Facebook

29718192_2096191500604224_2771493510791036928_n.jpg

I much prefer forums. They are self-organizing networks of like-minded individuals, without opting-into optimized big-brother oversight of the mass-agglomerators like FB, Twitclub etc.
[doublepost=1524674302,1524673978][/doublepost]
Do you recommend it? I can't help feeling that current notions of "social networks" are fundamentally flawed, and don't fix anything that's wrong with other, more traditional forms of communication. Happy to be proven wrong.

Unfortunately many people around here just think you're weird if you don't use Facebook. I don't mind being 'weird'.

I haven't used it yet. I'm so old that the model of 'social network website' doesn't sit well with me.

Wow, this thread fell quite low on my URL list.
The problem is not the weaponization of the Internet. The Internet here is just a device, like a telephone, and noone is talking about weaponization of the telephone when it comes to mass obscene phone calls (including telemarketing :) ). The problem is in weaponization of people by companies, where Internet acts only as a media.
I was thinking that, while advanced logic process can be difficult for some people, most will know entirely that they're committing blatant logical errors in thinking or discussion. Wrong! For some reason, the old good 1950s sophism "and_in_your_country_they're_beating_negroes" works today better than ever! (in my country it was not used for human rights, as between Soviet Union and USA, but rather as an universal counterargument during discussion when it came to criticizing Eastern block countries). And, that's a nice magic over here, if you wrap it in a polite "opening" and "closing" words, generally something away from typical media attention DDoS, most people will swallow it as a totally valid argument in a duscussion.
Confusing information with knowledge is common today. Most people don't try to separate these two, (I struggle hard to do it with writing my technical things, generally, if something goes too easy in writing I have to watch myself). However, by reading information it's important as hell to know should it be indexed for later (e.g. in bookmarks), transferred into knowledge (e.g. by practical application) or just skipped and its unreliable source avoided later. And today the knowledge sharing is usually not present - the information are useless enough to be skipped. More, most Internet users will insist that it's here. Pointing... data.
So users skip information. And by skipping it, they spend more time on useless services watching more useless ads. This time could be well used with any better information or knowledge processing, but it's not.
I was always against all these "notifications" and "ratings" in Internet forums, to the degree that I left one of the biggest electronics forum in my region when they introduced this. It makes people so lazy, that it can be used in practice - if you mix obvious truth with false parts, if you make these true parts compatible with (also media-induced) people's opinions it'll be entirely taken as truth and upvoted. This was always working requiring complex fact manipulation by well-informed propaganda agencies, but in recent... 5 years you can stuff a real bullexcrement here writing totally illogical things and it works beautifully. This is not an Internet fault.
I was thinking that these things don't work for more clever people... WRONG! It works very well everywhere, you can put a scientific paper in a high-ranked journal using these techniques, people are memetically programmed to ignore their illogical parts!
If I had known this before, I would think about being politician, not scientist :).

twitter.com/frabcus/status/1001029934670929920
unknown.png

unknown.png
That's interesting. As many have commented, quite an insidious psychological trick. Been reading around heuristics and biases; kind of thing that Facebook and companies that use it thrive upon.

Don't regret deleting my account.

On other news, apparently Papua New Guinea are banning Facebook...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44290012

Facebook developed systems to prevent children from spending huge amounts of their parents' money -- but then actively decided not to use them, it has emerged.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ed-solution-to-children-overspending-in-games

Facebook Endows AI Ethics Institute at German University TUM:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-ai-ethics-institute-at-german-university-tum
This is real.

Although if you look at the history of that university...
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/tu-muenchen-forschung-nationalsozialismus-1.3984355

Last edited:
Recent event: Stored plaintext passwords in a machine they exposed to all employees by misconfiguration [1]. Generally exposing some internal testing server to the rest of company is not so big problem, but what the hell were passwords in plaintext doing there? This should not leave a "NSA Only" machine, if not just being not used at all.
And a good argument against FB and similar services is visible a few posts above, in the post made in April 23 2018.
Yes, this was an image hosted at Instagram. It was not even year... and it's gone.
There's a new content... more ads, more social engineering junk.

[1] https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03...ns-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/

Back