Extremely Dissapointed After Buying Dingoo

splatbert

Still Fresh
I hate this device. It's shoddily made (although looks nice), and completely rip-offs:
-The PSP
-The iPod
-Kung-fu Panda
-World of Warcraft

The translations are terrible, the video quality is terrible, the speakers are shit, the 3D games look awful (and they flicker), and the input is slow. Why I even bought this I don't even know.

splatbert said:
I hate this device. It's shoddily made (although looks nice), and completely rip-offs:
-The PSP
-The iPod
-Kung-fu Panda
-World of Warcraft

The translations are terrible, the video quality is terrible, the speakers are shit, the 3D games look awful (and they flicker), and the input is slow. Why I even bought this I don't even know.
If your going to hate on it. Then why not give it to me? It seems from what you have said, it's no use to you anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
What were you expecting when you bought it? It's a very cheap handheld with the ability to run Linux and some decent emulators. If you were buying it for anything else then you were making a big mistake and you should have researched it better.

How does it rip off PSP anyway? Or iPod, for that matter.. the design looks nothing alike. It's no more similar to PSP than any other handheld out now and I'll be damned if I can think of even one thing it shares in common with any iPod or iPhone.

Since you hate it so much, you can send it to me. I currently own four Dingoos, I can love a fifth one, too. PM me and I'll give you my address.

Kalisiin said:
Since you hate it so much, you can send it to me. I currently own four Dingoos, I can love a fifth one, too. PM me and I'll give you my address.

Man, on the unlikely chance that he's actually willing to give it to someone you should let him to give it to someone else. Four Dingoos is enough, you greedy bastard ;p Why do you own so many anyway?

Exophase said:
Kalisiin said:

Man, on the unlikely chance that he's actually willing to give it to someone you should let him to give it to someone else. Four Dingoos is enough, you greedy bastard ;p Why do you own so many anyway?
From what I remember, she has a playing Dingoo, back-up playing Dingoo, a testing Dingoo, and a back-up testing Dingoo. It'd probably be more worth it to buy 2 Wiz'z.

Reo said:
Exophase said:
Kalisiin said:

From what I remember, she has a playing Dingoo, back-up playing Dingoo, a testing Dingoo, and a back-up testing Dingoo. It'd probably be more worth it to buy 2 Wiz'z.

Ah, but I intend to buy a couple of Wiz's, yet, too!
I also own 4 DS lites, a DSi that I let my mom use, and 2 GBA's.

If Pandora ever comes out, I'll get me a couple of them, too.

I like my toys. But I also like to make sure of myself, and make sure that, even if something breaks...I'll still have my toys!

You'd probably understand better if you knew my childhood. Every time I EVER got something I loved, as a child...some fucking bastard would take it from me. Or it would get broken. Something would always happen, though.

So now I'm insecure. And I like to have backups on everything.

I'll never forget, when I was eight years old, I slaved at a newspaper route (often dragging my sled full of newspapers thru snow up to my chest in Chicago winters) in order to get my own stereo. It was awesome and had an 8-track tape player!!
You guys are probably too young to even remember those.

But I remember, shortly after I got it, 8-tracks became near obsolete. I slaved more and bought a device that you could put into an 8-track player so it would play cassettes (many of you may even be too young to remember cassettes!) Hell, I remember loading computer programs from cassettes, before they even had 5 1/4 inch floppies, let alone the 3 1/2 inch floppies...let alone flash drives, SD cards, you name it!!

Anyway...shortly after that, the fucking 8-track broke, and I could never manage to get the goddam thing fixed...you couldn't get parts for it anymore. And there went 400 bucks of slave labor right down the fucking toilet.

I've never forgotten that.

My great fear is that I'll either somehow fuck up my Dingoo, brick it to where it can't be unbricked...drop it, break it, have it stolen...something...and be unable to repair/replace it...and all my hard work of collecting and sorting thru ROMS will be forever lost, and I'll no longer be able to play. And that would majorly suck.

So I make sure I have plenty of backup. Never again will I have all my hard work go down the toilet.

Exophase said:
What were you expecting when you bought it? It's a very cheap handheld with the ability to run Linux and some decent emulators. If you were buying it for anything else then you were making a big mistake and you should have researched it better.

How does it rip off PSP anyway? Or iPod, for that matter.. the design looks nothing alike. It's no more similar to PSP than any other handheld out now and I'll be damned if I can think of even one thing it shares in common with any iPod or iPhone.

Forget about the PSP & iPod, how does it rip off Kung Fu Panda & World of Warcraft? That's what i wanna know!

splatbert said:
-The PSP
-The iPod
-Kung-fu Panda
-World of Warcraft

Plenty of videos play fine for me, even with tv-out. You can also overclock it to help with video-buffering. Grab yourself the latest custom firmware that has the translation errors fixed & install the dual-boot dingux & you'll be much happier. Did you really expect speakers on something that small to be any good? And of course the built-in games are going to be shitty, they are on everything else. Did you even try the homebrew/emulators? or any of the built-in emus for that matter?

there's plenty of info over at dingoonity, point your browser thataway

Kalisiin said:

I like my toys. But I also like to make sure of myself, and make sure that, even if something breaks...I'll still have my toys!

I kind of tend to do that a bit.

I have two Wizzes just because it will probably be the only OLED screen game system for awhile. I might get another as it is my primary MAME handheld and I like how the OLED looks more like the old arcade CRTs than an LCD does. If one breaks I may not be able to get another as I think they will be hard to get in the future.

I also have a couple of GP2Xs. I usually don't bother with having more than one "commercialized" system like the PSP or DS though, I mean there are millions of those things, they will always be easy to replace.

Kalisiin said:
Anyway...shortly after that, the fucking 8-track broke, and I could never manage to get the goddam thing fixed...you couldn't get parts for it anymore. And there went 400 bucks of slave labor right down the fucking toilet.

At least you don't sound too bitter about it. Although I think that 4x identical Dingoos is excessive. Are they at least different versions? White/Black/No-Paw variants?

I often buy different versions of the same handheld. For instance I have a NLU, FLU, BLU and BLU+ GP32. I also have a GP2X F-100 1st and 2nd and the white F-200. I recently got a Wiz but haven't used it much still. (Sorry DaveC, that secret build is still coming ;) )
Like DaveC, I tend to buy only 1x commercial handheld but I do have 2x DS as my wife has permanently borrowed one. I'm stuck with the Phat DS - which I prefer anyway. It's more manly. <_<

Anyway, back to the topic. The Dingoo isn't for everyone. Yes, it's kind of cheap in look and feel but I think it's very good considering.

I still remember when I first opened up my very first GP32 back in 2003 (or whenever it was). I was a bit disappointed initially thinking that the build quality was no way as good as other commercial handhelds at the time. ie. GBA

But it's good enough for it's money so I think it's a winner.

slaanesh said:
Kalisiin said:

At least you don't sound too bitter about it. Although I think that 4x identical Dingoos is excessive. Are they at least different versions? White/Black/No-Paw variants?

I often buy different versions of the same handheld. For instance I have a NLU, FLU, BLU and BLU+ GP32. I also have a GP2X F-100 1st and 2nd and the white F-200. I recently got a Wiz but haven't used it much still. (Sorry DaveC, that secret build is still coming ;) )
Like DaveC, I tend to buy only 1x commercial handheld but I do have 2x DS as my wife has permanently borrowed one. I'm stuck with the Phat DS - which I prefer anyway. It's more manly. <_<

Anyway, back to the topic. The Dingoo isn't for everyone. Yes, it's kind of cheap in look and feel but I think it's very good considering.

I still remember when I first opened up my very first GP32 back in 2003 (or whenever it was). I was a bit disappointed initially thinking that the build quality was no way as good as other commercial handhelds at the time. ie. GBA

But it's good enough for it's money so I think it's a winner.
How come you haven't used the Wiz much? Do you think it is inferior to the Dingoo or do you just not like it much? I would have thought a MAME fan would have had interest in the Wiz do to the screen look and feel.

I have been eyeing the Dingoo for a while but my PSP seems to be able to do all it can do and a little more and better. I have a PSP1000 that can run homebrew. I haven't really been keeping up with the homebrew scene of Dingoo or the PSP for that matter so I don't know which homebrew scene is better. What do you guys think, is a homebrew enabled PSP better then the Dingoo?

Exophase said:
If you're going to start out by saying you're not going to start something then please be so kind as to follow through with it and actually not start something.

I can see there's quite a pattern forming behind your posts, crying out against groups of people who have wronged you. I'm sure there are more appropriate places for this than this forum, or at least away from off topic.

But I didn't say what I wanted to, I just left it to the reader's imagination.
Hey...can I help it if the shoe fits?

DaveC said:
Kalisiin said:

I kind of tend to do that a bit.

I have two Wizzes just because it will probably be the only OLED screen game system for awhile. I might get another as it is my primary MAME handheld and I like how the OLED looks more like the old arcade CRTs than an LCD does. If one breaks I may not be able to get another as I think they will be hard to get in the future.

I also have a couple of GP2Xs. I usually don't bother with having more than one "commercialized" system like the PSP or DS though, I mean there are millions of those things, they will always be easy to replace.

Mostly I agree with you, but, I got extras on the DS Lites because that is the last system Ninty can't remotely update against my will and screw up my Acekards. I got extra on the GBA, because I was stupid on the first one, and did not get the one with the extra-bright screen.

OK, guys...that was NOT an invite to continue to drag this topic off-subject and start guessing at my hiding places!!

Let's get back on track here...we were discussing the "suckiness" of the Dingoo, and who should get the unwanted Dingoo. In all seriousness, I don't really need or want a fifth one, but I wouldn't turn down a free one, if this guy really hates it as much as he says he does.

I suspect this guy hasn't even begun to explore the depths of the Dingoo's capabilities, before declaring it a piece of garbage. Maybe he just needs to discover a lot of the capabilities of the Dingoo.

Kalisiin said:
Enough, before I really DO get way off-topic here. But you get my drift.

Yeah, I do get your drift. Thanks for explaining and I wish you all the best, whatever you do.

Derek said:
I have been eyeing the Dingoo for a while but my PSP seems to be able to do all it can do and a little more and better. I have a PSP1000 that can run homebrew. I haven't really been keeping up with the homebrew scene of Dingoo or the PSP for that matter so I don't know which homebrew scene is better. What do you guys think, is a homebrew enabled PSP better then the Dingoo?

Aside from the obvious difference of commercial games and a bigger homebrew scene for the PSP, I think it goes down to:

* size factor
* battery life
* controls

For me, the advantages Dingoo has in those areas outweighs the better homebrew scene and commercial games of the PSP. Mileage will vary. Oh, and I suppose a cheap 2nd hand PSP is not much more expensive than a Dingoo these days? Otherwise cost would be another factor.

Back