Encoding video for the Pandora on the Pandora

No, not that I know of, but please don't quote me on that. Anyway, here's a quote from the one and only BP.

As for video editing, no, unfortunately there's nothing for that. I don't think it's been brought up that much, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
ffmpeg, not PND packaged however. Install distro to your SD unless angstrom repos have it.

What format does the Flip HD record to? From what I can tell, it's H.264/AAC in an Mp4 container.

I guess they're naturally just slightly too high-resolution for the Pandora to handle them.

Transcoding would be your best bet, if it can get close enough to realtime. Converting just to view would be quite painful- unless you don't mind the wait.

A port of Handbrake would be nice ;) But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's not as easy as ./configure && make

In my oppinion ffmpeg or mencoder are the 2 best CLI softwares for video encoding. There are several GUI frontends to download for these, both in GTK and QT.

Stefan Larsson.

I built ffmpeg for pandora, but didn't really test it. If it is of any use, I can upload it.

Do you think with the addition of the dsp, if that ever gets implemented ;) . That we will be able to play higher rez videos a little smoother?

Winff is written in pascal, no experience with that, sorry.

I know a simple javagui for it, will see if it runs on Pandora...

Well, the javagui wasn't working, so I compiled a small qt4 gui for it.

http://www.udosworld.de/24-small-ffmpeg-gui.htm

small-ffmpeg-gui.jpg

Get it here: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=ffmpeg-small-ffmpeg-gui-269

I was successfully able to convert a flv file to mp4.

If anybody can port a better gui, feel free to take the ffmpeg stuff from this pnd.

Last edited by a moderator:
^MCOBIT

Thanks, that looks neat. I will give it a try.

I usually convert via windoze usuing AnyDVD > Super , and then copy files to SD card. This takes some time for a full DVD, I don't like to skimp too much on the quality!

I can't see doing any kind of serious encoding on the Pandora as an option though, it must be painfully slow, except for small files.

Back