Release Firefox 24.0 in repo

Nah, you'll definitely want 27. That's when their Flash alternative gets integrated. So far it is looking to be better than the official adobe plugin.

25 and 26 also have a lot of new features but you probably don't care (or even notice) when some web pages don't render quite correctly. That's really more developer stuff. Definitely get 27 though.

edit: apparently 26 also has a lot of memory improvements. May be useful on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to undersatnd first why i nee to do that on my Pandora while on my desktop PC running Linux all extensions install just fine without root access. It should NOT be different.
I second this. Something is very wrong. My card is FAT32 formatted, so absolutely no way there can be a permission error, yet I am unable to install extensions. It creates the "extensions" directory, inside that it creates the "staged" directory, but then it "cannot modify the needed file". Thinking it was a profile problem I deleted my profile directory; it was unable to create a new one. I can go to /mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla/firefox and manually create files and directories, yet Firefox seems to be unable to do so sometimes (yet sometimes it can, like saving bookmarks and whatnot)This didn't used to be a problem, I installed plugins on FF20 without issue, created profiles in the past. I was able to create a new profile and install my extensions by manually mounting the PND and running firefox.sh as root, but that shouldn't be needed at all. Is this new release touching the NAND for some reason before unpacking extensions or creating a new profile?

Is this new release touching the NAND for some reason before unpacking extensions or creating a new profile?

This is exactly what I am pointing at. If you need Root access it probably means it wants to write something to the NAND. Oddly enough, some extensions just work fine so I am wondering if there is something is some particular extensions that want to try to system directories but fail to be able to do so. 

Is this new release touching the NAND for some reason before unpacking extensions or creating a new profile?

This is exactly what I am pointing at. If you need Root access it probably means it wants to write something to the NAND. Oddly enough, some extensions just work fine so I am wondering if there is something is some particular extensions that want to try to system directories but fail to be able to do so. 
Grumble :) Give me a failing addon and I'll investigate.

Ok here are several ones which fail to install:

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

- read it later (it changed names but you can still find it by looking at this name)

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

- read it later (it changed names but you can still find it by looking at this

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

- read it later (it changed names but you can still find it by looking at this name)
Ok, I can reproduce the problem.

For me, it's because I'm running the pnd from NAND and therefore the write unionfs is there too. When the installer attempts to extract the dictionary zip (for rikaichan), there isn't enough space to create a 31MB file.

Solution - delete some stuff from NAND.

You can verify if the problem is the same, by turning on:

devtools.errorconsole.enabled

and

extensions.logging.enabled

Use ctrl+shift+j to bring up the error console.

Clear it.

Install the extension.

See if the error returned is NS_ERROR_FILE_DISK_FULL.

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

- read it later (it changed names but you can still find it by looking at this

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

Ok, I can reproduce the problem.
For me, it's because I'm running the pnd from NAND and therefore the write unionfs is there too. When the installer attempts to extract the dictionary zip (for rikaichan), there isn't enough space to create a 31MB file.

Solution - delete some stuff from NAND.

You can verify if the problem is the same, by turning on:

devtools.errorconsole.enabled

and

extensions.logging.enabled

Use ctrl+shift+j to bring up the error console.

Clear it.

Install the extension.

See if the error returned is NS_ERROR_FILE_DISK_FULL.
are you saying all extensions go in the NAND by default?

I'm not running from NAND, I'm running from a FAT32 formatted SD card with 12GB of free space. I cannot install extensions or create a new profile unless run as root.

For me, it's because I'm running the pnd from NAND and therefore the write unionfs is there too ******
Well you are probably one of the very few people running it from NAND and I dont, and just like wizardstan said I have tons of free space and these extensions I mentioned wont install.

So isnt it another problem than just free space?

For me, it's because I'm running the pnd from NAND and therefore the write unionfs is there too ******
Well you are probably one of the very few people running it from NAND and I dont, and just like wizardstan said I have tons of free space and these extensions I mentioned wont install.

So isnt it another problem than just free space?
In that case can you run with the debug console as I suggested & show us why your installations are failing?

"Failed to install: ReferenceError: aPermissions is not defined"

"Failed to set permissions 755 on /mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla/firefox/f3f3vy67.default/extensions/staged/shumway@research.mozilla.org"

"Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)"

Just a guess, but it would seem that it is trying to set permissions for the file and failing (because it's on FAT32 I guess) and that failure is preventing the rest of the install. When run as root, no such errors.

Of course, since it's FAT32, changing the permissions has absolutely no effect, it just returns success when run as root and failure otherwise.

You running from NAND, and anyone else running from a permissioned file system SD card, wouldn't have this problem, the user would be able to set the permissions without error.

"Failed to set permissions 755 on /mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla/firefox/f3f3vy67.default/extensions/staged/shumway@research.mozilla.org"

Just a guess, but it would seem that it is trying to set permissions for the file and failing (because it's on FAT32 I guess) and that failure is preventing the rest of the install. When run as root, no such errors.

Of course, since it's FAT32, changing the permissions has absolutely no effect, it just returns success when run as root and failure otherwise.

You running from NAND, and anyone else running from a permissioned file system SD card, wouldn't have this problem, the user would be able to set the permissions without error.
SO are you saying that a number of extensions are not asking for such permissions but just a few ones?

SO are you saying that a number of extensions are not asking for such permissions but just a few ones?
I didn't try that many. Maybe just the ones that need to be decompressed? I seem to recall that some plugins need to be decompressed and others just leave the xpi sitting there, but I can't remember where I read that.Try the debug console like hdonk suggests for a broken extension and a good one and see if there's a difference. Does the good one talk about unpacking?

It's worth clicking through the link to the code, to see if there is a try/catch block that just ignores the error - From what I remember of reading this code, the changing of permissions can fail but be ignored. If that's not the case, I should patch it & rebuild FF.

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

For yuks, I created an empty vfat loopback partition, install FF24 in to it, then added all three of these extensions, successfully.

I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

I need the debug output to even look at it, as I cannot reproduce the problem.

- rikaichan

- furigana injector

For yuks, I created an empty vfat loopback partition, install FF24 in to it, then added all three of these extensions, successfully.

I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

I need the debug output to even look at it, as I cannot reproduce the problem.
Should I cleanup my appfolder and retry again before sending you a report?

Should I cleanup my appfolder and retry again before sending you a report?
If I were you, I'd rename my /pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001 to something else, so you don't lose your settings, then try again & capture the debug report.

Back