Facebook

I mean, apparently empathy is one of those one-way things. You know, I'm supposed to adjust for everyone else, but no one ever has to adjust for me.
Bullshit. Empathy and respect need to be earned. Both ways.

From what I understood most or many neurodiverse people experience empathy just the same but just struggle with the expression (correct me if I am wrong).
Neurotypicals demanding that autistic people need to adjust themselves to their standards are just being an ass by not even bothering to understand the challenges.

From what I understood most or many neurodiverse people experience empathy just the same but just struggle with the expression (correct me if I am wrong).
Neurotypicals demanding that autistic people need to adjust themselves to their standards are just being an ass by not even bothering to understand the challenges.
To be fair though, so are aspies expecting to be treated in a special way from the start.
Somewhat understanding and "feeling" others needs time and of course the will to do so in the first place, both are often rather lacking on all sides regardless of the specific brain pattern.
It took me a long time to grasp how normal people work at least to a certain degree (it didn't make me like them more, I can tell you) and a very small amount of them even tries to get past preconceptions of "human" behavior although having just as much of a hard time doing so as is the case in reverse.

To get back to the topic:
Facebook isn't helping there at all and makes matters worse by automatically filtering your input into what you want to see and not what you need to see, in effect creating lots and lots of self-centered echo chambers.

Facebook isn't helping there at all and makes matters worse by automatically filtering your input into what you want to see and not what you need to see, in effect creating lots and lots of self-centered echo chambers.
At which point they need to ask themselves if their mission statement to "bring the world closer together" is still valid or if they are seriously failing at fulfilling that mission. Polarising people into echo chambers might be bringing people together, but it is dividing the world.

Bullshit. Empathy and respect need to be earned. Both ways.

Respect? Yes. Empathy? I'm not so sure...
Even dealings with the least pleasant people can be better if you understand them.

The problem is just that people are complicated. I'm not sure I understand myself, let alone anyone else!

As Klumpen says, cliques and bubbles are outright counterproductive, since the most interesting people, with views most likely to help your own develop, are them wot 'ave a different background to yerself

z23251995IH,Mark-Zuckerberg-w-amerykanskim-Senacie-w-Waszyngto.jpg

We just finally reached the state that FB can do anything they want and we just can't do anything. The last asking Zuckerberg in USA Senate was a fun show made for public - to show that government cares while they care only about the surveillance system Mark built for them.
If someone remembers the first internet software suites like Netscape, Mozilla or IE, the simple webpage editors like Netscape Composer, Mozilla Composer or FrontPage Express were just a part of package. As well as a few MBs of hosting space was part of Internet service. This was the producer-consumer equilibrium designed as part of Internet - everyone can be both publisher and consumer of information or knowledge. Since 1990s this equilibrium is more and more damaged.
So now we have damaged it in all aspects: In the software (instead of easy editor you have to hire a geek so it must have been made complicated), in the hardware (hosting gets more and more expensive while... disks get cheaper), and in our workflows (time for publishing, relying on search engine which puts the paid results higher). Why? I think that it's made to covertly make us publish not on our chosen license, but on license good for some companies like FB.
The problem is that in this situation we cannot do anything. There are lots of open alternatives for social media, but the problem is that nobody wants to use it.

One of my friends use facebook, but doesn't share anything... so I asked to him: "Why you put all your photos into facebook if you don't share them to friends ?"
Answer: "Because I don't have time to manage them... facebook puts all of them in order of year and location, etc... and makes me able to access them everywhere... when I want to show a picture to someone in front of me it's faster to find it on facebook than on my phone..."

You can still build a simple HTML webpage and put it up on someone else's colo server for a few pennies. I personally gave up trying to keep up somewhere between CSS and DHTML though. But fundamentally, all of the old stuff is still there, and it's not impossible to find it.

Sure though, without it being advertising backed, you need to pay for it, and if it becomes popular you'll need to fork out for the hosting. And if it gets DDoSsed you'd better be able to pull the plug before it costs you the house. The problem is the crowds are bigger these days, and the internet is somewhat more weaponised than it used to be back then.

Not havnig used facebook, or any friends who use it, I'm not sure what the big draw is.

Do any of you use this as an alternative? https://gab.ai/

Do any of you use this as an alternative? https://gab.ai/

Do you recommend it? I can't help feeling that current notions of "social networks" are fundamentally flawed, and don't fix anything that's wrong with other, more traditional forms of communication. Happy to be proven wrong.

Unfortunately many people around here just think you're weird if you don't use Facebook. I don't mind being 'weird'.

Not havnig used facebook, or any friends who use it, I'm not sure what the big draw is.

To people here, I suspect it's about maintaining ties to our less tech-savvy friends and family.

To the general public, like many things, it's about being lazy. Publishing content is difficult. It requires an understanding of the medium (how two right best english) and an understanding of the audience (How do they think? Why do they care?). On top of those two, it requires some actual content. You have to produce material that somebody else will go out of their way to see.

Modern social media takes down those barriers. You can post worthless content, aimed at nobody in particular, and the great data-munching engine in the clouds will take care of the rest. It's like giving soap boxes and loud-hailers to an entire playground of children. Nobody's listening, and nobody cares, but still they shout!

There's also an element of building self-esteem by association - the same mechanism that drives 'reality' television. The slightest interaction with someone of a higher perceived social/intellectual standing (such as 'liking' their post) gives one the illusion of increasing one's own standing, without any of the effort involved in being genuinely popular or erudite.

I think my own objection is to the concept of a personal broadcasting station. My correspondents vary hugely in communication style, interests and technical ability. Sometimes IRC is the right tool for the job, sometimes a paper letter is more appropriate. Either way, what I say, and how I say it, is entirely dependent on who I'm saying it to. I never want to send the same message to everyone, so why should I use the same system for everything?

To people here, I suspect it's about maintaining ties to our less tech-savvy friends and family.
If my friends or family only/mainly want to have contact with me through Facebook then they are saying that they do not want to have contact with me. The result is fewer but more meaningful relationships...which is fine by me.

Back