Element IM

Last edited:
I have come across pages where people got it running on the RPi and people here have said that if things can be run on that then chances are it’ll run on the Pyra - this would be awesome!

Reactions: rSl
That rather depends on when it was said. The rPi2 feaures A7 chips which are slower and less capable than the Pyra. The Pi3 contains A53 cores which are 64-bit but not the speediest. The Pi4 features a much faster 64-bit chip, but gets rather hot.

Well I can't run the web app, it's broken. I'll need to be able to compile the actual desktop app for 32 bit ARM.
Sorry, but you cannot "compile" this, at least in the way I think you are thinking.
The "desktop" app, like many these days it seems, is built on Electron... which is Chromium/NodeJS bloat running a "webpage".

Sorry, but you cannot "compile" this, at least in the way I think you are thinking.
The "desktop" app, like many these days it seems, is built on Electron... which is Chromium/NodeJS bloat running a "webpage".
So might as well just run it in-browser/as a web app?

As I understand it, running a web app outside of a web browser removes the web furniture from around the sides, such as status bar and address bar. I've never knowingly run a web app on my linux boxes I own these days though, so I can't be sure.

Well, more or less. I think Electron provides access to certain functions that you can't normally in a web page.
I'm pretty sure the Spotify app can use the Windows system tray, though TBH, I stopped using it, so I might be wrong

I guess what I'm asking then is, is there Electron that will work on Pyra?

I guess what I'm asking then is, is there Electron that will work on Pyra?
Well, I guess it shouldn't be a problem to get something that will at least start and work initially. It may turn your RAM into a burning ruin when left unsupervised for too long, though.

MS Teams is probably the most widely used electron app now, and the Linux Preview eats about 1.2 GiB RAM spread across 10 threads while idling directly after it started on my company laptop. For some reason the 32-bit version they installed on my Windows VM is much more lightweight, so maybe you're in luck and electron is being compiled with hardcore memory usage optimizations when targeting a 32-bit platform.

I could start WhatsApp web on the prototype.
And that ons is Electron, too AFAIK (not sure)
If it's the webpage you load in your browser it's not. I think this is another thing I'm just gonna have to try on the Pyra when I get it.

Back