Fans Of Cluedo.....

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello,

I'm currently working on my next game which just happens to be based on the board game Cluedo (Known as Clue in the USA). I'm really just fishing for ideas and opinions on the rules I have planned.

The game I'm making, although based on the board game differs in several ways, the main difference is that it is aimed entirely at solo play, in fact the whole reason i'm making it is because I haven't found a version of cluedo which is enjoyable to play alone.

Let me know what you think.

Overview of the game

The house is made up of 10 rooms, these rooms are arranged differently each time you play.
There are 8 suspects, unlike the boardgame you play a separate character and not one of the 8 suspects.
There are 9 weapons.

As in the boardgame a weapon, a room and a suspect card is randomly picked, this is the solution to the murder which you need to solve.

The remaining 'cards' are then ditributed between the suspects, this is the info you need to gather to eliminate them from the enquiry. Unlike in the board game these wil be distributed at random so some characters will hold more than others.

Because the game is solo play the aim will be to solve the crime within a set number of moves.

There is no dice rolling, instead a move is spent whenever you change rooms.

You can make a suggestion to any character in a room in much the same way as you would in the boardgame by suggesting a room, weapon and character you suspect of the murder, if the character holds any of the cards you suggest they will show and thus disprove your suggestion. These cards will then be discarded from the characters hand and they will be marked off of your notebook. (which can be viewed at anytime)

Some characters will also know rumours about other characters in the house. You are allowed to ask for a rumour 4 times per game, they will then reveal how much more info the chosen character knows (the number of cards they hold)

You can question suspects as much as you want but they will all have varying patience and once this runs out they will move to another room, they will normally tell you where they are going so that you can find them.

You are allowed to solve the case at anytime, you will also be given the option if you run out of moves. It is obviously wise to have gathered all the info before trying to solve the case though it is possible to solve by luck. (I'm actually unsure about this rule, I'm in two minds about whether you should have to gather all info to be able to win.)

This sounds like a great idea, just reading it brought back memories of playing cluedo with my family about 20 years ago. I loved that game, and I really looking forward to this :)

A cluedo game for the GP2x looks awesome, and the sprites look ace! Good luck! I can't wait.

I didn't got the idea : the encouter rate all is generated by Dungeon Master???

Sorry, me noob at board games, except the aD&D :(

dosteridge said:
This sounds like a great idea, just reading it brought back memories of playing cluedo with my family about 20 years ago. I loved that game, and I really looking forward to this :)
Nova said:
A cluedo game for the GP2x looks awesome, and the sprites look ace! Good luck! I can't wait.
Thanks, hopefully it will be fun. The sprites are static images at the moment though if I have time I'd like to add a little animation to them.

quasist said:
I didn't got the idea : the encouter rate all is generated by Dungeon Master???

Sorry, me noob at board games, except the aD&D :(
Not sure I understand you but there is no encounter rate or dungeon master. Just search for Cluedo on the internet to get an idea as to what the game is about.

p.s Technically AD&D is an RPG and not a board game.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i don't know if cluedo is a game that i could get stuck into, but it cerntainly seems like an intersting idea.
I will look forward to seeing how you create this game with a single player set of rules !
(No dice roll is kinda clever i guess)

Keep updates coming : )

Will your game have Tim Curry in it?

clue90in1.jpg

Ravnos said:
Will your game have Tim Curry in it?

clue90in1.jpg
No unfortunately :D . Wadsworth - the charcter he played in the film is in it though (second from left in my sig) and so is Yvette (second from right). I love that Movie :D .

ruckage that is a brilliant idea. the graphics on your sig
are looking really good all the best on the new project

rokdcasbah said:
communism was a red herring!

i can't believe you guys call it cluedo. is that said "clue-doe" or "clue-doo"?
Cluedo is actually the proper name, it's you Americans that have it wrong :p. Apparently it was named Cluedo as a combination of the word Clue and Ludo. However Ludo in the USA is called Parcheesi so you could have ended up with it being called Cluecheesi :D .

3 of the room backgrounds I'll be using in the game, 7 more to go.....

bgpreviewvs9.jpg

Ruckage: which application and platform are you using to design these graphics? Did you design those rooms from scratch or apply effects to photographs?

Cheers

Thunor said:
Ruckage: which application and platform are you using to design these graphics? Did you design those rooms from scratch or apply effects to photographs?

Cheers
Firstly I designed and rendered the rooms in Bryce (some of the models used were found freely available on the internet). I then used a photoshop plugin called Buzz simplifier and a few other effects to give it the painted look.

Here's some comparison shots for you to see - original render is on the left.

comparisonqw6.jpg

Ruckage:

I know you were trying to get enough donations from your stuff to be able to afford to buy (the excellent) Cosmigo Pro-Motion software (worth from $US78.00). Have you managed that yet?

Line O'Sevens said:
Ruckage:

I know you were trying to get enough donations from your stuff to be able to afford to buy (the excellent) Cosmigo Pro-Motion software (worth from $US78.00). Have you managed that yet?
Not quite enough yet though I'm very grateful for the donations I have received. I actually used some of the donation money to pay toward the cost of upgrading to version 6 of Bryce which is now being used for this project.

Here's another pic of an idea I had. Old movie mode :) , I think it would suit the theme of the game.

oldmovieml5.gif

ruckage said:
Line O'Sevens said:
Ruckage:

Not quite enough yet though I'm very grateful for the donations I have received. I actually used some of the donation money to pay toward the cost of upgrading to version 6 of Bryce which is now being used for this project.

Here's another pic of an idea I had. Old movie mode :) , I think it would suit the theme of the game.

oldmovieml5.gif

I love the black and white! That is awesome! You should make the whole game in black and white! except for the blood that is.. ;)

To spice up the game, some cool dialogues would be really great (like the ones from the old movies :D)

So, not only simple questions, but maybe some clues hidden in the answers and dialogues.
And maybe even some clues hidden in the rooms :)

Maybe you don't have a max number of moves, but the murderer starts getting on your trail after a while... and you need to be fast enough finding him before he kills you :D

Back