Epiphany

paddy

Website
Visit site
Hi

Just to let you guys know Epiphany is working on pandora ,it is working well,not crashed yet and is rapid,the only downfall is that it doesnt display some images on webpages but its small very fast and works nice without crashing/disappearing , did i say its very fast ?

update
install epiphany
install epiphany-extensions
update

network list

EvilDragon said:
Hmm.. it uses webkit and therefore should have the same bugs as Midori.

But Chromium is also webkit AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are different versions of Webkit. I use Epiphany for tests sometimes, and it is *old* and does not even support web fonts (it's a compile option I think ;)), while the WebKit version used by the browser I use normally (Google Chrome 6.0.437.3 dev) is blazingly fast and supports WebM and WebSockets and whatnot.

can anyone compile the latest version of Google chrome Dev for Pandora the one that includes built in flash and webm etc is this possible? if not when will a newer version than the one we currently have be available cos im sick of he poor browser experience on Pandora so far but i do love the device and appreciate it takes time for people to do ports or cross compile these things its just frustrating is all.

I believe the one we have was straight from the Angstrom repo. Ed did say he had to hack it a bit in order to get it working as a PND however.

milkshake said:
can anyone compile the latest version of Google chrome Dev for Pandora the one that includes built in flash and webm etc is this possible? if not when will a newer version than the one we currently have be available cos im sick of he poor browser experience on Pandora so far but i do love the device and appreciate it takes time for people to do ports or cross compile these things its just frustrating is all.
The "built in flash support" depends on a binary blob at compile-time.

I think that blob is platform-specific and only available on platforms with an official Google Chrome release.

google chrome is now officially out for some linux distros ubuntu etc isnt there anyway we can that version working for pandora instead of chromium?

milkshake said:
google chrome is now officially out for some linux distros ubuntu etc isnt there anyway we can that version working for pandora instead of chromium?
Nope.

Oh, because "Google Chrome" (With the built-in flash) is a closed source project. So unless they compile one specifically for Pandora's CPU we can't have it.

Most of Chrome is released as "Chromium", the open source web-browser we CAN have. It's almost the same thing, but one of the things it's missing is the built-in flash.

(To make it more confusing, a "Chromium" build can suck in the flash plug-in from an existing Chrome install. So on a PC you can have chromium with built-in flash, but not on a platform that doesn't have chrome.)

Back