Fallout 1

Still my favorite game.

Does it come with the HD/Widescreen patch applied?
Afaik the Steam version is the censored UK version (same on GOG), so children are invisible but can still rob you and be killed (by accident).

This package has the fix for that as well as other bugfixes and the (second to last version of the) widescreen/HD-patch included:
www.nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-fixt-full-all-fixes-and-mods.8/

Slightly updated widescreen/HD-patch:
www.nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-1-high-res-patch.52/

Source:
www.nma-fallout.com/resources/categories/fallout-1.2/

Well, I missed it too. I never finished this game.

What are you waiting for ? It's incredibly short, like 6 hours (less if you already played it), but it has great replay value.
The sequel instead is at least three times bigger.

What are you waiting for ? It's incredibly short, like 6 hours (less if you already played it), but it has great replay value.
The sequel instead is at least three times bigger.
What? 6 hours?
Do you just do the main quest in such games or do you also explore? oO

I always needed way more time for a F1 playthrough.

The best release is the one from GOG, with all the patches and high resolution 16:9 textures.
It is also a DRM Free.

What? 6 hours?
Do you just do the main quest in such games or do you also explore? oO

I always needed way more time for a F1 playthrough.

The things that are time wasting in the first play are find the location of the chip and the 2 bases, after that every sub mission is in their respective towns (except for the brotherhood of steel)...
My first play was very difficult, and I failed many quests... I beat the game using drugs, A LOT of them !! I remember that after the final boss I was dying because of the negative effects :D but yes, required 6 hours...
(If you speak with people you don't have to explore too much... the locations just pop up in the map...)

The second one was a little less, like 4 hours but I maxed out everything (also advanced power armor and turbo plasma rifle) and every "good guy" secondary quests (brotherhood, the city with the gangs made peace, deathclaws, etc... etc...)
The sniper with plasma weapon is the easiest and fastest character to win, it is able to 1 hit kill EVERY super mutant, and with the right perks you can kill 4 of them every turn

I also tried the melee way, it's VERY difficult at the beginning and there's ONLY a weapon that can change the story, the super sledgehammer of the brotherhood of steel !!
Once you have that, the power armor and a LOT of movement points, you can start first in every combat, and while you don't kill easily with one hit, you still can break the arms of 3/5 mutants in one turn (depends on the distance), making them unable to use weapons, and then kill them the next turns... they are unable to make too much damage bare handed...
It was the funniest experience, because they were flying away at every hit :D

Last edited:
The best release is the one from GOG, with all the patches and high resolution 16:9 textures.
It is also a DRM Free.
GOG's version is also the censored UK one with no children, so it certainly does not have all the patches since this fix is part of the community patch pack I linked above.
I gather, that the HD-patch is already applied, hopefully they credited the creator (which I fear they might have forgotten about as always).

When I got it on GOG quite a while ago I was excited to get playing. First encounter out of the vault was two giant bug things. They absolutely slaughtered me. I decided to close it up and come back later. It's later, still haven't gone back :p

When I got it on GOG quite a while ago I was excited to get playing. First encounter out of the vault was two giant bug things. They absolutely slaughtered me. I decided to close it up and come back later. It's later, still haven't gone back :p
People often forget, that running away from enemies is an option. Like in the Gothic series you're supposed to run away when you're too weak.

People often forget, that running away from enemies is an option. Like in the Gothic series you're supposed to run away when you're too weak.

You must take into account that at the beginning:
1) you don't have so many movement points
2) critters and insects have a lot of them, and also it's very common that they start the turn first
3) many times in random encounters you are surrounded

Last edited:
You mush take into account that at the beginning:
1) you don't have so many movement points
2) critters and insects have a lot of them, and also it's very common that they start the turn first
3) many times in random encounters you are surrounded
That's where Agility, Endurance or Luck come into play. Also savestates.

I didn't forget, it was literally the first random encounter. I didn't know I was out-powered until I was almost dead and then it was too late to run away.

The same thing happened to me (a long time ago, long before GOG), but I did try again few days later and the result was much better. Fallout 1 really is a great game.

Finished Falout back in the nineties and something 20 years later in 2015. Had quality time both times. Fallout 2 - finished 0 times, but I did get to last boss back in the day. Need to come back to it at some point.

Back