Evercade - buy your retro games on carts for this thing

Well, I think it's capable of running at least some megadrive games, given some of those in these packs never being released in the arcades, and only on that system at home.

But that's what i don't get. Do you think they're just mailing developers saying "we own these, do you want to licence?" Or are they expecting developers to come to them... But why would a developer approach them when they don't know what licences they hold.

That's like me saying "I sell cheap handhelds", but you're not allowed to know which ones i stock!
From what I gathered they buy licensing rights, and turn that into a portfolio. Basically the music industry, only for games.

From what I gathered they buy licensing rights, and turn that into a portfolio.
Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question.

What good is a portfolio potential buyers can't see?

Last edited:
To be honest, if you don't want to play any of the games on it that have already been announced, don't buy it. Simple as.
Is this directed at me? If so, I'm not debating getting one. I asked a question about Piko Interactive's IP ownership, which arose due to them being the latest pack

Maybe there's an NDA developers sign to find out the full list of IP.
ED's response didn't sound like he'd signed an NDA; but even then, it doesn't really answer the question on why you'd hide what you're trying to licence out.
But rather than drag off-topic into ad-nauseum, I'll give up. I've not finished any game ideas in a few years, so the idea of updating some old favourite just isn't going to happen

Is this directed at me? If so, I'm not debating getting one. I asked a question about Piko Interactive's IP ownership, which arose due to them being the latest pack
I guess so yes. I don't see why the question's relevant is all. You can't buy the IP, you can only buy one of these precollected cartridges with a copy of the game on. Or are you coming to this from some other use-case I'm not considering?

I guess so yes. I don't see why the question's relevant is all. You can't buy the IP, you can only buy one of these precollected cartridges with a copy of the game on. Or are you coming to this from some other use-case I'm not considering?
It's not relevant to the evercade... However piko interactive came up here, so i checked their site, and i saw they advertise that they have the full ip rights to "hundreds of games" available to licence. As a "developer" i was curious to which games they had rights to, but they don't list them anywhere on the site.

So the question i pondered was "How would a developer know to contact Piko for a licence when you don't know if Piko actually have that licence because it's not listed anywhere?"

Obviously Piko know which they have, and ED knows for some reason, but it effectively means a developer looking to remake an old game would basically have to go round knocking on doors looking for who owns the ip they are after.

It's like having a shop where you're not allowed to know what's being sold IMO.

So yeah, it's off topic, i don't get it, but the chances of me looking to remake an old game is unlikely (though i do have one in mind, if i get to that point)

Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question.

What good is a portfolio potential buyers can't see?

Potential buyers can request a list and they will get that.
That's pretty normal, no company usually has a public list of every single IP they own.
[doublepost=1567369254,1567369063][/doublepost]
Obviously Piko know which they have, and ED knows for some reason, but it effectively means a developer looking to remake an old game would basically have to go round knocking on doors looking for who owns the ip they are after.

I know because they wanted to offer their games to a distributor I'm closely working together with.
Though I'm sure if I ask Eli (the guy who runs Piko), he'll send me the list as well. I might even license some games to create some emulator game packs (for Everdrives, the MIST or Pyra / Pandora).

It's like having a shop where you're not allowed to know what's being sold IMO.

Which is pretty normal for most B2B shops.
Unless you're registered and ask for it, you won't receive a list of their stuff or have access to their webshop.

Which is pretty normal for most B2B shops.
Unless you're registered and ask for it, you won't receive a list of their stuff or have access to their webshop.
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I guess that makes sense, I suppose I was kind of looking from a consumer perspective than a business perspective. I don't deal with many B2B purchases, but ones I have seen tended to show items, but not prices, until you registered.

Oh I see. So your query was merely about one publisher on the evercade. Sorry, I was slow to catch on to that.

Wikipedia says:
On January 2, 2018, Piko announced via their website that they had closed a catalog acquisition of 60 titles, now owning over 100 IPs. The acquisition considered of mostly original IPs from developers Accolade, Beam Software, GT Interactive, Hasbro Interactive, Infogrames, Legend Entertainment, MicroProse, Ocean Software and Spectrum HoloByte.

It also has a list of self-published and inherited games. I've not counted them, but there might be about 100 games listed there.

So, those Evercade preorders go live in a few hours. They say they're making 3000 of the black Evercades, as a "Collector's Edition".

Man, it's gonna be hard to collect all 3000 of those black Evercades.

they've gotten some press coverage:
https://newatlas.com/games/evercade-handheld-retro-gaming-system/
[complaint in the article - not sure why 3.5mm jacks are quaint, i prefer them to bluetooth (esp regarding security).]

didn't realize this was a multi-game-per-cartridge deal, that actually makes a lot of sense. carts are more expensive, so if you can spread that physical cost over more games it just makes dollars and cents.

So, a few days ago Evercade said they were close to signing on two new publishers, then in the last two days they've made a couple of cryptic tweets that seem to hint at maybe Arc System Works.

I dunno, what do you guys make of two identical dragon emoji?

Nice. That's probably an overly positive review, given he couldn't find anything negative to say about it at all, and I personally doubt it even makes sense to have microswitches underneath those face option buttons, but I couldn't say what is actually there - maybe clicky metal domes, but I don't think I've ever actually seen those used since the early 90s or maybe earlier.

That weird box cut out of the left on asteroids on VCS seems to be present for the opening seconds of the game on other youtube videos of the game. Dunno what's up with that, but I'm not familiar with that game myself; think I've only ever tried out Stella on my Pandors using Yar's Revenge.

I am wondering why he didn't say much about the quality of the controls. Especially the d-pad...

Back