Email clients making me sad... anyone solved issues?

groovechicken

I have had my Rebirth for a few months and have been loving it, but I am still carrying 2 other gadgets with me all the time because I have managed to replace the others with Pandora software yet. Here's the rundown:

1. Thunderbird is great for my needs, and I like it as a client, but I haven't been able to get notification sounds working. If I am going to make this my main messaging client, I need sounds.

2. I can get sounds working in Sylpheed and Claws but can't get html display working in either of those. The other issue is that only Sylpheed will properly update the IMAP folder list to pick up a folder I added recently.

3. Trojita has too many bugs, so I gave up on that.

I could live with any of these clients if I could have working sounds and html, but I prefer Thunderbird if anyone know how to fix sound and folder list updates. I would be willing to help update and test any of these if I had a little guidance from the maintainer. I would also be willing to port something else if there is no better solution.

Which brings me to a question I have had since I first started looking into the Pandora... why are there no KDEPIM apps in the ports yet? If it is just because no one has taken the initiative, I would be willing to start looking into porting them. If it is because people have tried and not got them working, I would rather avoid the wasted time.

Any thoughts on any of these points?

FWIW, on Claws Mail on my laptop, I needed to install the Fancy HTML Viewer (aka Webkit) to get decent HTML mail rendering.  I have completely failed to get sound notifications of new mail though, so I'd like to know how you managed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, on Claws Mail on my laptop, I needed to install the Fancy HTML Viewer (aka Webkit) to get decent HTML mail rendering.  I have completely failed to get sound notifications of new mail though, so I'd like to know how you managed that.
I looked at the dependencies for the Fancy plugin on debian and I am guessing it would be a beast to get working in SZ. I may have to experiment with pandian to cover my messaging needs.

For sound notifications, go to Preferences, Mail Handling, Receiving. Under After receiving new mail, Run command, check off when you want sound then put in for the command, mplayer /pathtosoundfile.

Ah, I tried that approach using aplay, but it hung the program whenever it received new mail, for reasons I don't quite understand.  Ta, I'll give it a spin using mplayer instead.

why are there no KDEPIM apps in the ports yet?

Maybe because you will need to bundle a half terabyte of KDE libraries to get this working..  
I know there are a lot of KDE haters out there, but I love it. I plan to run Plasma Active on the Pyra. SD cards are big enough that the qt and kde libs won't be a significant problem if that is the only hurdle. Heck, my old Zaurus 5500SL ran scaled down KDEPIM with no problem over a decade ago.

A decade ago, KMail did not have the debacle called Akonadi that's dependent on MySQL.

Last time I tried about a year ago, KMail would hang up trying to update mail after about 2 minutes of use, and it would work another 2 minutes if I restarted the service. And that was on a default OpenSUSE 12.3 install, connecting to a single Dovecot IMAP server that works perfectly well with every other mail client I tried. Really sad... Kontact was a really nice PIM suite.

And that was on a default OpenSUSE 12.3 install, connecting to a single Dovecot IMAP server that works perfectly well with every other mail client I tried. Really sad... Kontact was a really nice PIM suite.
Bummer, that's bad news since I was hoping to use it with Kolab Server when I get time to set it up on my Digital Ocean droplet.

I guess the next question would be if Evolution has not been ported for similar reasons?

As it stands, I am stuck having to choose between not having audio notifications or running 2 clients simultaneously, which is not good on a resource limited device. I can't function without html viewing because so much of my mail is html at this point. Personally, I would prefer the good old days of plaintext, but the rest of the world didn't ask for my opinion.

I may have to experiment with pandian to cover my messaging needs.
Debian extends have worked great with SZ in the past for me.
Debian extends? I can't recall hearing that phrase before. Are you referring to adding debian repos to install through opkg? Is that even possible? How would you keep them from installing to nand? Or are you referring to something else?

Unfortunately, Lightning only seems to work with EXT2/3/4.

With FAT32, you can't add calendars or new events.

Unfortunately, Lightning only seems to work with EXT2/3/4.

With FAT32, you can't add calendars or new events.
Oooh, it's that? Permission right issue again... That will be difficult to fix I guess.
Yeah, most probably. And difficult to fix, as it's an addon... the only way would be to download the addon, fix it and offer it as uploadable file for the Pandora.

But might be possible. I guess there is some code to set permissions for only one user as normally linux would be a multiuser system. When this fails it will throw an error and say bye bye.

of course this program wouldn't work for multiuaersetups anymore if it is changed.

Not sure that this is the only problem with the Lightning-PlugIn, because I tested it on an ext4 partition (Thunderbird PND) and it didn't work at all ... and also in Thunderbird under Slackware it is broken on the Pandora (which runs on an ext2 or ext4 partition, can't remember right now)

Or I am completely missing the point of the current conversation, which may very well be the case :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure that this is the only problem with the Lightning-PlugIn, because I tested it on an ext4 partition (Thunderbird PND) and it didn't work at all ... 
Uh, the Lightning plugin "work" for me on thunderbird pnd, (earlybird in fact), but I cannot create any event (on a Fat32 partition).

Not sure that this is the only problem with the Lightning-PlugIn, because I tested it on an ext4 partition (Thunderbird PND) and it didn't work at all ... 
Uh, the Lightning plugin "work" for me on thunderbird pnd, (earlybird in fact), but I cannot create any event (on a Fat32 partition).
It has been a while since I last tried. I remember it behaved strangely on first start. I just tried again and it probably is more like what you have. I cannot import any calendars or edit the current one, all buttons are grayed out. But I have the .PND on a ext4 partition in ../pandora/apps/

Back