Embarrassingly Stooopid Tv-out Question

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
I finally decided to try out this TV-out cable.
the s-video is different then the s-video "thingy" I have for my g4 powerbook.

what is the connecting cable I need to get the TV-out cables into my TV (which only has yellow, red and white input jacks)

(hooking my powerbook to the tv, I use the s-video -> extention -> TV video input + a y-splitter from the laptop headphone jack -> TV white and red inputs)

I figured it'd be the same principle for gp2x, but the s-video is wrong ... might this be a Europe vs N. America thing? (I'm in the latter btw)

if someone could maybe post a link to the cables I need, perhaps order online, that would be great.

sorry for being stupid ;)
t.

If your laptop is like most, it actually puts out both s-video and composit signals. The s-video to composit (RCA) 'converter' for you laptop just takes the composit signal from the plug and puts it to a RCA conector. If you look at the s-video conector for you GP2X TV-out cable, you should see 4 pins. Your laptop connector will have more pins (7 or so).

You need to get an s-video to composit converter online or from consumer electronics store (besy buy, radio shack, etc.). Shop around as I have seen them go for anywhere from 5-20 dollars for the same thing.

According to http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic all you have to do to convert the signal is put a 410 pF cap from the Video_C line to the Video_Y line, and then tie that to the center pin of the RCA connector. I've never actually tried it though.

The yellow input on your TV is a composite input. The red and white are for audio only. If your Powerbook-cable looks like the input on your TV, then it's a composite cable, not s-video.

What you need is an s-video to composite cable and connect this to your TV-out cable.

I think this picture will explain (I only found this pic on Google-images, I am not affiliatiated to this store in any way :)):
malesvideo.jpg

buntz posted on Sep 29 2006 at 07:31 AM said:
If your laptop is like most, it actually puts out both s-video and composit signals. The s-video to composit (RCA) 'converter' for you laptop just takes the composit signal from the plug and puts it to a RCA conector. If you look at the s-video conector for you GP2X TV-out cable, you should see 4 pins. Your laptop connector will have more pins (7 or so).
Actually on most PC's the software will see the resistance on only one S-Video line and switch to Standard Composite for you.

The extra pins are for RGB. On my dongle S-Video, RGB and Composite are accomplished with only the 3 signals, the Computer is smart enough to sense which I have plugged in and switch to the proper mode.

If that doesn't work I can force it to what I want in the settings.

Until the GP2X gets a utility to set the Conexant TV chip properly for A/V composite you must get an adaptor that has the crapola capacitor hack in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get one on ebay and you find it works in colour (not just b&w), can you post the link?
I've had no luck so far with any convertors I've found at home/work :(
But then again I'm PAL (UK) so it may not help I guess.

Back