Film Converstion

150MB for 42 minutes is still a LOT if your aim is to get quite a bit on your card cos you'll be away from a computer... As people said, entire movies have been stuck on 128 MB SMC cards for the GP32 and it still looked pretty well, and you can use better codecs for the GP2X.
I'd say you could probably slice those numbers in half and still get pretty decent quality.

I'd reccommend 512+kbps for video, and 192kbps audio.
wow, have you ever even compared that with lower settings?

Theres realy no point to use such high bitrates on a handheld device, try divx6 2pass 250 kbps 320*240 20fps, 32 or 64 kbps audio mono 22khz.

You realy barly see a difference above that on a 3'5" screen, and 6
4kbps is perfecktly fine for moveies.

i'm a mac user, iv'è played with d-vision (a program that uses mencoder) using xvid codec with aac at 92kbps..

i've encoded a 30 minutes anime to 100mb and the quality is very good.. :p

i'll try to sqeeze it to 50-60mb :D

Anything animated can be converted to 15fps with almost no noticable quality difference. I converted anime for my gp32 with virtualdub, had it render every other frame, and wound up with great quality videos at about 40mb each. By rendering every other frame, you also double your encode speed.

At that size, you could fit an entire season of anime on an SD card with room to spare.

Xvid doesn't work properly?!?!
I just finished encoding my anime and other random movie/tv show collection into xvid 320x240! Does this mean i'll have to start over with divx? Also, about how small can you make a 20-25 minute anime at 320x240 without losing too much quality? (I encoded mine into 100MB each)
I got a full family guy episode at great quality down to 15.5mb.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have several episodes of gundam wing at about 65mb with pretty good quality 320x240 at about 20fps 50kbps? i will have to check when i get home

First, I think this thread - the technical bits, anyway - deserves being stickied and more fully explained for various pieces of software.

Second, this is the first time I've noticed your sig, Chip, which is probably the single greatest line from Pratchett or, to be honest, any novel in the last half century.

Back