Release Enigma

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
Enigma (http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/) is a puzzle game inspired by Oxyd on the Atari ST and Rock'n'Roll on the Amiga. The object of the game is to find uncover pairs of identically colored Oxyd stones. Simple? Yes. Easy? Certainly not! Hidden traps, vast mazes, laser beams, and, most of all, countless hairy puzzles usually block your direct way to the Oxyd stones …

I made a port of Enigma for the Pandora. Essentially it is just a recompile (easy port), but I did make some Pandora-specific changes:

• Enigma supported only 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 screen resolutions, so only the 640x480 resolution could be used directly on the Pandora. I added a 800x480 video mode, which required some changes to the code to put the inventory and timer at the right (usually it is at the bottom). The font for in-game text (which is not hugely important, most levels don't use it at all) has become very small, since there are only 12 pixels left on the bottom. But the bigger playing field is nice (26% bigger than in 640x480 mode). You can switch to 640x480 if you really need the larger font for the in-game text.
  • Mapped the Pandora buttons to do sensible things, e.g. START or action buttons (when they're not needed for PGUP/PGDN/HOME/END) to activate menu items, SELECT to show the in-game menu or go back to the previous menu, L/R triggers to switch level packs in the level menu, etc.
  • Made the menus a bit more dpad-friendly (so you don't need to use the mouse pointer), by making it clearer which menu item is currently selected.

Since Enigma uses relative mouse movements, the touch screen does not work as expected during the game. This is somewhat inevitable. The game is meant to be played with the nub or an actual mouse (I did not test the latter but it should work).

I just uploaded the PND to the repo.

Please report any bugs and use this thread to give me any feedback.

Old one was by me and did only 640x480 so this is a good improvement.

Will disable the oldversion on repo soon :)

Edit: I didn't even upload it to the repo ;) Your version is superior anyway and I am happy, that you want to maintain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old one was by me and did only 640x480 so this is a good improvement.

Sorry bro... was mine ;)

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,174

Or did you also ported it?

Btw: I also did some 800x480-stuff, mainly to support touchscreen on the black border left and right of the playfield. Thought it worked pretty good. While playing I am switching between nubbing and touching.

_wb_, the whole source code of the game including my modifications are in my enigma pnd, so you could mix my sdl-mouseevent-stuff it into your newer one to support touchscreen. It was a bit tricky to not let the marble jump around when switching between nubbing and touching.

I've played the GP2X Port and the Pandora Port from whynodd, last one is much better of course since we can use analog controlls on the Pandora. :) Of course I also will test the new Pandora Port from _wb_, the best thing already is, that Enigma is finaly in the Repo. :D (I wonder if my old savegames are compatible)

Hmmm. I know that I built it, but maybe I saw yours on the repo and never released it ;)

I didn't know there already was a port (I only checked the repo, since I somehow got the impression that the other archives are now "deprecated"), but perhaps that is a good thing because otherwise I might not have done this :)

I'll try to add whynodd's code to get better touchscreen support. Playing this game with the nub is not easy, at least I'm not good at it (but then again, I'm not used to nubbing because I only have my Pandora for a few days). So touchscreen support could help for more precise control (e.g. pushing a block from one tile).

I also want to put my sources somewhere, but I don't think putting them in the PND itself is a good idea (adds too much to the size) - is there any standard way to put the sources somewhere? By the way, I did all coding and packaging on the Pandora itself, and this was a surprisingly comfortable experience (obviously the Pandora screen is not a 21 inch one and my typing speed is a bit slower than on a full big keyboard, but my thinking speed is slower than my typing speed anyway).

One more thing I should mention: I disabled the shadows in my version, because on the Pandora screen it is hard to see the difference between the black marble and its shadow, which makes you think the marble is bigger than it really is. Getting them back is just a matter of commenting in two lines of code.

For sources, you can ask EvilDragon, if you can have webspace on the server. Will be a domain like _wb_.openpandora.org.

Or create a git.

I've made a revised version which has whynodd's code to improve the touchscreen behavior in-game. The touchscreen still behaves incorrectly (offset) when you go back to the menus after having played the game, but that is not a very big issue since you can navigate the menus (most of them anyway) with the dpad and action buttons. And of course the nub and/or external mouse behave correctly so you can use those too.

I also made a slightly tweaked screen layout, which allows for a larger text font in-game (22 pixels instead of 11). I set this as the default.

The game area is 20 by 13 tiles. The 640x480 video mode uses tiles of 32x32 pixels, my first 800x480 mode uses tiles of 36x36 pixels, and this new 800x480 mode uses tiles of 35x35 pixels. You can choose any of these three modes in the options menu.

Does this game use sdl?

Then notaz sdl could be used to correct the touchscreenoffset or you can use djwillis fix.

Edit: Yes, seems to use sdl.

Have a look here for notaz sdl:

Or here for DJWillis fix:

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=293

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to add whynodd's code to get better touchscreen support. Playing this game with the nub is not easy, at least I'm not good at it (but then again, I'm not used to nubbing because I only have my Pandora for a few days).
Thats nothing compared to play the game with the digital stick from the GP2X. I didn't know how I dit it but I was able to play it this way, of course not every level, especialy not the ones that need pixel correct movement. So the Pandora analog solution really is an big improvement compared to the GP2X version. :)

Back