Firmware 4.0.0 Update To 4.1.0

Lokaty

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi Everybody!
It's my first thread on this forum. :)

Last week I got gift from my friend - GP2X F-100 First Edition.
This model have firmware 4.0.0_080307 and I thinking about update it. It has any sense to do that? What differencies are in newer 4.1.0_080501 or 4.1.0_080516 (from this site: http://dev.gp2x.com/release/ )]http://dev.gp2x.com/release/)[/url] to compare to my current? I try to find information about this using "search" but without good result. Answer me please or show other thread where I find answer.

I have another problem with M.A.M.E - when I try to run larger ROMs like "(Ultimate) Mortal Kombat 3" or "King of Fighters'96" (or newer). Emulator show me message:

"readroms(): Unable to allocate xxxxxxxxxx bytes of RAM

Unable to initalize machine emulation"

It seems to be not too much memory to run this games. What I can do to solve this problem?

Regards

Lokaty(Poland)

Don't upgrade to 4.1.0. If you really insist, you should upgrade to 4.1.1. The 4.1.0 introduced more new bugs than it solved. Or better don't upgrade at all. The 4.0.0 is better than anything released later.

But considering you have an F100, many people will advise you to downgrade to 2.0.0 and install Notaz's SDHC patched kernel. It seems to be the best firmware you can use on an F100. Since I only own an F200, I can't confirm it but since it has been said by many devs, I fully trust them for their word. Don't be surprised if your Mame problem suddenly disappears after installing 2.0.0

Squirrel61 said:
But considering you have an F100, many people will advise you to downgrade to 2.0.0 and install Notaz's SDHC patched kernel. It seems to be the best firmware you can use on an F100. Since I only own an F200, I can't confirm it but since it has been said by many devs, I fully trust them for their word. Don't be surprised if your Mame problem suddenly disappears after installing 2.0.0
No, developers do not say it. Developers do not say it, because downgrading can screw up the bad block markers on your NAND (faulty driver, still not fixed in the GPH code). The damage is generally repairable now, but I still wouldn't do any kind of downgrade if you can avoid it. Does nobody remember all the bricks caused by attempted 3.0->2.0 downgrades anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Squirrel61 said:
Don't upgrade to 4.1.0. If you really insist, you should upgrade to 4.1.1. The 4.1.0 introduced more new bugs than it solved. Or better don't upgrade at all. The 4.0.0 is better than anything released later.
Okey, I understand, but I have few more questions - where can I find 4.1.1 release? For F-100 at last can find ONLY 4.1.0 NOT 4.1.1. If it doesn't exist (4.1.1) with update should I use (from - http://dev.gp2x.com/release/ ) - gp2x-f100_4.1.0_080501.zip or gp2x-f100_4.1.0_080516.zip?
At last - where can I read about differences between FW 4.0.0 and FW 4.1.0?

Thanks for help. :)
Cheers!

Lokaty

There is indeed no FW 4.1.1 for F-100; it's just for the F-200.

I don't think Mortal Kombat 3 works in MAME; you can play the console version instead.

As for King of Fighters '96 and other large games, they generally don't work and the games that work, are slower and are older. It is better to use the dedicated arcade emulators, instead of MAME for certain games:

For NeoGeo games, use GnGeo2x (beta) instead; it's much faster and supports more modern games. You can also use FBA2X for games that don't work in GnGeo2x or use raster effects, but it's slower (yet still faster than MAME).

For CPS-2 games, try either CPS2emu or FBA2X; the former has more features, while the latter doesn't need cache files and supports 2 additional games.

For CPS-1, Cave, Toaplan, (CPS-2, NeoGeo,) and some other games, use FBA2X, which is faster and supports more modern games than MAME.

EDIT: You can read about the difference between FW 4.0.0 and 4.1.0 here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry610525

It's basically just improvements to the built-in applications. Unless you are really using those, then there is hardly any reason to update.

I don't know about the F-100, as I only have an "old" F-200. For the F-200, it also fixed a few issues, but broke the touchscreen support (which the F-100 doesn't have), which is why the FW 4.1.1 was later released, yet that still didn't fix the touchscreen issue entirely and even introduced new problems (i.e. weak volume, broken autorun). It's possible that there might be quirks in the F-100 version also.

Back