Final Frontier Trader

No, that's actually the speed FE2 runs on a real Atari ST. I was most diappointed when I realised that back in the day of CaSTawayGP on the old 32. That was why I asked Skeezix if he could include an option to overclock the M68000 core by a few MHz; 3D games *might* (no real way of knowing) become a lot more playable all of a sudden.

The response was that timings are crazy so it would have unpredictable effects - so he wasn't going to give it a shot. Hopefully, though, sooner or later he'll change his mind...

Damn, I got home all excited about playing Frontier on OutcaST, but when I installed it on the GP2X and started playing I was really disappointed. The game runs way too slow to be playable (something around 3-4 FPS), but it was said that this emulator runs full speed with sound? I didn't hear any sound either... So am I doing something wrong, or is this really how it is?

Back in the day, Frontier could overload a normal ST pretty easily. I don't think I ever got much out of it until I got a P75 with DOS and ran that version.

Last edited by a moderator:
to have FRONTIER: ELITE II on GP2X would be a dream... please port someone this GLFrontier without OpenGL support.
I looked on PSP port controls and seems fine so on GP2X may not be a problem with controls too.

psychotron posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:21 AM said:
please port someone this GLFrontier without OpenGL support.

I don't get it, is there a version of GLFrontier that does NOT require OpenGL? Because if not, it is impossible to port unless everything that needs OpenGL is re-coded, which would require A LOT of work. It could barely be called 'porting'.

Paulo Becker posted on Sep 26 2006 at 03:24 PM said:
psychotron posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:21 AM said:
please port someone this GLFrontier without OpenGL support.

I don't get it, is there a version of GLFrontier that does NOT require OpenGL? Because if not, it is impossible to port unless everything that needs OpenGL is re-coded, which would require A LOT of work. It could barely be called 'porting'.

I write mail to author of GLFrontier with questions about OpenGL support. Screens of PSP port looks like they are without OpenGL and this screenshot from the GLFrontier project page is without OpenGL too.

Browsing the web today I find some sources for other ELITE games too (all without OpenGL I think):

FFE:
http://jaj22.org.uk/jjffe/
http://www.energymech.net/users/proton/ffe/linux.html
http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/jjffe/
ELITE:
http://membres.lycos.fr/kris4leloo/
http://www.geocities.com/dmalykhanov/utils/elite.html

too bad I'm not programmer so I can't handle it <_< Maybe someone else can port it...

psychotron posted on Sep 28 2006 at 06:26 AM said:
I write mail to author of GLFrontier with questions about OpenGL support. Screens of PSP port looks like they are without OpenGL and this screenshot from the GLFrontier project page is without OpenGL too.
do you know that doesn't use openGL? just because there is no bilinear-filtering, doesn't mean anything.
it will be interesting to hear what info the GLFrontier author comes back with.

shrubberyrobbery posted on Sep 28 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
do you know that doesn't use openGL? just because there is no bilinear-filtering, doesn't mean anything.

Had a look at the source - the GL portion of the source isn't particularly embedded into the code, it's fairly lightweight and detachable, I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to remap to something more useable for the 2x. On the other side of the coin though, someone is working on a fairly promising OpenGL lib for the 2x which could be quite good, so when that comes out it may be just a case of plug in and let's go.

What sort of processor does the PSP use? It seemed like the source relied on rather large chunks of ASM.

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Sep 29 2006 at 12:51 PM said:
shrubberyrobbery posted on Sep 28 2006 at 08:14 PM said:

Had a look at the source - the GL portion of the source isn't particularly embedded into the code, it's fairly lightweight and detachable, I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to remap to something more useable for the 2x. On the other side of the coin though, someone is working on a fairly promising OpenGL lib for the 2x which could be quite good, so when that comes out it may be just a case of plug in and let's go.

What sort of processor does the PSP use? It seemed like the source relied on rather large chunks of ASM.

Allan.
PSP uses a MIPS processor, all asm would have to be rewritten for ARM.

Back