Enlightenment

RavenX

Still Fresh
Website
bis.midco.net
Not exactly Pandora news, but I know some people are working towards running Enlightenment on the Pandora. As a big fan of Enlightenment, I just thought I would share this story. It was recently announced that Samsung will be helping to sponsor the development of Enlightenment. This should mean great things for the speed of development and the increase of stability and polish on what is already one of the best window managers available.
Here are the links:
/. Samsung Sponsors the Development of Enlightenment
Phoronix: Samsung Sponsors The Development Of Enlightenment

It is great news, I don't know how far their contributions will go, probably nobody does at the moment but it cannot be a bad thing. Wasn't enlightenment going to be the default desktop environment, until a short time ago when XFCE became the front runner?

Dead1nside said:
It is great news, I don't know how far their contributions will go, probably nobody does at the moment but it cannot be a bad thing. Wasn't enlightenment going to be the default desktop environment, until a short time ago when XFCE became the front runner?
I think I would have preferred Enlightenment as the default. But no big deal, I can always switch it myself. THIS IS WHY I LIKE OPEN SOURCE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would have preferred it using the enlightenment libraries for the full desktop, but I am somewhat biased as I like the environment itself, with its reduced memory consumption, as well as the fact that I am planning on writing apps for the pandora using their libraries. Would make my job easier having the libraries built into the core image, but I'll survive making it statically linked with it. News itself is great, as it might well push them to stabilize their current code and finally release the thing in an actual formal release. Also having such a large company partnering with them and using the software in actual products will increase it's use and hopefully spur even more development of it within the mobile space.

JDGBOLT

PEF (aka ZiB,Effigy,etc)

Is written using the EFL and with the news of Samsung jumping in bed with the Enlightenment team with the intent on create mobile apps. It seems only logical that the EFL would be included as a standard library on the Pandora. XFCE is a fine desktop and adheres to many standards which makes it easier to deal with (though it lacks true innovation or visual appeal). I for one will continue to use the EFL for development and hope that XFCE's inclusion doesn't interfere with the overall development experience.

Back