GP2X F200 Test

kevcal

Coding " Abduction;Retrieval "
Website
homepage.ntlworld.com
Hi,

Wonder if someone can help me..

I'm pretty close to releasing 'Abduction', but I wanna check it will run on an F200...
Only thing I'm worried about is sample frequencies.

I have a 2Mb zip (abdtest.zip) file with a quick test procedure installed and need someone with an F200 to test it for me..
Any takers? I'm at work atm and don't have ftp access (blocked) so would need to email it if someone volunteers in the next couple of hours (when I'm back from the pub :eek:).

Post here and PM me with your email if interested - note only need 1 person to check this out for me

Also you need to power off the gp2x after the test routine as it seems to leave a blank screen when complete (no time/inclination to check why), but rest assured it hasn't knackered my F100 so won't screw anything up (normal disclaimers exist of course :) ).

Kev

kevcal said:
Tsk.. I'm back from the pub and no-one's answered :(
Hoped to get this sorted today.
I will be happy to test later this evening (probably < 8 hours) if my new F200 arrives as promised.

edit welp, the idiots at Dynamism didn't tell me when I ordered that I'd need to be present when the package arrives. Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great :)
Tell you what (since you didn't PM me your email) - I'm off home in a moment and I'll ftp the file up to some webspace today and paste the link in this thread :)

Kev

Okay, for anyone that could help and post results in this thread.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevcallahan/a...ion/abdtest.zip
(2M download due to static 'font library').

Unzip onto your SD (it’ll create a ‘test’ directory).

Go into ‘test’ on the gp2x and run ‘abdtest’ for me.

You should hear a small bit of looped ‘music’ (a modfile) playing
in the background - a bassline and drums.

Hopefully it will cycle through 3 different sample frequencies;
displaying the sample name/freq currently played..
Namely 16000, 16500 & 22050Hz - hopefully all will be fine as all work on the F100 with Allegro... but thought I'd better check F200 compatibility.

SELECT will end the test..,
but doesn’t return to menu (have to look into this), so just switch off.

Can you check if the music and/or all/any samples play and report results in this thread?

Cheers for the help, if it works I'll be releasing Abduction (A fast-paced arcade blaster... reminiscent of Defender/Robotron/etc (I think anyway)) any time now.

kevcal said:
Okay, for anyone that could help and post results in this thread.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevcallahan/a...ion/abdtest.zip
(2M download due to static 'font library').

Unzip onto your SD (it’ll create a ‘test’ directory).

Go into ‘test’ on the gp2x and run ‘abdtest’ for me.

You should hear a small bit of looped ‘music’ (a modfile) playing
in the background - a bassline and drums.

Hopefully it will cycle through 3 different sample frequencies;
displaying the sample name/freq currently played..
Namely 16000, 16500 & 22050Hz - hopefully all will be fine as all work on the F100 with Allegro... but thought I'd better check F200 compatibility.

SELECT will end the test..,
but doesn’t return to menu (have to look into this), so just switch off.

Can you check if the music and/or all/any samples play and report results in this thread?

Cheers for the help, if it works I'll be releasing Abduction (A fast-paced arcade blaster... reminiscent of Defender/Robotron/etc (I think anyway)) any time now.

OK, here goes...

It doesn't run. I get a fixed pitch tone like Stella's F200 crash, and the GP2X F200 crashes without changing the display at all.. I ran it from GMenu2x and enexfi, same result.

Sorry.

Is there a definitive guide as to why programs crash on the F200 and what needs to be changed? I'm curious about the differences.

Im testing Right Now gp2x brother! will let you know.

EDIT: Same here :( just a tone and a blank screen button presses make the tone "skip" but the only way to get out of it is to reboot ( at least for me).

Anymore testing and let me know.

Cheers for the responses guys :)

Oh dear... :( So there's no graphical display even.

One of the first things I do is to set up the MOD player - now that outputs samples at 22050Hz which could be a problem...

If I send debug output to the console............
Actually you can't telnet into an F200 can you??

I'll rewrite another (when I get time - wife's birthday tomorrow)... that initially doesn't setup the modfile or sound stuff until you hit a button and see if at least the graphical side of things are okay.

Very strange; all runs fine on F100 - guess this'll put my release back a bit until I find what's wrong.

Think I tried to do too much in the test, expecting not to hit any problems.

Thanks again - shame it's not a success yet... will figure it out somehow :)

Kev

As a sidenote, do 'any' Allegro based games work on the F200???
eg BunkerMaster2x
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,2184

or Rafkill
http://www.stupendous-stuff.com/gp2x.php

kevcal said:
You could dump to a text file, and we could send you the contents...

I've read elsewhere the F200 is picky about sound Hz... I'm not sure why though.

Trevor Bradley said:
kevcal said:
You could dump to a text file, and we could send you the contents...

I've read elsewhere the F200 is picky about sound Hz... I'm not sure why though.

^^ Read the same thing... I was messing around in Snes.. Drpocketsnes w/ sound rates and it would play but if i remeber right 16000 was giving a weird clicking.. not sure if it was the rom or the emu... ?!

Running from Gemnu2x:
default settings. I see the Gmenu2x "launching abdtest", it stays there forever. Rebooted, Same thing.

From FW4.0's Launcher:
I get a black screen and that high fqz noise =(

Trying to get output: (abdtest > output.log 2>&1...I guess that makes sense?)
No file created

Random complaint: rebooting takes forever and so does not having a SDHC card reader =(

Maybe I'll change the order of frequencies tested - I currently try 16000Hz first - maybe that's where the problem is - actually sounds like I'll write a test menu - a project in itself this will be soon..! :)
But no coding today - will try to knock something up Sunday, cheers for the help everyone. :)

Thought (if I'd had printfs in code) that 'abdtest >& output.log' would work..

Okay have a new abdtest.gpe ready .. just uploading now (61%).
Just overwrite old abdtest.gpe with this one - uses same sample/mod files.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevcallahan/a...abdtestgpe2.zip

4 options - (1-4)
Choose with volume +/- keys
SELECT runs test.

They are:
1. play 22050 mod file
2. play 22050 sample
3. play 16000 sample
4. play 16500 sample

Hopefully one of them will work - note may be best to try samples first to avoid multiple reboots - if any work that is!!!?
Maybe 16500 first...? I have no idea actually what will work on F200 :)
Note _all of them_ work on F100... tsk.

Thanks for the support guys!

Kev

downloaded, testing, will post back in a min

EDIT:
Still won't load from GMenu2x =(
*REBOOT*
*exit Gmenu*
Hmmm black screen and high pitch noise =(

I'll double check to make sure I properly overwrote the file o_O

REDIT:
Yep it was the right file, still does the same thing.

Mmmmm........
I'm well puzzled :(
So exactly the same...
This has some printfs in, can you see if any get output?
It may be failing at allegro initialisation though and there probably aren't any printfs before that.
Will have another go at something even simpler if I can.
Thanks for the speedy response :)

Out of interest can someone with an F100 try this out-- maybe it only works on _my_ F100 (which has FW 2.1.0 I think (tired, long day)).

EDIT: Maybe I'll initialise allegro and not call sound_init(); - maybe something incompatible in the basic Allegro sound setup wrt the F200.

I gave the last file you posted a go on my F100 and I get a black screen too. I tried running it after I ran some other apps as well, in case it was the old Allegro blitter bug, but still no luck.

Alex. said:
I gave the last file you posted a go on my F100 and I get a black screen too. I tried running it after I ran some other apps as well, in case it was the old Allegro blitter bug, but still no luck.

Aarrgghh! Are you saying it didn't run on your F100 - it runs on mine fine :( ?
This is using the same initialisation code as my game, and I know that runs on at least one other person's F100.. Maybe FW incompatibilities (my fw is 2.1.0 - just checked)?
The blitter bug is 'history' - ie I've hacked my allegro lib to do the dummy blit 'internally'.

Does anyone actually know what GPH actually changed wrt the sound driver(?) F100 ->F200 ?

This is getting a bit frustrating ;)
From Monday I'll have more time to write test apps and so hopefully track down the problem..

Again, cheers to to all for the help :)

Back