Extremely Dissapointed After Buying Dingoo

Iorgy77 said:
Dingoo ~ It rips off Kung Fu Panda man.

yeah, i don't get that? what is that guy on? Kung Fu Panda and WOW??? PUT THE DRUGS DOWN!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
coldfis said:
Speaking of off-topic...

I found Kalisiin's rant about her 8-track more entertaining than the OP's incoherent Dingoo whine.

My wife has a similar history, just about everything electronic she owns dies a premature/unexpected/unusual death. Its not like she treats things badly, quite the opposite, she's one of those people who likes to leave the protective film on products.

I don't know what it is, drives me nuts, Ive come to the conclusion the best defence is a backup unit in storage.

@Chip, it would seem you're contributing to the forums loss of diversity and entertainment value to gain a few bytes on the server. D'oh! Just lock the thread if it's causing you agitation.

Thanks.
Looking back at it all now, I laugh at it too. But yes, it sounds like your wife and I seem to share some sort of negative karma where electronics are concerned. And I also go out of my way to treat them exceptionally well, do everything to protect them, and then something weird always seems to happen, lol!

Anyway, now you know why I also keep backup units in storage. Seems we independently came to the same conclusion!!

Exophase said:
Chip, your "on topic" policing is bullshit and I'm fucking sick of my posts getting deleted. Those take time to write, so show some god damn consideration.
Sorry chief, but that wasn't me. A report was filed and another mod cleaned out the off-topic posts.

Chip said:
Sorry chief, but that wasn't me. A report was filed and another mod cleaned out the off-topic posts.

I apologize for following the assumption it was you responsible, please substitute "Chip" with the name of whatever moderator actually did it. Everything else I said I stand by.

Do we seriously need to go as fundamental as demanding the moderators SIGN what they do? It wasn't enough last time we've been through this? Meh.

coldfis said:
Speaking of off-topic...

I found Kalisiin's rant about her 8-track more entertaining than the OP's incoherent Dingoo whine.

My wife has a similar history, just about everything electronic she owns dies a premature/unexpected/unusual death. Its not like she treats things badly, quite the opposite, she's one of those people who likes to leave the protective film on products.

I don't know what it is, drives me nuts, Ive come to the conclusion the best defence is a backup unit in storage.

edit: @mod (not Chip), it would seem you're contributing to the forums loss of diversity and entertainment value to gain a few bytes on the server. D'oh! Just lock the thread if it's causing you agitation.

I've had my gp2x since June 2007 and I still haven't removed the protective film over the screen. Nothing is worse than scratches on the screen when you are trying to play a game on a small screen. I replaced the glass on my gamegear and I left the protective plastic on that too (of course, that's in storage). I am super-anal about taking care of my electronics and keeping the original box, documentation and even the bread ties for the wires. I'm too poor to afford spare units though.

Does anyone know how to keep the plastic from yellowing? My gp32 is starting to yellow on me.

Chris

What I really don't like about the dingoo.
* The reset hole. I was in the metro listening to some MP3 and something happened and the app froze. I didn't had any thin needle or pencil with me and so I couldn't do nothing. The screen was lit, frozen, eating my battery and I couldn't reset the damn thing.
* Where is the volume buttons? Some games are pretty loud and you can't change that directly from inside the game.
* I don't like that much that I have to install Dingux for most homebrew stuff. Well I did, there were some preloaded emuls and games there, but for the new ones I download I have to also upload and change a menu file. When I try to run them directly from the file explorer this doesn't work. It's also a dileema for me in which system to develop. Dingux would be ideal because I can port my stuff made in SDL, but I would prefer to develop apps running on the original system. But the native apps currently use the official API with a pixel class that does conversions and is slow (got to search for a more low level way to write pixels). Also most people are developing in Dingux so if I develop for the original system I may not find enough libs (e.g. for mod playing) or support.

Things that I really love about dingoo.
* Battery life. It's the best so far. I heared about 7 hours when playing some emuls. I was listening to MP3s for hours and hours, it must have been 10-15 or more hours (didn't count) and there was still some battery left. This is my portable MP3 player now :)

Optimus said:
What I really don't like about the dingoo.
* The reset hole. I was in the metro listening to some MP3 and something happened and the app froze. I didn't had any thin needle or pencil with me and so I couldn't do nothing. The screen was lit, frozen, eating my battery and I couldn't reset the damn thing.
* Where is the volume buttons? Some games are pretty loud and you can't change that directly from inside the game.
* I don't like that much that I have to install Dingux for most homebrew stuff. Well I did, there were some preloaded emuls and games there, but for the new ones I download I have to also upload and change a menu file. When I try to run them directly from the file explorer this doesn't work. It's also a dileema for me in which system to develop. Dingux would be ideal because I can port my stuff made in SDL, but I would prefer to develop apps running on the original system. But the native apps currently use the official API with a pixel class that does conversions and is slow (got to search for a more low level way to write pixels). Also most people are developing in Dingux so if I develop for the original system I may not find enough libs (e.g. for mod playing) or support.

Things that I really love about dingoo.
* Battery life. It's the best so far. I heared about 7 hours when playing some emuls. I was listening to MP3s for hours and hours, it must have been 10-15 or more hours (didn't count) and there was still some battery left. This is my portable MP3 player now :)

Absolutely re: the reset hole...and the battery life!!

This is the only device that holds it's battery charge for an entire eight hour work shift for me, on the overnights at the answering service. The only one.
But that damn reset hole can be a real pain in the arse if you don't happen to have something handy to poke it with...which is why I keep a paper clip inside the back pocket of the vinyl case I bought for it. I guess that little pocket on the back is supposed to be for a belt loop or something, but I find it a handy place to keep a paper clip.

Maybe you can try what I've done in the past, which is sticky tape/pure white masking tape a paper clip or tooth pick on the back of the Dingoo?
Looks ugly, but it does the job. :)

One of the earliest dingoo hacks involved pulling it apart getting a very small nail and placing it in the hole in reverse so the head of the nail was inside the dingoo preventing it from falling out. The nail was cut off just past the hole and acted as a reset button.

wow, i absolutely love the first 5 minutes on how to trim a screw... err i mean nail..

I've done the reset button mod. I left my Dingoo at work today, but I'm working tomorrow so I'll take my camera and get a shot of it. If I remember. All my gadgets at different addresses, gah!

christo930 said:
coldfis said:
Speaking of off-topic...

edit: @mod (not Chip), it would seem you're contributing to the forums loss of diversity and entertainment value to gain a few bytes on the server. D'oh! Just lock the thread if it's causing you agitation.

I've had my gp2x since June 2007 and I still haven't removed the protective film over the screen. Nothing is worse than scratches on the screen when you are trying to play a game on a small screen. I replaced the glass on my gamegear and I left the protective plastic on that too (of course, that's in storage). I am super-anal about taking care of my electronics and keeping the original box, documentation and even the bread ties for the wires. I'm too poor to afford spare units though.

Does anyone know how to keep the plastic from yellowing? My gp32 is starting to yellow on me.

Chris

What you're looking for is RetroBrite:

http://www.psfk.com/2009/03/retrobrite-open-source-problem-solving.html

cheers!

They should include some sort of thin stylus that would fit into a holder on the back of the Dingoo, for hitting the reset hole.
That way, you could poke your Dingoo in public. :lol:

Here's my reset button. I found the smallest screw I could in a box of junk, and it still wasn't small enough. So I had to widen the hole a little, which was hard to make neat. I don't think I'd want a thinner screw than this though, it would jab into your finger when you pressed it.

The screw head was another hurdle. It was pretty flat to start with, but it needed to be much thinner to sit in there without permanently pressing the reset button. I put a Dremel grinder bit into a battery drill (the Dremel itself is a little bit hardcore for such a fiddly job), and slowly ground the head down until it was almost paper thin. The end result works beautifully. I actually use it to turn the Dingoo on now, it's easier than the slider switch. :D

DingooReset.jpg

Looks good! I used a screw of the back of my Dingoo (dirty, i know :lol: ), fits great, just a tad too long. But no accidental resets since i did it months ago.

That looks brilliant Gruso. A bit beyond my mechanical abilities so I might show your post to a friend of mine and have him have a go at it.

Back