What do you think about Edges's review

• Fair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unfair

• Edge is totally retarded

• Total voters

its not like the first few batches of gp2x's have been without there problems is it.....

I think thats its alittle unfair to call edge retarded...BUT edge diddnt really give Gamepark credit after all it was that team that created this open source console idea... and the GP2X will become a super handheld in time, maybe it was reviewed a tad to early.

That article was not really reviewing the GP2X much more complaining about what's wrong with the system and even then they're exaggerated.

most of the world expects a $200 piece of hardware to come off the line, tested, corrected, redesigned and tested again. I prefer it myself. what did you think they were going to say about it in a fair review? There wasn't much software out, and they were reviewing hardware anyway.

2x is what happens when a product is rushed to market. We all welcomed the rush, so we're happier than anybody who had no idea what it was. Compared to a first gen DS or PSP, GP2x's problems are major.

lol, i would not consider software problems "major" comapired to all the hardware flaws with the psp man! the dpad hitting the lcd iternally, dead pixels blurry lcd umd launcher feature the list goes on

triton posted on Dec 23 2005 at 06:32 PM said:
lol at i would not consider software problems "major" comapired to all the hardware flaws with the psp man! the dpad hitting the lcd iternally, dead pixels blurry lcd umd launcher feature the list goes on
The funny thing is, I personally have never experienced any of these, nor have 2 good friends who enjoy the psp on a daily basis *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see. As far as I can tell, the only thing wrong with the review is the "single analogue stick" comment. Of course, that's hardly important when the criticisms they level towards the stick are entirely true. There's nothing in there that even suggests they didn't spend time playing with it.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 24 2005 at 01:25 AM said:
most of the world expects a $200 piece of hardware to come off the line, tested, corrected, redesigned and tested again. I prefer it myself. what did you think they were going to say about it in a fair review? There wasn't much software out, and they were reviewing hardware anyway.

2x is what happens when a product is rushed to market. We all welcomed the rush, so we're happier than anybody who had no idea what it was. Compared to a first gen DS or PSP, GP2x's problems are major.

Unfortunately we have only the GPH who is willing to provide us with such product like the gp2x. This isn't high volume/big revenues unit so the firm has to cut corners where it's possible. This is reason why we have dumb issues with gp2x (like bad factory lcd's timings, inneficient use of memory, sd recognition problems, etc.).

No... I'm not happy with gp2x's issues as I have already had to deal with some of them but what else I could buy in place of gp2x?

PSP? Haha, NO!

Nintendo DS? Even less.

Some kind of PDA? Lack of proper controls...

There is only the gp2x and remember that those 200$ are for complete product where with PSP you (as in the Sony's eyes) you are getting just a ticket to further spending (costly memorysticks, content on the umc disks and unfriendly attidute towards homebrew).

It's fair to complain about the GP2X's issues, but I felt they were really pushing for a negative tone to the 'review' there. I mean, several points were either misguided or just plain wrong.

* Why mention the lack of two sticks/d-pads? For its intended audience this would be an almost complete waste of resources. It's not a PSP!
* Average TFT screen? Compared to what exactly? Sure it's not the biggest, but at least it doesn't suffer from dead pixels and the quality is pretty good (when modified...which I'm sure Edge have the nounce to do)
* The first two Quakes are frankly unplayable tests? Uhh...the second one yes, but the first one? I doubt they even played it.
* The batteries apparently 'leave a discouraging impression'. Yeah, I don't see why this really warranted a whole paragraph of bitching without any actual factual basis. Dumb.

PS, I hate Edge. These comments are entirely bias. Something which Edge would never admit to, of course...

WTF Neo Geo CD some Time? Heck I'm playing puslar at a nice speed with background music right now, WTF. And NES? Hello? Megadrive works better than the NES emu and GP2Xengine works nice too allready. completely retarded they didn't even try the available software and are talking about low battery times while rechargable batteries make the gp2x last longer than any PSP out there. It's not like they cost 50 Bucks unlike LiOn spare battery packs!

i agree with everything about the joystick, bad choice, but i don't find it "spongy"
for the TFT bah it's good average :)

but for buttons, it's true that they're a bit close, but they say "they're so closely grouped that you could easily press all four at once with a thumb" .... but hey, i wanna be able to press them with ONLY ONE thumb! all at once if i need :p how is it a default? i don't get their formulation ?!

they're also pityful about battery life... so i'd say quite unfair! :eek:

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 24 2005 at 01:41 AM said:
Hello? Megadrive works better than the NES emu and GP2Xengine works nice too allready. completely retarded they didn't even try the available software

True, but it depends what was available when they went to print. I'd imagine they just missed Reesy's emulator or...yeah, they're completely retarded ;)

And considering they dedicated several jizz-filled pages to the PSP's dubious homebrew scene this is a really poor write-up.

what a shitty article!

They made it sound like the screen was bad, wtf? The screen is much better than the blurry, stuck/dead pixel ridden, widescreen psp.... i thought they looked cool until I saw one in person.... they are terrible! Everything blurs, my friend had 7 dead pixels, the nub was very difficult to use and the d-pad was pretty bad. And the rechargable batteries are so expensive! In the review they made AA batteries sound bad, but they get better life than the psp does and they are MUCH cheaper. And they said that quake isn't really playable? I've been playing it and it plays pretty well. The hardest part about playing it is the controls.....

Conclusion:
EDGE is either retarded, never touched a gp2x, or have been payed off by someone (probably psp homebrew scene)

whiskthecat posted on Dec 23 2005 at 07:13 PM said:
They might be getting paid off by sony.

It's a well-known fact in the industry that Sony provide paid-trip to Japan to gaming "journalists" every year.

Back