Firmware 2.0.0 Next Week!

uh..sorry for my haste...yes now it works fine...i dont' know what was the problem sicne i've already formatted it

tnx anyway

How do I get the USB Networking working?

Connect USB cable to gp2x and PC
Setting/USB networking = on
set up to 192.168.0.9
exit
PC picked up device
installed RNDIS drivers

now what?

Tried to map a drive to:
\\192.168.0.9\gp2x

but nothing happen

Any one got this to work?

Nickmon posted on Apr 30 2006 at 10:32 PM said:

set up to 192.168.0.9
exit
PC picked up device
installed RNDIS drivers
When you enable the USB networking, a new network connection should appear in your "network connections" control panel. If you configure the new network connection to match your GP2X (or vice-versa, of course) you should be able to connect to the GP2X. For example, I have my GP2X set to 10.1.0.235, and the USB network connection set to 10.1.0.1. The GP2X netmask seems to default to 255.0.0.0, and you can leave your default gateway and DNS addresses empty.

If you have a router on your LAN which has DHCP enabled, it's possible that the default 192.168.x.x address could be upsetting the router's DHCP server, or conflicting with another device on your network (e.g. broadband modem).

I imagine you have got this far, though, and you should be able to at least ping the GP2X successfully. Remember that you will need to enable the appropriate servers for the services you want to use. So in your case you also need to enable the Samba server. The workgroup name is "WORKGROUP", and the machine name seems to be "GP2X-F100", but are configurable in the usual place (/etc/samba/smb.conf). *EDIT* I forgot to mention that the service name is "gp2x".

I noticed that if you enable the Samba or HTTP servers, they will use up memory even when idle, as the servers are started as daemon processes, instead of being started via inetd (another change for the next firmware release, perhaps?)

Last edited by a moderator:
scorpio posted on Apr 30 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
Nickmon posted on Apr 30 2006 at 10:32 PM said:

set up to 192.168.0.9
exit
PC picked up device
installed RNDIS drivers
When you enable the USB networking, a new network connection should appear in your "network connections" control panel. If you configure the new network connection to match your GP2X (or vice-versa, of course) you should be able to connect to the GP2X. For example, I have my GP2X set to 10.1.0.235, and the USB network connection set to 10.1.0.1. The GP2X netmask seems to default to 255.0.0.0, and you can leave your default gateway and DNS addresses empty.

If you have a router on your LAN which has DHCP enabled, it's possible that the default 192.168.x.x address could be upsetting the router's DHCP server, or conflicting with another device on your network (e.g. broadband modem).

I imagine you have got this far, though, and you should be able to at least ping the GP2X successfully. Remember that you will need to enable the appropriate servers for the services you want to use. So in your case you also need to enable the Samba server. The workgroup name is "WORKGROUP", and the machine name seems to be "GP2X-F100", but are configurable in the usual place (/etc/samba/smb.conf). *EDIT* I forgot to mention that the service name is "gp2x".

I noticed that if you enable the Samba or HTTP servers, they will use up memory even when idle, as the servers are started as daemon processes, instead of being started via inetd (another change for the next firmware release, perhaps?)

I get a new item in Windows network connections (of type linix usb ethernet), pops in when i connect the usb to the gp2x.
Stays as 'acquiring network address' in the status on xp, then goes to 'limited or no connectivity'
Have usb networking/samba and ftp options set on on gp2x.

Yes there is a router on the network.
Set computer network to WORKGROUP (and rebooted)

any ideas
?

Nickmon posted on May 1 2006 at 12:21 AM said:
I get a new item in Windows network connections (of type linix usb ethernet), pops in when i connect the usb to the gp2x.
Stays as 'acquiring network address' in the status on xp, then goes to 'limited or no connectivity'
Have usb networking/samba and ftp options set on on gp2x.
A-ha, if I remember correctly, when the USB network driver is installed on the PC, it doesn't have an IP address set, and it tries to get an IP address from a DHCP server. I'm guessing that in your TCP/IP settings for the USB network connection, the IP and DNS address sections are set to get an address automatically.

Try putting in a fixed IP address and see if that works. I forgot about this, because the first thing I do when doing any network setup is ditch DHCP. Personally I always use the 10.x.x.x subnet, so perhaps you could try configuring things with that and see if it works?

Edit: I should also mention that although it will work if you configure the USB network driver to be part of the same subnet as one of you existing network connections, you may find that after a while one of the connections stops working properly. So, you would be best to make sure that the GP2X and the USB network driver are on a different subnet to any others in your system.

I also noticed that it's the machine description that is "GP2X-F100", the machine name is "GP2X", sorry about that. I was distracted by the snooker and misread the file! So, you should be able to use "net use x: \\gp2x\gp2x" (I tested it, and that works here.)

Well whoopdee doo, the firmware is up but it won't let me register
blech!
Oh and hi all, I've been off the forums for a while, not that I was a big poster or anything. I almost ripped my foot off when I did it, but I got a DS and its amazing :) But my GP2X still conquers my homeroom time at school :p 8)

Edit: And my friends still have no idea what a GP2X is, silly californians :rolleyes:

LemurX posted on May 1 2006 at 06:28 AM said:
blech!
Oh and hi all, I've been off the forums for a while, not that I was a big poster or anything. I almost ripped my foot off when I did it, but I got a DS and its amazing :) But my GP2X still conquers my homeroom time at school :p 8)

Edit: And my friends still have no idea what a GP2X is, silly californians :rolleyes:

Use the download from the file archive, then :p. It's the same firmware, unless I'm much mistaken.

Tobriand posted on May 1 2006 at 04:23 AM said:
LemurX posted on May 1 2006 at 06:28 AM said:
blech!

Use the download from the file archive, then :p. It's the same firmware, unless I'm much mistaken.
Silly Tobriand, ours is much better :D

ARGH! This be farcical! I... didn't notice the Start and Select thing earlier in the thread. :blink:

[EDIT] FINALLY! (ahem)

New stuff is too confusing! What's with the System menu? What is Ext Storage? Is it for connecting a drive or something? Am I just being a mong? Why can't GPH include just a txt file to explain the additions? :angry: :ph34r:

Mr. Pointless posted on May 1 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
ARGH! This be farcical! I... didn't notice the Start and Select thing earlier in the thread. :blink:

[EDIT] FINALLY! (ahem)

New stuff is too confusing! What's with the System menu? What is Ext Storage? Is it for connecting a drive or something? Am I just being a mong? Why can't GPH include just a txt file to explain the additions? :angry: :ph34r:
External Storage is for upcoming breakout box or a hard drive attached via usb (i think)
System menu gives greater control over the system.

Has someone tried the external storage, it would be awesome if i can use my Archos. I think the usb device has to be selfpowered as the GP2X does not have a real usb host (no 5v output).

Well, I am about to update my newly aquired GP2X from firmware 1.2.1 to the new 2.0. I am nervous as hell about this, so lets pray it goes well!

I upgraded today, with no problem at all thanks to the input I got here. TelcoLou's step-by-step instruction I found extremely helpful, so I will now re-quote it to help ward off further silly questions. Please remember not to skip step #12. Thanks!

Oh- I used a SanDisk 1GB card

TelcoLou posted on Apr 28 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
1. Re-formatted my Impact™ SD Card to FAT32 using a card reader
2. Installed the files on the card
3. Inserted the card in my '2X
4. Turned on the power
5. Saw the boot screen, then the "Firmware Upgrading" screen
6. Saw the green screen, which now said firmware 2.0 ... and waited ...
7 - 10. ... and waited, and waited ...
11. Shit my pants, thinking I bricked my '2X
12. Changed my shorts
13. Turned off the power for 10 seconds
14. Powered back on while holding start + select
15. Saw the "Now Patching" screen
16. Waited
17. Saw the "Now Formatting" screen
18. Waited
19. Voila! It seems to work ...
20. Re-booted and heard the gay little boot-up tune and danced the dance of joy :D

Now I get to re-do my award-winning Windows 95 Skin ;)

Been stuck on the "Formatting" screen for about 15 minutes now.... :huh:

gleng posted on May 7 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
Been stuck on the "Formatting" screen for about 15 minutes now.... :huh:
It doesn't take that long. Reboot with Select+Start. If that doesn't work, use a different card.

Back