary influence on netbook manufacturers to muscle out the option for Linux and to make netbooks the next victim to "Buy bigger and faster!", and stealth costs to pay for the now-included commercial OS (we all know the end result - netbooks now cost as much as a full-sized laptop).

They were silenced quite quickly when one of the people helping out stepped forward and said something to the effect of, "That's all well and good, but what you're suggesting would take away the choices of the rest of us more so than yours would ever be affected by us, because what you like to use is now pre-installed.".

They said no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the reason many systems dont come with linux pre-installed is to do with the muscle microsoft flex, I think its more to do with the number of returns as the users who baught them obviously were already used to windows either because of their old pc or maybe through use at school or work and didnt like linux as it usually takes a slighltly more advance user to enjoy the powers and benefits of linux.

dont get me wrong I love linux, but I also like windows and I also like MACs :) im not biast towards one or the other, but I do get annoyed when any bashes a system they dont use just because they prefer another.

anyway its getting off topic, as someone already said even if microsoft force this lockdown doesnt mean there wont be any choices out there for the peope that dont want a microsoft installed ARM PC/tablet.

Well fine if you think that, but I've been using various flavors of Linux for 16 years, for 8 years I've been using it at work as my only OS for Office, Programming and various engineering work I do.. It's perfectly Ideal for people that need to get shit done.. I personally don't care if the masses flock to Linux. They can stay in lala land with MacOS and Windows.

Fine for you, perhaps, but sadly not the masses.

I think it's too late for Linux to make it to the consumer desktop anyway, at least not in any form we might currently recognise. The fight for consumer desktops is long over, laptops are a passing fad and the future is clearly in computers-as-an-appliance... a market where our current desktop OSes really don't have a place. Nobody wants a computer to do 90% of the stuff we consider vitally important... to most people it's a portal to the internet.

I manage a host of linux servers, and even choose it as a desktop OS on my Netbook... but I can recognise that it's too convoluted, inconsistent and changes too frequently in too significant a way to ever be viable for "the masses."

Even with computers-as-an-appliance being sold to the masses, there will always be a market for professional-grade systems that we can nerd about on. I'd never be afraid of that disappearing; although perhaps it'll shrink somewhat. The choice when it comes to PC components and systems is absolutely mind-boggling at the moment, it could do with a serious cull.

I dont think the reason many systems dont come with linux pre-installed is to do with the muscle microsoft flex, I think its more to do with the number of returns as the users who baught them obviously were already used to windows either because of their old pc or maybe through use at school or work and didnt like linux as it usually takes a slighltly more advance user to enjoy the powers and benefits of linux.
That's the excuse that was used at the time. However, the Linux interfaces pre-installed at the time on those netbooks was very little different to the basic interface of iOS now - some big icons and some programs that do what you want (in the case of the netbooks, their intended purpose was *basics*, and they did this well)... You don't see legions of iPhones, Android devices, etc., getting returned because people using them are already used to using something else. ;)

dont get me wrong I love linux, but I also like windows and I also like MACs :) im not biast towards one or the other, but I do get annoyed when any bashes a system they dont use just because they prefer another.
Nobody's done that in this thread, though - they've bashed nothing and voiced legitimate gripes, and you've fruitlessly tried saying "I like Windows Phone. Such and such does something I think is similar so you should complain about that instead.", when it wasn't even relevant or accurate...

anyway its getting off topic, as someone already said even if microsoft force this lockdown doesnt mean there wont be any choices out there for the peope that dont want a microsoft installed ARM PC/tablet.
Where's my option to buy a Linux netbook, then? Oh, wait...

As for Linux... if the communities and companies behind it actually got their shit together and produced something worthy of the consumer desktop, I'd be a lot more behind seeing it successful over Windows. But at the moment, it's nothing short of a terrible, awful, horrible mess as a desktop OS. It has already fallen short of consumer expectations and failed in the netbook market- it's not soon going to get a second chance.

OSX for king!

Amen. Nothing to add on top of that really...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

That's the excuse that was used at the time. However, the Linux interfaces pre-installed at the time on those netbooks was very little different to the basic interface of iOS now - some big icons and some programs that do what you want (in the case of the netbooks, their intended purpose was *basics*, and they did this well)... You don't see legions of iPhones, Android devices, etc., getting returned because people using them are already used to using something else. ;)

Similar maybe but not the same, u cant compare a linux install on a netbook to be anything like iOS im afraid, another reason is previouse library of software they might have downloaded or baught for their old windows PC which does not exists or doesnt work on linux or means getting technical with wine etc to make it work.

Nobody's done that in this thread, though - they've bashed nothing and voiced legitimate gripes, and you've fruitlessly tried saying "I like Windows Phone. Such and such does something I think is similar so you should complain about that instead.", when it wasn't even relevant or accurate...

actually variouse poeple have bashed windows if you have actualy read the thread not just what the topic started about which was locking out the ability to install another OS to your ARM pc/netbook/tablet.

what I was mearly suggesting is that although it doesn't specificaly state in microsofts lockout; IMO most ARM windows 8 devices will probably be in tablet form since thats the "IN" thing at the moment. Once you move from that point you can then compare it to things like the iPad which is also locked out, (basiclly microsoft trying to emulate apple with lockouts), which means dont complain too much (you can complain by all means) since apple already do it, infact they beat microsoft to the lockout :)

you can already buy linux netbooks if you look around the web. This move (lockout) by microsoft does not cut you off from linux netbooks and anyway even if they do lock it down, its not like it wont be hacked and the lock bypassed as with anything else that tries to be locked out.

Were you being facetious, or fer serious?
Completely serious.

Anyway, that seems to be MeeGo - can you install *buntu or Fedora on those with zero difficulties? There's no added cost snuck in for MeeGo, I trust?

And, since we get charged fees that often cost more than the item if we spend over £18 including shipping, are they available in the UK? :p

Similar maybe but not the same, u cant compare a linux install on a netbook to be anything like iOS im afraid, another reason is previouse library of software they might have downloaded or baught for their old windows PC which does not exists or doesnt work on linux or means getting technical with wine etc to make it work.
But these simply weren't accessible on those netbooks unless you went out of your way to unlock a full Linux installation on them, so it just doesn't apply. There was no disc drive either, so you'd have to go out of your way to install those programs, too, back in the very early days of the things.

There was no inkling that they ran any particular OS at all, in fact. :p

actually variouse poeple have bashed windows if you have actualy read the thread not just what the topic started about which was locking out the ability to install another OS to your ARM pc/netbook/tablet.
I cannot see anyone doing that in this thread. I've followed it right through from the start... Where is the bashing?

The closest anyone even came to that was me, by calling Microsoft Bob and embarrassment, which wasn't even bashing - it was a poor product that Microsoft did their best to distance themselves from when it flopped, which meets the very definition of a commercial embarrassment. :p

what I was mearly suggesting is that although it doesn't specificaly state in microsofts lockout; IMO most ARM windows 8 devices will probably be in tablet form since thats the "IN" thing at the moment. Once you move from that point you can then compare it to things like the iPad which is also locked out, (basiclly microsoft trying to emulate apple with lockouts), which means dont complain too much (you can complain by all means) since apple already do it, infact they beat microsoft to the lockout :)
I understand that. However, the ramifications go *far* beyond tablets. :p

you can already buy linux netbooks if you look around the web. This move (lockout) by microsoft does not cut you off from linux netbooks and anyway even if they do lock it down, its not like it wont be hacked and the lock bypassed as with anything else that tries to be locked out.
Where? In the UK, please, so I don't have to go paying ludicrous fees if I spend more than £18 on it. :p And new, of course, not used.

Where? In the UK, please, so I don't have to go paying ludicrous fees if I spend more than £18 on it. :p And new, of course, not used.

Apple.com

They all come pre-installed with a really good Linux-like operating system that has a robust GUI and comprehensive support.

I joke. I joke! Although there's a lot of truth in it.

I really doubt there's any danger of Microsoft throwing their weight around enough to lock down laptops to their operating system only. They've got a history of being smacked down for dodgy dealings with manufacturers, and this would rank pretty highly on the dodgyness scale. At best they could probably muster a range of specifically branded, locked down laptops which run parallel to ordinary ones. But Microsoft isn't the Microsoft they once were.

If they want to challenge Apple, that parallel range of specifically branded laptops would likely adhere to some pretty standard specifications; like Netbooks did (half the reason they flopped, I suspect... as they were mostly shitacular) and thus offer a pretty robust combination of hardware and software.

What Microsoft should really be doing, though, is entirely isolating the system area of their OS from the user area. I don't know how much of this they're accomplishing with Windows 8, but they're seemingly doing something about it if you can easily reinstall the OS without affecting the user area. Windows comes with every DLL known to man these days preinstalled, so there's little reason why there couldn't be a read-only system area to make it tricky for malware to get a foothold.

We really should be seeing this as a good thing for everyone, rather than as a negative. If Microsoft can nail their security, then it's better for us all: fewer family tech support emergencies, or dodgy instant messages from malware, fewer dodgy emails, smaller botnets pounding on our linux servers. The list goes on.

@Prometheus

So, you expect the manufacturer/distributor to load a Linux operating system onto the machine, support it, AND at no extra charge? On top of that, it needs to be some particular flavor? Would there be a dropdown selection for the OS distro?

Perhaps there is a reason that other flavors of Linux don't come preinstalled... if your implications are correct that there exist frailties with those distros on netbooks, why would any sensible distributor deal in them?

Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious, but I believe the crux of the matter lies somewhere in the chasm between the money/distro ratios of Microsoft and Linux. That's not a perfect metric, and it doesn't have to be to make my point. I think the feat of having Linux preinstalled on any commercial system speaks volumes to how far they've come, regardless of whether they're yet "sold in stores".

@Prometheus

So, you expect the manufacturer/distributor to load a Linux operating system onto the machine, support it, AND at no extra charge? On top of that, it needs to be some particular flavor? Would there be a dropdown selection for the OS distro?
Um, no... I asked if there was any problem installing what I would want to use on the device you linked to, and whether I would end up eating the cost of an OS I don't want and would remove upon receipt, as is my problem with these things with Microsoft Windows pre-installed... :p (I got conned by that bit in the Microsoft Windows Vista EULA that basically claims "You can get a refund if you don't want this bundled OS" once. Never again. Wouldn't buy Lenovo again, either, since they were extremely unhelpful about it, too.)

Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious, but I believe the crux of the matter lies somewhere in the chasm between the money/distro ratios of Microsoft and Linux. That's not a perfect metric, and it doesn't have to be to make my point. I think the feat of having Linux preinstalled on any commercial system speaks volumes to how far they've come, regardless of whether they're yet "sold in stores".
But they were, and now they aren't. :( (Quite strangely, after Asus suddenly dropped what helped them lower the price of the Eee PC line like a hot potato in favour of something that pushed the prices up...)

I can't even find them online, here. It was rather nice to be able to buy a reasonably-priced mini-sized laptop that way, as was once possible.

I had one of the first EeePCs, and a little later, an Acer Aspire One. I loved the latter particularly - it came with a slightly hacked-up Fedora pre-installed, cost me £130 new, and had no issues with Ubuntu, either. The distro on the first EeePC was terrible though, if you were daft enough to go to the trouble of unlocking it - it was the Microsoft Patent Agreement-encumbered Xandros, which was a pretty horrible chimera of multiple outdated versions of Debian, with a braindead, poorly-thought-out UnionFS setup that no sane distro would do, that caused lots of problems. Horrid. :lol:

http://www.linuxempo...oducts/laptops/
Thanks. :) There's only one listed, though, and it's out of stock. Alas. :( Lenovo never offered a Linux option for that machine, so it seems you'd have to eat the cost of Microsoft Windows even if you didn't want it, just from buying here, hence the very high price. If the option had been available outright at the IdeaPad S10's release (it wasn't, unfortunately), that cost could probably have been avoided.

Do let me know if you see any others - 't'would be appreciated. :p

The second one isn't a netbook, though. :p It's 12.1 inches, which is one inch less than my MacBook is, so sadly a bit too big. (And the point still stands that these aren't natively available with Linux anymore - that company buys them with Microsoft Windows and removes it, and then ups the cost further in order to profit. I could do that myself, but the thing is, I don't want to be paying for an OS I will never even boot!)

the description clearly states netbook, I was unaware of any specific size requirements to be able to call it a netbook.

oops no it says notebook :p sorry

It's worth noting that the netbook was originally envisioned and marketed as what the tablet is currently doing. It was a tiny computer with a simple interface to get a couple of things done without much power. The fact that it is laptop shaped lead people to assume it should be a laptop, and it slowly evolved into being just a smaller laptop that needs to be able to run WoW or it isn't really a computer. :rolleyes:

Second, you should notice that on a freshly purchased computer with Windows pre-installed, it also comes bundled with a LOT of trial applications, hereafter referred to as garbage :p . Some people actually pay for this garbage when the trial period ends. The companies that produce this garbage pay manufacturers to pre-install their trial software knowing that some people will pay for it. The amount that these companies pay to have their garbage pre-installed on your OS is approximately the same as the cost of Windows. So when you buy a new computer, you aren't actually paying anything for the license, all that trial software gets you a "free" copy of Windows. Many years ago, I believe it was HP that did the Linux laptop experiment: instead of Windows, you could get a laptop with a branded version of Ubuntu pre-installed. Unfortunately, no one has paid software for Linux that would be worth a pre-installed trial edition, so there was no companies to subsidize the cost, thus the Linux laptop cost the same as the Windows laptop. A little bit more as I recall, actually. The reviews for the Linux Laptop were full of "don't buy this, buy the Windows version and install Ubuntu on it. It's cheaper and you get a free copy of Windows you can dual boot into if you need it". And then the Linux Laptop was dropped.

Back