Firmware Flashin

Bronze posted on Apr 4 2005 at 11:20 PM said:
I think what I'll do is give it a while, as one of you suggested and get a feel for the unit. If it plays all the emulators (my main interest) I need, then I guess I won't fiddle about with it until I feel I have to.

Then you don't want to flash.
The original firmware plays EVERYTHING. It's the most compatible one.

The only reason to use other firmwares is that they have more functions (like copy files, delete files, nicer menu, show pictures, etc.).

But you can start ALL programs with the original firmware.

BTW: The GP32 doesn't do multitasking. Once a program has been started, it will run with the same performance, regardless which firmware you use.

Last edited:
Ive had multifirmware and slubmans now and i like slubmans better. It a little less attractive and cool but it just seems faster to get to my games. Just for the record i had my GP for at least a year with the crappy free laucher before I flashed so i am sure you will be alright for a long time with the BLU firmware.

Well, as already said, if launching is everything you want, stick with the original one. You wont have tha danger of a bad flash if you stick with the original. The discussion, which FW is "better" is quite ridicoulus. As a matter of fact, it's a matter of taste.

Well the file delete and moving options all sound incredibly handy, but then I haven't used a GP32 before. In fact I've never even seen one.

As soon as GBAX has the 166 model back in stock I will let everyone know what I think :)

Bronze posted on Apr 6 2005 at 05:00 PM said:
Well the file delete and moving options all sound incredibly handy, but then I haven't used a GP32 before. In fact I've never even seen one.

As soon as GBAX has the 166 model back in stock I will let everyone know what I think :)
You don't have to flash your firmware to be able to do that, you can just install Slubman's explorer and run it like every other program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronze posted on Apr 6 2005 at 04:00 PM said:

Get a card reader, then you can do all of the moving and deleting etc much faster and easier through your desktop computer.

whats the diffrence between the 166 and 160 from gpax.com? i'v just orderd a 166 blu from gpax, will this be the blu+? and dose that mean that the snes emulator will not work? i realy want the snes emu to work! if it is will the 160 be a blu+, cos i'll just mail them and tell them to send the 166 cos they havent sent it yet and i realy want rock n roll racing!

thanks
Lizard king B)

99.9999% of all new GP32 Blu`s are now Blu+, Blu`s are the original Blu`s and are very hard to find new now. As for Snes emulation (baring in mind i do not own a Blu+ (Original Blu`s here), There are a couple of Snes emulators for the GP32, Not just one. Afaik, The last version of osnes9xgp v0.3 is not compatible with the Blu+ neither is v 0.2, But the first version v0.1 is Blu+ compatible. The other one Snes9xgp is compatible with the Blu+, But does not have any sound.

Trooper

My girlfriend was offered a 160 as 166s are out of stock and she replied saying that we still want the 166 model

I haven't had a response for a couple of days since then... hope my order is still intact :(

hi,
I ordered the 166 too, and they offerd me a 160 as they didnt have any 166's in stock so i sead i'd wait, and they assured me that they will have them in 7/10 days if not sooner & they told me that they will send an E-mail to confirm that it has been sent and it will arrive the next day, i cant wait to get it! :D

what will you be playing when you get yours? i cant wait to play sonic, zelda, rock n roll racing, final fantasy, its going to be so kewl! dose anyone know if i can get the monkey island series on gp32_console ?

thanx
lizard king :ph34r:

ps. how do i get more blue squares things, so i'm not a newbie no more?

Yes, Monkey Islands can be played on the GP32 (only the first two though), You will need the scummvm game launcher for the GP to play the games.

Day of the tentacle
Sam and max (a bit slow, You need to use a save state to get passed the wack a rat part)
Indiana jones the fate of atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge

There maybe others, But those are the one`s i`ve tried and work.

Trooper

Hi lizard_king - I think you and I are gonna get on well cos those are the games I'm really looking forward to playing!

I'm a huge fan of all the Lucas point-and-click games too. although I'm dubious as to how well they will play on a handheld...

I'm looking forward to playing Chrono Trigger too, but I think there might be problems with the SNES emulator playing it, I'm not sure

A few more posts and you will get another blue square - I haven't posted much more than you

kewl! B) i never heard of gp32_console before last saturday, when i bought a flu from my local cash genarators, i did'nt have a clue wot it was?the guy sead it was like some mad mp3 player that did other stuff but he didnt realy have a clue what it was either.

It didnt have no leads or nothing <_< so i asked them for a lead & they gave me a lead :D when i got it home realised the lead did'nt fit :angry: took it back n they sead i needed a smc card reader so i got one of those :) got it home again :huh:

then read through the F.A.Q. tryed putting some games n stuff on the smc and nothing worked cos i did'nt have no freelauncher so i took it back :(

then i read more about it and the thought of playing all my favourite retro games made me order one,i realy hope they send it soon! i cant wait till i get it i'v been realy looking forward to playing all the old saga and snes and commedore64 games i used to play when i was a kid. i never heard of that Chrono Trigger game that you on about tho.

Happy gaming my friend B)

Lizard King

Chrono Trigger is an RPG on the SNES which is very similar to the old Final Fanatasy games - in fact I believe it was made by the same team that did the FF games and was released by Square

I was always a Spectrum player back 'in the day', but I'm also really excited to be able to discover some old C64 gems I missed out on while on a train journey!

lizard_king posted on Apr 8 2005 at 05:54 PM said:
kewl! B) i never heard of gp32_console before last saturday, when i bought a flu from my local cash genarators, i did'nt have a clue wot it was?the guy sead it was like some mad mp3 player that did other stuff but he didnt realy have a clue what it was either.

It didnt have no leads or nothing <_< so i asked them for a lead & they gave me a lead :D when i got it home realised the lead did'nt fit :angry: took it back n they sead i needed a smc card reader so i got one of those :) got it home again :huh:

then read through the F.A.Q. tryed putting some games n stuff on the smc and nothing worked cos i did'nt have no freelauncher so i took it back :(

then i read more about it and the thought of playing all my favourite retro games made me order one,i realy hope they send it soon! i cant wait till i get it i'v been realy looking forward to playing all the old saga and snes and commedore64 games i used to play when i was a kid. i never heard of that Chrono Trigger game that you on about tho.

Happy gaming my friend B)

Lizard King

You could have just flashed it with a new FW like the BLU Euro FW. Then you wouldn't need a free launcher and you would be good to go. The BLU has a much better screen though anyway. Of course if you could get the guy from the cash generators to sell it real cheap might be worth it...

yo bronze have you got any messages of gbax.com yet too say that your gp32_console is on its way? they sead to me it should be 7/10 days, granted that was only a week ago but then they sead it could be sooner :blink: I jus hope it hurries up!!

Has anyone everd had any problems ordering stuff from GBAX.COM? (supose i should of got some feedback before i orderd)

lizard king

oh, dontcha worry. GBAX is a reliable store with a GREAT service. However they sometimes (only sometimes) seem to have problems with the contact. You should wait a few days, you should get a reply soon then.

I pestered them a bit and got a reply that they should get more stock in either Wednesday (my birthday!) or Thursday.

So I'm guessing Saturday if you are optimistic or early next week.

Well I flashed my GBAX's 166 BLU+ with both firmwares (slubman and aquafish), but now I'm stuck in aquafish due to what someone referred as a bug. I can't connect (using PC-Link) the GP32 to the PC and transfer any files bigger than approx. 300k, I dunno if this is common but it will be easily solved as soon as I get a card reader.

I liked both firmwares. Slubman looks very nice, and aquafish is ok too.
I want to change back to slubman, though, as soon as I get a card reader and can copy the firmware file to the GP and flash it, and maybe add the United viewer plugin to it. But I will surely miss accessing pacrom directly with the R button, and windups with the L button (I just LOVE windups 1.0) but well I can always have them on the smc, just won't be able to access them THAT quick.

Of course, if anyone knows how to add that feature that to slubman's firmware, it'll be awesome! Maybe it even supports it, I just haven't tried it long enough.

Cheers and good luck on your choice, but try all the firmwares you can before making a decision, just make sure they are BLU+ compatible and that you have brand new batteries ;)

exael posted on Apr 13 2005 at 03:02 AM said:
Well I flashed my GBAX's 166 BLU+ with both firmwares (slubman and aquafish), but now I'm stuck in aquafish due to what someone referred as a bug. I can't connect (using PC-Link) the GP32 to the PC and transfer any files bigger than approx. 300k, I dunno if this is common but it will be easily solved as soon as I get a card reader.
You should be able to connect to the pc using Pacrom's link mode or you could get Dark Fader's pclink from his site, it's smaller than 300k.

Back