Firmware 4.0 For Gp2x F-100

I just upgraded my firmware from version 2.1 to 4.0 because my sdhc card isnt supported under the old firmware (8gb transend). Now it works flawlessly and I like the new skin/style of it. I can also finally use it via usb to my computer.

Anyone know how long time it takes to upgrade the firmare?

Now im trying to upgrade to firmware 4.0 from 2.1.1 and until now its been taken around 1 hour :(
it just saying "Firmware upgrading..."

You can use Google Translate with Korean to English and you get the following lines under their "Trac" tickets for 4.1:

"USB Host On / Off option to be maintained"

It's only a feature request, though, but it looks like they might take such things seriously as they are tied into the Roadmap for firwares 4.1 and 5.0.

It's incredibly annoying that they don't release source code immediately - there's really no reason not to. And they even have the cheek to include the GPL license text but not the actual source which is frustrating. However the front page of dev.gp2x.com says:

"March 2008 to April rose to all the relevant sources GP2X [GPL], and the public will be fully developed in the form of open source."

Which suggests they will be coming soon.

There's also a couple of more recent test kernels in there too, for the brave.

Hmm after allmost two houres waiting on the upgrade then i turned off my gp2x.

i turned it on again and lucky enough i saw the startup screen for firmware 4.0 but it was stuck on the loading screen
So i turned it off again cause i wanted to downgrade to firmware 2.1.2 but after i turned it on then nothing happen just a black screen. :(

so anyone know if its possible to fix or is it totaly bricked??

mr.miyagi said:
Anyone know how long time it takes to upgrade the firmare?

Now im trying to upgrade to firmware 4.0 from 2.1.1 and until now its been taken around 1 hour :(
it just saying "Firmware upgrading..."

My upgrade process from 2.1.1. took about 4 minutes. I like this new firmware, because of support SDHC memory cards. Also I noticed that sound quality increased. No reason to go back to 2.1.1 B) .

Last edited by a moderator:
FW 4.0 does not support my 4 Gig (none sdhc) SD card :/ Same thing happens with Open2x, and FW 4.0, it will see the card, read from the card, and then currupt the card. Guess its time to buy a SDHC one. (Well, they are really cheap right now :) )

yodaofborg said:
FW 4.0 does not support my 4 Gig (none sdhc) SD card :/ Same thing happens with Open2x, and FW 4.0, it will see the card, read from the card, and then currupt the card. Guess its time to buy a SDHC one. (Well, they are really cheap right now :) )
Oh no, I have 4 GB SD (standard, not SDHC) and it is recognized by GP2X FW 4 (was not recognised by FW 2.1.1).

I also found:
-SquidSnes and PicoDrive is noticeably faster, in compare with FW 2.1.1.
-Battery indicator is displayed in the menu, but in the fully charged batteries shows only 3/4 charge (in FW 2.1.1 shows battery indicator full charge). It is only cosmetis issue, the battery stays long as in FW 2.1.1.
-When starting GP2X, brightness of display is set to very high value. When is GP2X started and switched to standard menu, brightness is set to value, that I have in Settings. But If i have GMenu2X autostarted, the brightness of display stay at very high value. Autostart of GMenu2X is for this reason unusable on FW 4.

I have updated from fw 3.0 to 4.0 without any glitches. I was motivated to get SDHC support. I read alot about using FW 2.1.2 but as I had recently acquired my F100 I wasnt too keen on bricking it so soon (even though I believe to have the correct gear and tutorials to unbrick myself).

My feedback of fw 4.0:

More or less same boot time as fw 3.0
Identical UI as the f200's, some people will like it, Im not a fan, but it does have the battery level on the top corner which is usefull.
However things like Samba support and the file explorer seems to have disappeared. I am sure they are still present, but not via the current user interface. I guess its related to the fact that the f200 doesnt support things like telnet, and that fw 4.0 is just a translation of the f200 fw for the f100. For the time being these things are not essential to me , but in the future I hope I dont have to downgrade just to make use of these features.

I noticed another poster commenting on improved sound quality, could you shed more light? I noticed a lack of small cracking inbetween songs when using Craig Amp, but that might be more to do with the SD card change.

It took me just a couple minutes to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 4.0 on my F-100. I did it mostly to get SDHC support (needed to have all of the finalburnalpha roms on one SD). I also heard that the sound no longer comes out of the speakers when in TV-Out mode, so I wanted to get that feature.

Impressions:

Startup time isn't too much worse than 2.1.1.

Of the 5 built-in games, 2 don't work for me (Wind and Water and Phishy).

Some other things I don't really like are that you cannot (or at least I cannot) access NAND memory, so no easy way to customize skins.

The built in music player is much better than the one with 2.1.1, but I use CraigAmp anyway.

Most people know that the Utility feature has gone away, but .gpu utilities still load.

I like the feature where games automatically default to the sd/game directory, movies look in the sd/movie directory, etc.

I also noticed better sound. The built-in music player lets me hear songs very loudly out of the built in speakers. Unfortunately, CraigAmp is still kind of quiet even when I crank it up.

djax said:
yodaofborg said:
Oh no, I have 4 GB SD (standard, not SDHC) and it is recognized by GP2X FW 4 (was not recognised by FW 2.1.1).

I also found:
-SquidSnes and PicoDrive is noticeably faster, in compare with FW 2.1.1.
-Battery indicator is displayed in the menu, but in the fully charged batteries shows only 3/4 charge (in FW 2.1.1 shows battery indicator full charge). It is only cosmetis issue, the battery stays long as in FW 2.1.1.
-When starting GP2X, brightness of display is set to very high value. When is GP2X started and switched to standard menu, brightness is set to value, that I have in Settings. But If i have GMenu2X autostarted, the brightness of display stay at very high value. Autostart of GMenu2X is for this reason unusable on FW 4.

My f100 came with firmware 4 and pocketsnes has allways been fast.

I upgraded to this as well. It seems to work ok. I haven't tried gaming yet since I've lost my stick (bought two spare ones yesterday, waiting for delivery), but 8gb sdhc card seems to work just fine.

I've also upgraded to 4.0 on my F-100 yesterday. It took about 5 minutes to pass the "please wait patching" screen, I was starting to sweat a little :p .

Seems to work ok so far. I have a mono low bitrate 48kHz mp3 file that doesn't play back properly, sounds like Jabba the Hutt, previously played back fine.

And I can't browse the NAND anymore, so the sleep script I had (low power mode after 6 minutes of inactivity) is gone. That's too bad.

Other than that, my games seem to work, so that's the main thing I use it for. PicoDrive does seem a little faster. And videos still play, can still view pictures.

Startup time seems about the same as 2.1.1, but I didn't really time it before...it's about 25 seconds now.

Forgive me if this is a known issue, I didn't notice it in earlier firmwares, but I didn't test for it before:

The left and right audio channels are reversed in the music player. I made two stereo mp3 files: "LEFT" has some dialog in the left channel, and nothing in the right. "RIGHT" has the dialog in the right channel, nothing in the left.

When I play these files, the LEFT audio comes out the right speaker, and the RIGHT comes out the left. Also happens through the headphones.

Weird. I dunno if this is in every app/game, or just the music player. Anyone else notice this?

@yodaofborg
Thanks for that - I thought I'd read that somewhere - easy to fix I would hope by placing telnetd on the SD or NAND and running at startup - but for now I think I'll avoid 4.0 until the source is released.

EmuGuy said:
Forgive me if this is a known issue, I didn't notice it in earlier firmwares, but I didn't test for it before:

The left and right audio channels are reversed in the music player. I made two stereo mp3 files: "LEFT" has some dialog in the left channel, and nothing in the right. "RIGHT" has the dialog in the right channel, nothing in the left.

When I play these files, the LEFT audio comes out the right speaker, and the RIGHT comes out the left. Also happens through the headphones.

Weird. I dunno if this is in every app/game, or just the music player. Anyone else notice this?

Weird in the F200 fw 4.0 there's info on fixing this problem.. or maybe it's just a software fix for the hardware being wired the wrong way around - not clear from the comment.
As I've posted before the two channels can switch in times of extreme bus/cpu load from my tests - most noticeable when apps write to the SD card on the fly.. does the mp3 player store last played position on the sd as it plays I wonder??

Im attempting to try out 4.0.0, but its not working for me. Ive placed the (decompressed) file on my sd card, but when i turn the system on, with start/select pressed, nothing happens. Just boots into the 2.1.1 gui.
Anybody got any ideas?

tone3721 said:
Im attempting to try out 4.0.0, but its not working for me. Ive placed the (decompressed) file on my sd card, but when i turn the system on, with start/select pressed, nothing happens. Just boots into the 2.1.1 gui.
Anybody got any ideas?
You mention file in the singular, if you only have one file then your doing something badly wrong ;).

The correct files you should have in your archive is as follows.

gp2xboot.img - U-Boot Bootloader with SDHC support.
gp2xfs.tag.gz - TAR of most of the ROOTFS
gp2xkernel.img - Linux Kernel with a U-Boot header.
gp2xyaffs.img - Tiny YAFFS1 filesystem image to create the partition for the above TAR.
gp2xsound.wav - Startup sound.

There are also the license text documents.

As for installing FW 4.

My advice would be to only installed the bootloader if you feel you need it.

To install the bootloader copy gp2xboot.img to the root of your SD and boot with Start and Select.
Let it install and reboot. If you have a GPH logo for your boot screen your good to go.

Turn off the GP2X, remove the SD, delete the gp2xboot.img and copy all the other files onto the root of the SD.

Pop the SD into the GP2X and boot again with Start and Select and let it now install the FW4 kernel and filesystem. Once the process finishes you should have FW4 installed and working.

Note: One tip I would give people is simple. Make sure you cleanly unmount the SD on the PC you use to copy the files. Eject or Remove it on Windows, Umount or whatever your GUI provides in Linux. I have seen more then a few bricks from people flashing corrupt bootloaders and/or other files after removing the SD before the OS had written everything.

Back