Few questions on pandora

How good is mini menu now and does wifi work in mini menu?

Does mini menu have multi tasking now?

Is suspend to ram fully functional?

Is there a vpn client? Currently use the integrated Open VPN on Linux mint.

Does encryption work well?

How good is N64 emulation now?

Has anyone tried Pandebian or slackware and how does it compare to angstrom?

How good is mini menu now and does wifi work in mini menu?

WiFi works, but you can't connect to networks within MiniMenu; you need to do that in Xfce, then you can go back to MiniMenu and use the network like normal.

Does mini menu have multi tasking now?

No. It's not designed for multitasking. Xfce is better for that.

Is suspend to ram fully functional?

Yes.

How good is N64 emulation now?

Quite good, actually. Lots of games run full speed with a little overclocking, including:

- Super Smash Bros

- F-Zero X

- Mario Kart 64

GoldenEye 007 is a bit slow, but tolerable.

Lots of games have graphical glitches, though, at least on the classic edition (I don't know about the 1GHz version); for example, in Super Smash Bros, the faces of most characters don't show up, and you can't always see the HUD (that shows damage and lives of the players).

I don't know much about N64 since I only have a few games, so maybe someone else can chime in with more info.

Has anyone tried Pandebian or slackware and how does it compare to angstrom?

Pandebian is integrated inside Angrstrom, it does not run as a separate OS - well, it does in a way but it used the same display system to run on top of Angrstrom. It's great to install applications that are more recent and directly from the repositories, but it's VERY LONG to install and in my case it crashed once after a while and I lost the courage to reinstall it again.

Slackware seems to be good but Linux-Swat is the best person to answer that. However there are limitations as to what you can do, it is not as customized for the Pandora as Angrstrom super zaxxon version.

Also what is ordering time like now? If i order today am I on an indefinite list or will it go straight away?

Also if I order and pick up from Amsterdam will I not pay UK vat? :rolleyes:

Also what is ordering time like now? If i order today am I on an indefinite list or will it go straight away?

ED has Pandoras in stock and ready to ship at the Dragonbox shop

Edit :ph34r: ^

It really can't be stressed enough that ED & Link should make every effort to clarify the fact that the lamentable situation which applies to OPLtd (Craig in UK) regarding supply of newly ordered Pandoras does not apply to their shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow went to Eds shop and checked out and price was 440 euros (350 quid) but when I checked out to paypal it jumped to 393 :blink:

Excuse my french but no way bitch

Spent the last year trying to justify 350

Was that the shipping? I know it cost me $90 US to ship my Pandora back to Germany for repairs.

Wow went to Eds shop and checked out and price was 440 euros (350 quid) but when I checked out to paypal it jumped to 393 :blink:

Excuse my french but no way bitch

Spent the last year trying to justify 350

You can get cheaper ones on Ebay or on the trading section. But believe me, while the Pandora is expensive, it's worth every single euro/dollar you put into it. There's nothing like it.

Don't use paypal, use a normal European bank transfer if you're from Amsterdam. Paypal has a cost I think.

Also, shipping has a cost, but that's inevitable unless you want to make a trip to Bavaria to pick it up yourself.

Avoiding taxes: I don't think that's possible if you're from Europe, unless maybe if you have your own company and can do some dodgy VAT stuff with it, I don't know exactly how that works.

Delivery should be instant from ED's shop (don't take that literally, it'll probably still take a week or so).

Maybe thats taxes?

Edit: ninjad

ah na I'm Anglais however I do have a trip to the 'Dam planned to see a friend so was thinking of ordering it there to avoid the UK's vile 20 percent VAT.

AFAIK you're paying the German 19% VAT, and there's not much ED can do about that. Buying it in any other EU country won't help.

arrrrgh waaaaaaah

*shotgun blasts face off*

Well I guess I will wait more patiently for an eventual price shift :(

I've been keeping an eye on prices for a year so I guess I can be patient longer.

OK I may just go ahead and order and be damned with my common sense.

Three things I do need to know though

1) Does VPN work well?

2) encryption? I see truecrypt is ported. Anyone use it?

3) When I bought one (early 2011) the case cracked after a short period. How good are the new cases?

About 3: The new cases are reportedly better than the old ones - I haven't seen the new ones yet, I still have a black one (probably one of the last ones, I got it in May). After half a year of very intensive use (I don't think there has been a single day it hasn't been used, and maybe it has been powered down for 48h in total or so), it doesn't have any case problems at all, except for a tiny hairline crack at the USB port (barely noticeable), one somewhat broken tab on the battery lid (it doesn't cause any problems though and is not visible from the outside), and some scratches (barely noticeable because of the matte finish). So that's quite durable considering that it spends a lot of time travelling around in my pockets.The silver cases are supposed to be even stronger, so I wouldn't worry about that. Obviously it's still not something you want to drop too many times or otherwise abuse, but with normal care and normal use, it certainly won't start falling apart or something.

That's good to hear your case has been good to you.

My case broke at the hinge after moderate use for a month. Ended up moving countries so knocked it on the head for a while.

Anyone got one of the new cases? Is it as brittle?

Back