GP2X Etiquette - Comments Please From Code Authors

vic20-ian

Website
Visit site
Quick questions on etiquette so I don't tread on toes.

I modified some of the keyboards on the Vice alpha 3 and posted how to do it and also sent the altered source to the author Snaff for incorporation into alpha 4. This is my first attempt to add something to the community that can actually be used on the GP2X.

Questions :

Is it acceptable to you coders out there for others to tinker with your published code and recompile and post it here as an unofficial release or is that stepping on toes?

I have tried to go about it the way I think I would like to be treated but with open source what are the rules of etiquette you follow?

Actually the question is not so much about your etiquette, but that of the developers. People need to make it clear what they will allow with their code, when they release it. Giving it a known license (like GPL or whatever) is best, because then you've given a clear signal about what the code can be used for.

In my experience, if people have put code out without any copyright notice etc, they are generally happy for people to use it as they wish. That's not how copyright law works though, so I tend to steer clear of such code.

If you're unsure, try to get in touch with people through here, or e-mail, or #gp2xdev on IRC. If you can't make contact, then it's up to your conscience what you do :). If you credit people in your app for significant bits that you've taken, then I'm sure no-one will get all heavy on you!

The whole point of open source is actually to be able to access and improve on other people's code.

That being said, it'd be nice if you would credit the original author where credit is due, and not claim the work as your own.

If you do that, it's unlikely that someone will get pissed at you.

(Basically, I'm with stupid ---^ :))

If you are working on a dormant project it would make sense to make it available (giving due credit). If the author is currently issuing releases, I think it would be very bad form. It would also get confusing in terms of version numbers etc.

It is often best to send it to the dude in question, so as to avoid a big public <i>thing</i>.. but yeah, the community is all about this sort of thing so good show :)

jeff

As a rule, I do modify other peoples work to suit my own personal needs. However, I would very rarely, if ever, release a modification of others work without either consulting them first (and obtaining permission). I have modified, and am modifying some of Franxis Mame work to see how far it can be pushed around, but it is for my own personal use, and I would never release it (adding new drivers by patching the latest Mame 102/103 code down to Franxis implementation of v34).

My advice would be to submit any modifications you do to the original author, and if they choose not to use it, then it was never meant to be, and at least you can continue to use it for your own benefit. If the Author no longer wishes to support their own work, then that is a different matter, and if you ask permission to carry it on, then you could take ownership and start modifying it accordingly (with proper credit where its due).

Back