Potential Caanoo Buyer Question

crazyfooinc

Still Fresh
Hey everyone, I've been flip-flopping between purchasing a WiZ or Caanoo all day, and have some questions about the Caanoo;

-How big, if any, is the Caanoo an improvement over the WiZ?

-Is the touchscreen improved on the Caanoo?

-Does the analog stick work fine for things like NES games?

-How is the battery life, and is the battery user-changeable?

-Does the Caanoo use the same charger as the WiZ?

Thanks for your time everyone! :p

crazyfooinc said:
-How big, if any, is the Caanoo an improvement over the WiZ?

USB host, G-sensor, vibration motor, analogue joy, bigger screen, builtin WiFi support, and a lot more...

-Is the touchscreen improved on the Caanoo?
for me it's definitely better (i don't have to push to strongly, and my WIZ has serious problems in the lower right corner of the screen)

-Does the analog stick work fine for things like NES games?
yes, it's very good, but the NES emulator itself is not yet perfect (i'm sure it will be fixed soon)

-How is the battery life, and is the battery user-changeable?
excellent, and the blinking light will warn you when the battery level is low (this is also a very useful improvement over the WIZ)

-Does the Caanoo use the same charger as the WiZ?
yes, I use only one cable to charge both

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa! Thanks for the timely and excellent reply there glezmen! :lol: If I could send a digital cookie your way I would! :p

One more thing though; is the rechargeable battery user-changeable?

I believe you COULD exchange the battery from the Caanoo, but it's not really user-exchangeable by default. You'd have to remove the screws in the back, and access the battery from there, or something like that (I don't know because I haven't tried).

SolarLune said:
I believe you COULD exchange the battery from the Caanoo, but it's not really user-exchangeable by default. You'd have to remove the screws in the back, and access the battery from there, or something like that (I don't know because I haven't tried).

Ah, ok, thanks a bunch though! :D

builtin WiFi support

this could be misleading. caanoo supports a specific wifi usb stick out of the box, which is available separately. it does not have built in wifi (like the DS or iphone or pandora or ... complete the list;))

crow_riot said:
builtin WiFi support

this could be misleading. caanoo supports a specific wifi usb stick out of the box, which is available separately. it does not have built in wifi (like the DS or iphone or pandora or ... complete the list;))

the support is builtin, not the wifi adapter itself (so you have a nice GUI to handle wifi connections)

caanoo supports a specific wifi usb stick
that's definitely wrong. I have a cheap, noname wifi stick (with Ralink chipset) and it works perfectly. all depends on the chipset, if your wifi stick has a supported one, it will work. if not, you can try to download/build a module for it

i didn't want to be nit-picking, i just wanted to point out that there's no built-in wifi. really, for most of the users reading 'built in wifi support' means that there's an actual wifi chip inside the caanoo, which isn't.

uh and yes, with specific wifi usb stick i meant a specific chipset of course :)

crow_riot said:
i didn't want to be nit-picking, i just wanted to point out that there's no built-in wifi. really, for most of the users reading 'built in wifi support' means that there's an actual wifi chip inside the caanoo, which isn't.

uh and yes, with specific wifi usb stick i meant a specific chipset of course :)

yup, now we made that question perfectly clear :D

Back