Encoding XVid or DivX?

Dweeze

Still Fresh
Sorry got the subject titile wrong, Doh

I'm trying to encode a music video with DivX 4.12 which has lots of scene changes, high contrast and fast movement, but if I adjust frame rate to go above 13 it starts to make the sound a bit choppy in places. My settings are

Video

Bitrate 128
Max Quart 10
min quart 2
Res 320 x 240

Audio

Compression 32 KBit/sec 11025Hz
Conversion 44100Hz stereo

Is this just the nature of the codec or can I tweak something to push it up to 15 FPS ?

I've got my GP set to 150Mhz, is it safe to run it at this speed for long periods with GP Cinema ?

I am having the same problem, could someone please put a virtual dub processing setting up for download that works for them in gpcinema. The one that this site gives you makes the files to big to put on an smc. :(

I've also tried a bitrate of 64 and 256Kbs, the same thing happens.
I've been looking over old posts and come up with this, check Jim Degriz

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=3305&hl=choppy

It appears to say that if you use full resolution with some action movies you may have problems with choppy sound.

Can any one elighten us?

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find my Virtual Dub settings on my ftp :
ftp://Drumaster@drumaster.myftpsite.net/

This one is with one pass but it's better to do with two pass.

In fact if your file size is huge it's because with GpCinema you have to select "Decimate by 2" in Framerate menu or "Decimate by 3" if you have MoviePark.
If you put your own frame rate it doesn't work very well and the file size will be increased and the sound not synchronized with video.
"Decimate by 2" is the best quality/filesize rapport.
I hope to have helped you.

Excuse me for my bad english but I'm french.

In fact the GP32 cant decode if the data rate is too hign...
So if you wanna have a better framerate then reduce sound quality...
If you use 11KHz mono 16kbits you can go up to 25fps with a 16/9 file
you can use with VDub the framerate modifier without any problems....Im using between 12 and 16 fps for 4/3 Divx depending on what the source is...(decimate by 2 is enough for Japanese anime..)

If you want more info send me a mail (I already made more than 10GB of DivX for the GP32 so I can help you a little more)
see you ;)

I've got my GP set to 150Mhz, is it safe to run it at this speed for long periods with GP Cinema ?

i've also played at 150 and not exeperienced any problems, except for the eating-o-batteries of course. it's weird that this speed works very well with gpcinema on my gp but not so well with opensnes :/

Washo is right, after loads of encoding and testing it seems that if the overall data rate goes to high the GP can't handle it.

This seems to happen on very fast and busy videos. So even though the GP can handle 25FPS, it can only do it on ideal videos.

The video I was originally encoding had to be dropped down to 12FPS before it would playback without choppy sound, no matter what other tweaks I tried.

Any more comments or tips are welcome.

Thanks to every one.

Update

Using a guide by Jim diGriz, I've managed to get the FPS upto 14. Find it here:

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ewaystation/mpdivx.html

Using a DivX 2 pass method I've now got a higher quality video and smaller file size with 14FPS.

But I don't like the sound with generally accepted sound settings (32KB, 11,025Hz) so I use 40KB, 22050Hz and it's sooo much better with music videos.

With the lower sound settings you could probably get the FPS up higher.

Thanks again and all the best to Jim diGriz.

I tried it on various speeds, the faster the better. It plays fine on the PC. I'm not stoopid :)

I mentioned the speed I'm using in my first post.

Back