External Gamepad For Caanoo

BlueApe

Still Fresh
I've been looking for about 2 days now, and perhaps I missed something, a post so I apologies early if I am reasking the same question. I've been looking at a handheld emulator system to buy and found to like the Caanoo. I saw that you can use a USB control pad with it, is their something specific you have to look for in a pad? Or does any USB pad work? Or is there a specific one sold for the Caanoo?

Some other questions:
How is the battery Life?
I have never actually set up a system of any kind, is it difficult and whats a good how to resource?

With regards to USB gamepads, its functionality is available if the developer of the application chooses to utilize it. Unfortunately, not all emulator developers implement USB pads.
Picodrive for example, has the ability to plug in almost any USB I've found (even through a USB hub!) including my own SNES pad with USB adaptor.

However, not all programs also have TV out support. While Picodrive has amazing USB support, its screen gets garbled when using TV-out mode, thus making the USB support kinda pointless.

TV-out and USB controller support is usually the last thing a developer addresses when working on an emulator.

traylorpark said:
However, not all programs also have TV out support. While Picodrive has amazing USB support, its screen gets garbled when using TV-out mode, thus making the USB support kinda pointless.
I have found USB support very useful. I've been playing multiplayer games away from home with friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
A wireless supported Pad would be cool. Sadly my Wireless PS2 Controller using an USB-Adapter does not work. A non Wireless PS2 Controller works using the USB-Adapter.

SiENcE said:
A wireless supported Pad would be cool. Sadly my Wireless PS2 Controller using an USB-Adapter does not work. A non Wireless PS2 Controller works using the USB-Adapter.
I've tried my 3rd party wireless PS3 controllers (that use dongles) and they don't work, either. Also, my wired 3rd party PS3 controllers don't work. I guess as long as it works on the PC, it will work on the Caanoo, so I think original Xbox controllers may work, but you have to modify the adapter.

I have been using ps2 and ps1 controllers with a PC/USB adapter.
They have worked great with all emu's that have game pad support :)

Ok most of the emu's seem to work with video out(launched from gmenu2x). Games look good on TV. But how do you connect an usb game pad to the caanoo? Through the usb port or the video cable (need a usb female-to-female connector)? Do you have to configure the system or emu?

I have a Logitech usb game controller and can't get it to work through the usb port. Thanks.

Needs to be the USB host port. The gamepad also needs to use standard HID drivers, which a lot of modern gamepads don't seem to do anymore.

I've been using a cheap little compact Tomee SNES clone, and it works. USB controllers are handled entirely by the individual application as far as configuration goes.

Hi, Thanks for the info. Can you give me a little more details? Do you have to enable USB drive option first? Which emulators do you use with the USB controller? Is it only for the second player or can you use it as the primary controller? Thanks!

caanoo64 said:
Hi, Thanks for the info. Can you give me a little more details? Do you have to enable USB drive option first? Which emulators do you use with the USB controller? Is it only for the second player or can you use it as the primary controller? Thanks!

Yes, you need the USB Drive option on to enable the USB host. I've used multiple USB joysticks on Picodrive, MAME, GNGEO(NeoGEO), and Capex(CPS2). They can all be configured to be used as a first/second(or third/fourth/etc where available via USB hub.) player's controls if you wish, though I think Capex didn't allow for custom button mapping. Several of ZX-81's emulators have had USB joystick support added recently, but I'm not sure which offhand. GPFCE will likely support USB joysticks in the future as well.

Picodrive is a good test for USB controllers, as it automatically maps new joysticks to player 1. Just plug it in before starting picodrive and see if the menus and/or sonic moves around. But if you find one that works, be sure to UNBIND it from player 1 if you want to use it for another player.

Hi, OK got it working with my Logitech Dual Action controller (USB) with MAME on my TV. Very nice. Thanks for your help!

Back