Facebook

The biggest problem is that forming communities becomes a commodity. Thus, communication is done not to solve problems, but is done to be done, for someone's profit. I was thinking about recent USA law, officially against sex trafficking, and I think that this beautifully fits to making a communication, communities and relations another article to be sold. This works very well in this function, it won't touch large companies aggregating people into objective-less chat and ideologically polarizing them and re-licensing "content" in a cover of community platform, but smaller companies, especially these which may turn people away from these dealers (like classified ads sites) will disappear from USA. This is exactly what FB and similar corporations want: Do not meet AFK, do not meet other ways, do not communicate in a problem-solving and finite manner, use our services and be constantly loaded with useless data we prepared to make you not do anything productive.
The problem is that while most of Internet users happily grown virtual carrots in "social media" games and became more and more left-wing or right-wing, most of really valuable, technical, historical, scientific or hobby content just disappeared abandoned, sometimes far away from Wayback Machine's scrapers.
Once or twice a year I chew through my website looking for abandoned links and trying to restore them with similar sites. And it usually ends with Archive's machine. The WWW became a new television.
And if one of the Hackers, if any will be, would invent another media as a replacement not being another televi^W, WWW, please, dig it deep underground in a forest because it'll turn to the same sh..t, this is fixing of the wrong system.

This is exactly what FB and similar corporations want: Do not meet AFK, do not meet other ways, do not communicate in a problem-solving and finite manner, use our services and be constantly loaded with useless data we prepared to make you not do anything productive.
giphy.gif

[doublepost=1522085313,1522081394][/doublepost]Regarding face recognition:
https://www.npr.org/sections/alltec...software-is-different-from-the-fbis-heres-why
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...e-of-facial-recognition-to-id-users-in-photos
https://mashable.com/2018/02/28/how-to-turn-off-facebook-face-recognition/

@Klumpen: Did you know that you can mirror all the pictures and feed them again to the AI to train it even more?

No, but it makes sense. Doesn't the engine do that automatically by now?
Not related to Facebook at all, but I just read a fascinating article about a deep learning engine that was taught Doom, and then it's predictive output fed into itself. The result is basically it "hallucinating" playing the game with it's own "imagination".

kind of like the self driving cars learning from Gta5?
Code:
http://bgr.com/2017/04/17/grand-theft-auto-v-driverless-car-simulation/

I suspect that's why this thread hasn't got past two pages yet. No facebook account here either, and no twitter, although at least that is mainly readable without signing up to anything or enabling too many scripts.

I made one just to have some sort of control on things posted by other people regarding me... some of my friends doesn't have an account and they just ignore how present they are on the site...

with all the information about them that a stranger can see, a fake account could be easily created, giving access to a lot more info and resources...

The problem with fake accounts is that it works, fake or not, as an "anchor point" for tracking on websites with FB's iframe. Then the data can be combined with other data, this with other, this with leaks... that's hot it's done today.

I was writing about these classified ads sites... And today I read on my news that Craigslist and some other US site is closing their personal ads category. Well, that was predictable. The most funny thing is how the companies try to shift their responsibility for dividing people.
"That's not us, that's Russian trolls!" - Tumblr recently closed accounts of alleged Russian propaganda agency, explaining it like trying to make them responsible for all things done in last 15 years in the Net. Well, if half of Internet companies (and most in USA) have Russian trolls in their management, planning and strategy departments, to create fighting "fractions" of fanboys, I think the whole Internet has a serious problem :).

It's really fun to watch how companies who destroyed knowledge sharing (and that's why the Internet was made) try to pretend that they're supporting it. Recently in my country there was a lout who was "roasting" people in YT. When it changed to "cyberstalking" and disclosing rather private data, media started to speak about it, that it's important to have an eye on what children are watching in the Internet and suggest them valuable usage of the Internet.
But thinking about it, I see that in my country's conditions, there's almost no alternative. Seriously. Brainwashing from company, who need to make "fanboys" to buy new products or brainwashing by some moron who just passes their meme. What a difference?

I suspect that's why this thread hasn't got past two pages yet. No facebook account here either, and no twitter, although at least that is mainly readable without signing up to anything or enabling too many scripts.
I do similar thing - browsing the Internet with NoScript. I started it with all these malware-distributing beggars on the web sites: "Exclude us from adblock, we need to show ads for funds"... OK, but why it ends with tracking code inserted between ads instead of banner or two which I can even click if the site is good to thank the author?

You can block those tracking scripts (all the 'add to facebook' buttons and things) quite easily, and I've never found it to stop me viewing the content however many other scripts I may need to enable (temporarily). But there's one exception; I sometimes find google docs things that don't work unless I've previously logged in with a google account. Note this works even if I've already logged out, which suggests they're not really logging me out and are still able to associate my browsing with that account. If you log out then delete google* cookies then it does behave as if you've not logged in at all and stops you accessing google docs properly as well.

^That's how the uncanny valley will be resolved. People mimicking robots until we are all just used to it :)

Weren't there claims/suspicions that he is an asperger?

Of course he is, I saw that at first glance.
I suspected it, though I am not sure if it was ever confirmed, nor am I licensed to diagnose. Hence my careful phrasing.
Unfortunately he is giving all aspies a bad name by his actual lack of empathy and morals, as it seems.
If you have met one person on the spectrum, then you have met just one person on the spectrum.

At least he tries to be human :p Perhaps he will succeed one day and realise what he is doing. From what I have read/heard about his hearing so far, that time is still far off.

Meh, empathy is overrated. This is how it always sounds to me: "Man, why can't these autism ******s learn empathy and become actual humans already?"

I mean, apparently empathy is one of those one-way things. You know, I'm supposed to adjust for everyone else, but no one ever has to adjust for me.

Back