Firmware 2.0.0 Next Week!

I think after all the problem with the last firmware release, they want to make sure things go to plan this time - which probably means a wider group of people giving the "OK" before it gets publically released.

The last thing you want is a rushed release and a bricked 2x, right?

Perphaps a wider open-beta may have gotten some quicker results, I know first hand however that if they were to do that the quality of the feedback would drop massively, not to mention a steep increase in work. I'm optimistic for a good quality release this time round. :)

C.

i've got the 2.0.1 beta on my 'spare' GP2X (i have two, since the work i'm doing is brick'ish) and it is pretty nice .. bootup time still doesn't match the art103/cramfs rig on my other development gp2x, but it sure is nice to see the new menu options..

haven't run into any major bugs yet - the upgrade process was a little finicky, i can imagine it giving a few people headaches.. in my opinion the reason for this is that there simply isn't enough feedback in the screens about what is going on .. while you sit there looking at the screen do nothing, it can really feel like you've bricked your unit, and this could cause people to power cycle at inopportune moments, for sure. plus, to get the new u-boot and filesystem onboard, you have to do a bit of "hold down the keys and power cycle when you're supposed to" trickery, and the only way people will find out about this is if they read the docs .. so the docs released with the firmware upgrade better be very, very clear .. in fact there should be a FAQ released with all firmware upgrades by now, i would imagine ..

but once you get it on there, FW2.0.1 is pretty nice. definitely boots faster than the previous releases, and seems to me to be quite stable .. the only bug i've found is with selecting "EXT Media" when there isn't anything plugged in .. this crashes gp2xmenu for some reason, and there seems to be some case where the system can't auto-restart gp2xmenu after a crash .. bit dodgy .. but other than that: rock solid. and not just coz i've got a serial/JTAG cable, either! ;)

Hmm I am somewhat sceptical. If I know that upgrading will do any good for me, I definately will but right now I cannot use any of the new "features" as I have all the improvements I wanted through cramfs. If this is going to improve the display settings and play time seriously I guess I am going to do it. First gotta see some more feedback from the people on the board.

i just uploaded it to the gp2x archive at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,1472

This is quite a big update and it is required that you flash the filesystem this time so please make sure you are using fresh batteries or a power supply otherwise you may end up bricking your GP2X. I will be updating the GP2X User Guide in the next day or two so if you are unsure please wait until then.

Is it just put all files onto root and then boot up pressing start and select?
Can anyone make a readme sort of thingy.

hmm thats a new one patching please wait
oo and formating to... i hope this works and doesnt brink my 2x :S

oo it has worked i have the original skins back hmm oh wel lets see whats new
theres a new icon under settings is called system i wonder whats in there

well is says

SOUND
Volume Limit on off

NAND
Mount on Boot on off
Format yes no

AUTO RUN
Auto run on off

ADVANCED
Menu extentions on off

USB HOST
USB Host on off always on
Storage on off
Human interface on off

USB NETWORK
USB Network on off always on
IP 192.168.0.x

SERVER
Web server on off always on
FTP,Telnet server on off always on
Samba server on off always on

also under the Video, Game , music , photo , E-Book, Explorer and Utility menus there is a new option EXT Storeage

+ it takes 8-13 seconds to boot and plays a little 1sec tune at u when u turn it on :D update it rocks :D

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 28 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
i just uploaded it to the gp2x archive at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,1472

This is quite a big update and it is required that you flash the filesystem this time so please make sure you are using fresh batteries or a power supply otherwise you may end up bricking your GP2X. I will be updating the GP2X User Guide in the next day or two so if you are unsure please wait until then.
Wow, it's really a big one. But not dare to proceed without some kind of readme... I think I'll just wait for a while... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
z32fairlady posted on Apr 28 2006 at 01:50 PM said:
Guyfawkes posted on Apr 28 2006 at 08:02 PM said:

Wow, it's really a big one. But not dare to proceed without some kind of readme... I think I'll just wait for a while... :(
Seconded on that readme/guide...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back