Firmware 2.0.0 Released!!!!

Makes perfect sense, thanks. Notepad seems to work well enough for me, wordpad on the other hand, screws up the line breaks. Notepad++ is my favorite editor.. small world. :)

Shikaku posted on Apr 28 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
cheap-plastic posted on Apr 28 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
Actually, I hope theoddbot will compose a new firmware based on 2.00, but with cramfs support and an even shorter boottime :)

How about you stop being such a ungrateful noob and take the gift damit.

Tell me, what does this have to do with being ungrateful?! It's just a firmware, dammit. Well what about you being 'oh so ingrateful' to theoddbot's improvements to the 1.4 firmware.
And don't call me noob you flaming *sshole!

Last edited by a moderator:
cbox posted on Apr 29 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
Does this version have the built in usb drivers for external devices?
yes but you must have a BoB to have USb host to your gp2x

cheap-plastic posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
aapje89 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 08:55 AM said:
does this version has samba?

Yes, but you'll need to get USB Networking working first. I haven't managed yet under Linux...
What does that mean getting usb networking to work? When im using xp I just have to connect the gp2x and use this file : http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1473 ?

anyways, samba is cool :)

The USB Networking won't work under Linux because it uses the RNDIS system.

If you want to enable USB Net and other fancy stuff, you go to Settings->System. Change Menu Extension to On and you get all sorts of fancy options.

And the External Storage option is for Mass Storage over USB Host.

aapje89 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 01:39 AM said:
cheap-plastic posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
aapje89 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 08:55 AM said:
does this version has samba?

Yes, but you'll need to get USB Networking working first. I haven't managed yet under Linux...
What does that mean getting usb networking to work? When im using xp I just have to connect the gp2x and use this file : http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1473 ?

anyways, samba is cool :)

Are you joking me? They developed a Linux based handheld but dont support Linux networking?
Can someone please confirm what he just said.

bmilleker posted on Apr 29 2006 at 01:08 PM said:
Are you joking me? They developed a Linux based handheld but dont support Linux networking?
Can someone please confirm what he just said.

It's true. There's some more about this here http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/ in the "Smart USB Peripherals ("Gadgets")"-section

Linux PDAs, and other embedded systems like DOCSIS cable modems, are much the same. They act as Hosts in the networking sense while they are "devices" in the USB sense, so they behave like the other end of a host-to-host cable. All that's needed is the USB-IF Communications Device Class (CDC) "Ethernet" class, or a simplified variant if the hardware can't implement CDC to spec. (Unless you listen to Microsoft, who will tell you not to use such vendor-neutral protocols. They think a complex and poorly documented protocol they defined, RNDIS, is better for them.)
Recent Linux kernels (2.6.14 and later) include experimental support for the RNDIS protocol. Since that's the only USB networking protocol built into MS-Windows, it's interesting even though it's a proprietary protocol with only incomplete public documentation. The driver is young, but it seems to work with at least some Nokia cell phones.

You have to use a different version of g_ether.o to be able to use networking with a linux box. I got mine from theoddbot but I can't remember the url now. I'll upload it to my server in a minute.

I can connect to my gp2x using usbnet without problems in my 2.6.11 Gentoo kernel :)

The most amazing thing is connect to the samba server in my PC from the gp2x so I can launch games directly from the hard drive, without SD card, just after compiling them :)

It's an incredible new opportunity to developers :D

just succesfully updated to 2.0 (from 1.01 i think) using the integral card that i got with my gp2x from gp2x.co.uk

it did hang after the first screen, but the old start/select worked and it carried on.
took about 4 mins in total, 2 of them waiting nervously to see if it would carry on before turning it off.

thanks to guyfawkes for the guide :)

woogal posted on Apr 29 2006 at 02:37 PM said:
Driver that works with a linux box (for those that aren't as lucky as puck) - http://gp2x.sector808.org/g_ether.o

Put that on the gp2x in /lib/modules/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget (or something like that - keep looking around until you find the existing g_ether.o)

Thx a lot! I'll try it out :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
er...so what exactly can i do with Samba? and please put this in laymens terms as im a moron :)
samba allows you to network with a linux PC to a windows PC, I believe

Back