Exporting Picodrive saves to PC emulators

Hi,

I'm playing through Snatcher on Picodrive SegaCD.

There is a known bug where the game will freeze at a certain point.

I'm thinking maybe I could export the save from the pandora to a PC emulator and then resume after clearing (hoepfully) that bug.

The thing is, I tried an experiment and renamed the game and save (it was too long with spaces), but now it lost all the save states.

My questions.

-How can I consistently rename ISOs and their associated save data and retain the integrity of the saves?

-Can Picodrive SegaCD saves be inported and resumed on other PC sega emulator? Is it possible to export that back to the pandora to continue?

Thanks a lot.

There is a known bug?

AFAIR, I played the full game on my GP2X using Picodrive, without any PC involved.

Your first link doesn't specify which emulator was used, while the second specifies MD.emu, which is a port of Genesis Plus, not Picodrive. Even if multiple emulators have the same bug there's no reason to assume Picodrive will too.

Had no problem to finish Snatcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished Snatcher on my Pandora using Picodrive and I had no issues.

It's the same freeze in the first ride of the card. At least it looks similar to the reported bug.

From a google search "There are some versions of the game where it game-breakingly freezes in the first car scene, you just need to get a different copy of Snatcher."

The animation just loops forever. I'm curious if the Picodrive save states can be used in any PC emulator?

And once again nothing on that google search shows they're talking about Picodrive. If you're so confident this means Picodrive will fail, despite two people telling you they've played the whole thing on it, why do you think your PC emulator will do better?

It's really uncommon for save states to work between multiple emulators because their layout and even contents is very emulator-specific. Therefore every format has to be coded for specifically and it can be a ton of extra work to make one format's data fit yours. You only occasionally see cross-emulator support where the savestates came from a very popular emulator.

The only real shot you'd have is with a PC build of Picodrive, but that'll probably be just as broken as you think the Pandora one is. But maybe you don't actually need to transfer save states and can just transfer a backup RAM image instead? You have a better chance of being able to do that, a lot of the time those are raw dumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. The reason I'm looking into this is because it already exhibited the animation looping behavior when I played through on Picodrive. I don't want to play up to that point again unless I know I can pass it.

Back