Favorite SNES games you think others might be missing out on

Halcyon

One of the Major reasons I will be getting a Pandora is for a full speed SNES emulator, I have the good fortune to own an SF Professor 2 and have been able to play many "exotic" SNES games over the years. I would say that most of us like Chrono Trigger and FF6, ect. However this is list of games that I think might be unnoticed that are pretty fun. If these are too obvious forgive me.

O.B. Club: This is a 4 player mini golf game that came out in japan only. The game is in japanese but easy to understand, way fun with friends not so much on your own.

Parodious: I think this has been re released a few times and there is a good version on the PSP but fun if you like 2D shooters

Street Racer: like mario kart but 4 players, yeah they have a 4 player split screen battle unlike MK64 all the screens stack on each other pretty strange :)

Top Gear 3000: maybe nothing special anymore but this was awesome in the day, again 4 players and the music was/is incredible, plus some really trippy backgrounds, looking for inspiration to write a sci fi novel play a few rounds of this :)

Mario Pictcross: Fun on a bun, if you like 2 player puzzle games here you go, i think a whole summer was spent playing this with one of my brothers, also they made new versions until like 200X "I think" Yeah 200X same time mega man was born!

Well those are the games that I know about that are probably worth checking out if you have never played them.

anyone else got some rare gems, Yeah i know there are like a billion lists like this online all ready with nerds trying to one up each other on eclectic games but this is just for fun so post some ideas :)

My favorite lesser-known SNES game is E.V.O. You choose how to evolve your organism through different time periods, sounds weird for a game but I like it.

I loved those games! too. I recently moved to Europe from the US and had a mad dash the last couple of months on Amazon trying to round out my collection. I didn't get EVO but I did get Smash TV and Rock and Roll Racing. Unfortunately it was not possible for me to "Buy that for a dollar" Did you ever finish Smash TV? I can not for the life of me get to the boss on level 2, that game is just ruthless.

Act Raiser was way fun, and the city building aspect was cool. Did you ever play act raiser 2, that was way hard! Graphics were really nice but man it was just brutal, it was hard like Demon's Crest and similar in some ways i would say.

I was hesitant to put it in the list because I'm not sure i would "recommend it" but Mega man Soccer. It could be fun with a second player.

fuji99 did you ever play a game called Seventh Cross Evolution for the Dreamcast? I have it but never really played it that much, I got it because it sounded like E.V.O. but in 3D it's just not as fun.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Actraiser

Last edited:
these are some of my personal favorites that I don't see listed that often on most "best of" lists, please excuse me if you already are aware of them

<removed>

bahamut lagoon- strategy rpg like fire emblem with a cool story

<removed>

wanders of ys3- platformer with deeper action rpg like qualties

harvest moon- farming sim

king author's world- midevil lemmings

rampart- build castle out of tetris peices, fire cannons at incoming ships each round

shadowrun- cyberpunk rpg

super off road- top down racing game where you see the entire track

yoshi cookie- fun and addicting puzzle game, easy to play hard to master

EDIT: ninjas

Last edited by a moderator:
fuji99 did you ever play a game called Seventh Cross Evolution for the Dreamcast? I have it but never really played it that much, I got it because it sounded like E.V.O. but in 3D it's just not as fun.

I have not, my Dreamcast experience is very limited.

The Soulblazer Trilogy (Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma), especially Terranigma.

Then a lot of games that got fan translations, especially Treasures of the Rudra or Gunmans Proof (a Zelda copy, mixed with Earthbound weirdness :D )

One game not as good but pretty fun would be Magic Knight Rayearth,

7th Saga and 7th Saga II aren't too bad as well.

Those are all RPGs, by the way :)

Super Turrican I is also pretty good, but not as much known as the Amiga games.

I have two to list. One predictable, one less so. :p

1: Rockman & Forte - Officially the "8.5th" game in the Mega Man series (for a long time, a number of people unaware of this dubbed it "Mega Man 9", which it is is not and never was), this was released in 1998 in Japan only, and though it's decently known among fans, a great many people still overlook it. If you like Mega Man, platformer/shooters, challenging games, or all three of these, you'll certainly enjoy this.

2: Sandra no Daibouken - Valkyrie to no Deai / Whirlo - A very challenging platform game, which was apparently from the same team who later went on to produce Klonoa - Door To Phantomile for the PlayStation, Sandra no Daibouken is part of Namco's Valkyrie series. It's much more difficult than many other games of its day, as it uses the "one hit and you die" mechanic (instead of hit-points or a health bar), and requires skill and thought to traverse. There is an English-language PAL version, which for some mysterious reason was only released in Spain, by the name of "Whirlo". The localisation is decent, but a little bit of hand-holding is added in-game, which may not be to everyone's liking.

Let'see, SNES games I like that are not widely known:

- Aretha

I chose this mostly because the Japanese in it is so simple that it helped me on the way as a diversion on my continuing efforts to learn Japanese)

- BS Sutte Hakkun 2

Nice abstract puzzle game/ platformer

- Super Morph

Nice abstract puzzle game/ platformer, similar to Sutte Hakkun 2

- Sanrio World Smash Ball

Nice arcade game that is a bit like Arkanoid for two players.

Back