Final Burn Alpha

Yoshi Dragon said:
The Pandora port is based on the latest FB Alpha version 0.2.97.21. It supports 2850 arcade games incl. CPS3 (+MD/PCE games). The Caanoo port is based on a old FB Alpha version, supports 930 games and many of them don't work.

A port would be very desirable, but I don't know how it performs on a Caanoo. SFIII 3rd strike needs to overclocked to 1 GHz on the Pandora, to get more than 40 FPS.

I see! I'll take a look at it then. Could you name a ROM that isn't supported at the moment but works on the Pandora? Maybe not SFIII, something that runs relatively good on the pandora, so I have something to test with?

Last edited by a moderator:
stritfajt said:
I see! I'll take a look at it then. Could you name a ROM that isn't supported at the moment but works on the Pandora? Maybe not SFIII, something that runs relatively good on the pandora, so I have something to test with?
I created a spreadsheet with Caanoo test results...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydFhxa18yclotV1huVVNLVXFwUnhKOHc#gid=3

I would say, all non-working games in this sheet run fine on the Pandora. Examples are AOF 3, Metal Slug 2-6, all Sega games.

In the meantime I was looking at the source code for the Caanoo version of FBA and I'm thinking of changing the button config and recompiling it, As it is, it sux for Streetfighter games.

Well that would be very useful.

I'm quite sure CPS3 games won't be playable but a working set of roms will be easy to find with this version.

I like to see CPS3 on caanoo, in psp is not full speed but isn't too bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CenoGB56Yz0&feature=related

psp 333mhz (overclock) vs. caanoo 830mhz (overclock) sure can run better on caanoo

p.d. I find a new title and icon

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&q=fba2x#/d4rqft6

That video is far from full speed and I don't know, if it makes sense to play SF III with 20 fps. To be honest, I don't know, if it makes any sense to play games like Street Fighter on the Caanoo at all, due to it's analog controls, but nonetheless, it would be nice, if FBA would support more games. So, if somebody is willing and able to port one of the later versions of Final Burn, your effort will be appreciated.

stritfajt said:
Yoshi Dragon said:
The Pandora port is based on the latest FB Alpha version 0.2.97.21. It supports 2850 arcade games incl. CPS3 (+MD/PCE games). The Caanoo port is based on a old FB Alpha version, supports 930 games and many of them don't work.

A port would be very desirable, but I don't know how it performs on a Caanoo. SFIII 3rd strike needs to overclocked to 1 GHz on the Pandora, to get more than 40 FPS.

Anything new you can tell?

Yoshi Dragon said:

I'd like to create a fullset, do you know which .dat I should take to make it ?

BAFelton said:
Yoshi Dragon said:

I'd like to create a fullset, do you know which .dat I should take to make it ?
You can generate a dat file using the emulator...

fbagendat.jpg

Previous versions of FBA can be found here...

http://www.emucr.com/search/label/FBA?&max-results=12

Thanx Yoshi !

In fact, I just did not make myself clear :) I was talking of a full set for FBA Caanoo. Any idea of which version it needs ?

Ok, I probably misunderstood your question.

Well, the Caanoo version is based on the GP2X version, which has already a certain history. I don't know if this version has evolved in the same way as FBA on Windows. I think the initial GP2X release was based on a certain version of FBA and new games were added over time. Probably like MAME4ALL. The first version was based on MAME 0.37b5 and games from newer MAME versions have been added over time, see version history here.

Therefore, there's probably not a single FBA ROM set which fits the Caanoo version. I use an old FBA set (0.2.97.06) to test the games. If they don't work, I compare the ROM CRCs with WinKawaks, NeoRAGEx, older MAME versions and test again, if they are different.

Unfortunately, a lot of games seem not to work on the current Caanoo version. At the end of the day, it's quite some try and error, at least for some games.

A port from the Pandora version would help a lot in this matter. It is based on a new FBA ROM set and fully compatible. Even if some newer games would not run fast enough on the Caanoo, there is at least a fully compatible ROM set available. A lot more compared to the current version.

I have now tested (almost) all 924 ROMs, here the results...

The tested ROM version can now be found in the spreadsheet. As a next step, I will try to get some of the NOKs to work.

What I already can say, Sega and bigger Neo Geo games don't work in general. Bigger ROMs probably need a caching/streaming mechanism (if not already implemented).

One question. Is it possible to find out, which ROM files the emulator tries to load? Something like turning on a trace?

Woho! O.O
What a work! Thanks! :D
But I'm a bit disappointed, how many roms don't work! D:

Thanks for your hard work. Hope Reesy or someone more improve the emulator

@Yoshi Dragon:
when do you indicate the ROM tested is for MAME, what's the difference? I see that neither Batraider nor Battle Bakraid are working on my Caanoo.

THX for the great job!

Well, I started testing with a FBA 0.2.97.06 compatible ROM set. If a ROM was missing, had a different name or did not work, I looked for alternative versions. In case of Batrider and Battle Bakraid, I found a working version in a MAME 0.106 compatible ROM set.

Let's take Batrider as an example. FBA2X requires the file batrider.zip to recognize the game, but the FBA 0.2.97.06 file name is batrid.zip. This is already an indicator for an incompatible version. I could just rename batrid.zip to batrider.zip and check if it works. Instead of that, I search my ROM sets for batrider.zip, check whether I find different versions and try them out.

Now let's compare batrid.zip (FBA 0.2.97.06) and batrider.zip (MAME 0.106)...

batridfba029706.jpg
batridermame0106.jpg

The ROM files are almost identical, but first file has a different name and content (CRC). I don't know whether FBA2X looks for the ROM files by name. Some emulators load the ROM files by CRC, see here.

However, this means, the game exists (at least) in 2 different versions. batrid.zip was not even recognized by FBA2X, because the .zip name did not match. Since batrider.zip from MAME 0.106 worked, testing for this game was complete.

For your reference, here the working ROMs for Batrider and Battle Bakraid...

batriderfba2x.jpg

bbakraidfba2x.jpg

Hope this helps.

Yoshi Dragon said:
Hope this helps.

YES!! Thank you for the exhaustive explanation :)
Once I used CLRMAME do modify some ROMs to play them with MAME4All, but I have never done that since I passed to FBA2X. I will try to find another version for batrider.

Back