Emulating Keyboard Presses With Usb Game Pads

Pleng

My favourite Amiga game of all time is Knockout AGA.

The game only used 3 controls and took advantage of this fact to allow 8 players on one computer using 2 controllers and cramming another 6 people around the keyboard. Now I don't fancy trying to crowd 6 people round my Pandora to try and play it! Is there any way to map the dpad/buttons from USB controllers to keyboard presses?

My current pandora-input-drivers allows to map Joystick button to the action/game buttons of the pandora, there are a few solutions to remap gamepad to normal keyboard presses tho, I can't think of any right now, but I came accross some before - googling should help.. if you can't find anything you can always write a small app yourself.

Doesnt this depend on the amiga emu rather then the Panda it self? My point is you should easily be able to bind joypads to different keyboard-keys in the emulator. If the coder decides you should be able to.
B!

Pleng said:
My favourite Amiga game of all time is Knockout AGA.

The game only used 3 controls and took advantage of this fact to allow 8 players on one computer using 2 controllers and cramming another 6 people around the keyboard. Now I don't fancy trying to crowd 6 people round my Pandora to try and play it! Is there any way to map the dpad/buttons from USB controllers to keyboard presses?

I use a program in linux called joy2key which emulates keyboard events using a joystick. I am not sure if it is available in Angstrom, but it should be trivial to port. You can map buttons or axis to key events and it has various ways in which it can send the events such as raw, ascii, or X events.

Last edited by a moderator:
pder said:
I use a program in linux called joy2key which emulates keyboard events using a joystick. I am not sure if it is available in Angstrom, but it should be trivial to port. You can map buttons or axis to key events and it has various ways in which it can send the events such as raw, ascii, or X events.
Oh, yes!
Used it to play Quake on my N800 with USB-host hack :)

Awesome, thanks guys.

Just gotta find 7 friends now!

mali said:
pder said:
Oh, yes!
Used it to play Quake on my N800 with USB-host hack :)
I use it on both Windows and Linux these days. Excellent piece of software :)

I did mention the need for software of this type a while back and pointed to Joy2Key. Hopefully it should be one of the programs installed by default as it would mean 100% compatibility to web based flash games like Quake Live etc.

Pleng said:
Not much chance of that then :p

Don't forget that the emulator might have support for multi-player over the net if were very, very lucky.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Pleng said:
Not much chance of that then :p

Don't forget that the emulator might have support for multi-player over the net if were very, very lucky.

Haha I think I'd have far more chance finding seven people to play it locally than I would to play it over the internet.

Are there even any Amiga emulators that support netplay (with up to 8 participants!) anyway?

Back