Explain Yourself!

SOLGarion

Well my avatar is my Son in his monkey outfit. Good thing it was Halloween or it would just be weird.

My handle/username comes from two places. I stole Garion lock, stock and barrel from David Eddings two series the Belgariad and the Mallorean. (And some stand alone sequels/prequels)

But then I started playing Neverwinters Night on AOL. One of the first, if not the first, graphical MMORPG. There had been some Multiplayer aircraft simulations before, but this is the first graphical online rpg that I am aware of. I joined a guild called the Soldiers of Light. You had to create a brand new character, fuck the time you spent on the one you were playing when you asked to join SOL. The character had to be human, cleric, and I think Neutral Good or something like that. You got to roll your stats. You could re-roll. And re-roll. And re-roll. Had to get all 17's and 18's. Maybe they allowed you one 16, but not in intelligence. Other fun part is even after they increased the serve size to a whopping 500 person a game, it wasn't enough. You had to wait in queue for around 10-20 minutes and even longer during prime time when everyone was off work. And all that time waiting you paid the hourly or minute by minute rate to AOL. SCAM! hehehe. We loved it. Worst part is when I began playing my father would only let me have 30 minutes of game play at a time. Both for cost and so I could go outside and get some sun. But when 20 of your 30 minutes is spent in line to get in, it sucks. Dad didn't seem to care about that.

Never played newer NWN's but the original has a place in my heart.

Now, of course, almost no one see's SOL and thinks soldiers of light unless they play WoW or EQ on the servers on which the guild is still active. Now I see my name and think ahhh NWN, but also Shit Out of Luck Garion. So Soldiers of Light Garion or Shit out of Luck Garion, either will work. ;) And when I pronounce it I think the word soul. Never actually talked to guildmates in anything other than text chat so I wouldn't know if they say the letters or pronounce it soul like me. Whatevs, thats how and why I got the name SOLGarion. All about finding a name no one else uses. Used to use Draxus here and there, but would find someone already registered it in some places.

Sad part is you can find out a LOT more about me by googling SOLGarion than my real name.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/n-zQWEp_IvY?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
My (usual) avatar is Mega Man X. Specifically, it's the icon from the Microsoft Windows port of Mega Man X8, which I was trying to get running under WINE at around the time that I joined over at GP32X.

My username is technically one half of a Mega Man-related Pandora pun. In Mega Man ZX and Mega Man ZX Advent for the Nintendo DS, there are two sibling antagonists, called Prometheus and Pandora. That's why I picked Prometheus as my username. :p (If you check my profile, the picture there is of the Prometheus from whom I take my name. Furthermore, if you check the header of my sig-blog, you can see the pun taken one step further.)

Avatar: Back in the days of the old forum, Craigix had a picture of Johnny Depp as Ed Wood as his avatar. When I joined, I noticed many people had pictures parodying his avatar. The joke was pretty old by then, I would find out later. But it was fun nonetheless. So I took a screenshot of Craig in his ushanka and merged it on. Then, I made him shoot lightning bolts out of his hands. You could interpret that he's a magician, allowing devices such as the Pandora and iCP come into existence. My original inspiration was Emperor Palpatine. For some reason, I felt they had something in common. Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

Handle: It doesn't mean anything, to my knowledge. I chose it because I figured no one else would take it. And it still manages to be taken in some places. I used to be known as "The 56k Avenger," pistol-sniping people in Day of Defeat. But then we got DSL, and things changed.

Sage: It's pretty cool learning the stories behind users' avatars and handles.

My entry for the "Make an avatar for DaMummy" contest. I'm afraid it's not very good, but I never claimed to be an artist. In retrospect, I wish I enlarged it before I started applying the filters.

Ankh2.png

The Origins of "Zelest" the nick name.

The story begins somewhere in the late 90ies, something like 1997 I think. I was making myself a character for a MUD called Aardwolf. I wanted a fantasy-sounding name and couldn't think of anything. I had just been watching a few episodes of Days of Our Lives and had something of a teenage crush on a woman there called Celeste. Yes, I'm ashamed of it now, but when 16-17 you tend to be all strange and odd. So, to make it sound more fantasy-like, I spiced it up by removing the silent 'e' and changing 'c' for 'z'. Thus, my nickname was born.

Same goes for me, googling my real name and you'll get nothing apart from a couple of youtube videos of music I made, and my facebook account. Googling for Zelest, and you'll get loooots and lots. She as an avatar have quite a large digital footprint. To my knowledge, there are only about 3-5 persons using the same nickname. One of them a former classmate from way back who released his hacks and cracks under that name.

The Origins of my Avatar

The avatar(s) are made by me. Depending on which version of the board you use (Mobile or Normal) you'll see either a black and white woman with red lipstick, made by me in Poser. She got quite a few different poses, all used on my LiveJournal. Or you might see a chibi-character playing a SEGA MegaCD - also made by me - but in adobe illustrator. It is my... uhm, mental-digital self portrait. Or something. How I see myself digitally. Real me is quite very different. The general idea of a toon-like black and white character came around 2000, and have gone though a few versions since then.

im not 100% on where my nick is from, although i have a theory i think, it may have come from me playing wwf/wcw wrestling game on n64 and creating some random character with a mummy outfit, and i named him DaMummy, somehow in all this, the nick transfered to IRC way way back, and the nick just stuck as my internet name. never had an avatar, though id kinda like one, so the first person to come up with a nice mummy/pharaoh/egypt avatar for me gets a high five! the nick has absolutely no relations to me, im not egyptian in any way nor have i ever been there or have any kind of obsession with egypt or mummies

My username is an accurate description of my general habitus. The spelling comes from a period of time when I experimented with break dancing. Current avatar is a character in two of my current projects.

torpor:

–noun

1. sluggish inactivity or inertia.

2. lethargic indifference; apathy.

3. a state of suspended physical powers and activities.

4. dormancy, as of a hibernating animal.

avatar: blue-ringed octopus, deadly denizen of exotic holes in various sparse reefs.

Levi is my middle name. I've been using this for years outside of the internet as my preferred name, which has become my handle online. I constantly get Levi Jeans puns tossed at me for it though. >.>

When my family first got the net I was in Junior High and wanted a cool sounding nick and Exodus was for me so I went on IRC to use it and it was taken. I spelled it Exodous and that was taken. I tried Exodus2 and Exodous2 and those were taken. Second_exodous was not so I rolled with that. Lame I know but I've used it for 17 years (crap I'm old) and not going to stop now.

I really really liked Invader Zim, Gir is not my fav character, that would be Gaz or Zim, but he's the funniest of the bunch and also I found this animated Gif of him to use. Lame I know but I like the gif.

Crap, both my nick and my Avatar are lame.

Tam Toucan, from a time I was bored in work and created "super-hero" names from anagrams of my friends names. Mine was "Dr Tam Toucan L.S.D." (Life Science Diploma).

The avatar is from a create-your-own-south-park charater website and has some of my loves...punk, cooking/baking, trippy things, sweets and ice cream.

My Avatar is me with a Pimp hat... and it's my Wind&Water Character

PokeParadox is Pocket Paradox like Pokemon and... I still use it because it's pretty much stayed unique for I don't know how many years!

I played the original Red version like crazy... the newer games are a bit meh... It feels like there is no chance to catch 'em all.

username is my last and first name, middle inital

avatar is a picture of ED holding a pandora I violated with MS paint to make him look like a panda bear

My username is just a pseudonym. Ethan Ridger. He's a character in a short story I wrote a while ago for my high school writing class. Basically the guys' girlfriend kills himself, and the guy kind of spirals in an odd, emotionally dead way. It sounds pretty clichè now that I think about it. I think the only unique thing about it is that he's not completely innocent. The girlfriend was mentally unstable, but he was... I can't exactly find a good single word for it, since I'm trying to summarize a whole messload of pages from years ago. I guess he's just a distant, unfeeling person who sorta fed into her suicidal tendencies. I feel like I can write a lot about it. The requirement was for two or so pages, but I wrote at least 15. The thing that really bugs me about the story is that I never finished it. It's probably really strange, but I'm attached to this name now.

I've written a lot of stories, but the main character always has the same name. I'm terrible at coming up with names. Before that it was Kevin Renner, just a drop-in name I stole from the Mote in God's Eye.

My nick comes from my primary school days, where one of my friends nicknamed me it, as my last name is Morris, it's just shortened... or something.

As for my avatar, I was bored of my old one (I have no clue of what that was anymore), and my brother happened to have been watching spongebob, I saw this random humerous charactor, and thought 'meh, that'll do.'

And now it's probably time to come up with something more original.

Username is from a band called Matenrou opera, avatar is from a concert of them I was on. That's it :eek:

My avatar I found in one of those free newspapers. it just had the caption "pig swimming contest in china" nothing more not even an article to go with it. I ripped it from the pdf version of that newspaper and used in one or another form on many fora.

swim_piggy_swim_.jpg

Mine is easy. David (or Dave) Bowman from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Arthur C. Clarke just might be my favorite author. He was decades ahead of his time, writing about theoretical technology that we are only now developing (for instance, HAL-9000 had holographic memory storage). Clarke wrote the definitive paper on artificial satellite orbits of Earth, which are now named "Clarke Orbits" in his honor.

I'm also a very big Stanley Kubrick fan, and he co-wrote the movie with Clarke, which I think is pretty cool. The movie's special effects - despite being decades old - still stand up to even the most modern of CGI.

The avatar is just a humorous take on a famous scene in the movie. Add a 20th century mustache and voila! Nobody else that I've seen really uses Dave in forums either. HAL is the one that gets the attention, so I use Dave instead. Specifically why I like 2001: It's a story about mankind developing through the use of tools, and then the tools eventually turning on mankind (HAL going crazy). I'm still suspicious that my Pandora is going to try to murder me in my sleep one of these days...

Back