Edge Magazine's 100 Best Games To Play Today

Username said:
Nova said:
*waits for a GOW fanboy to come and "correct" me*
Every time I play through that game or it's sequel I get more and more pissed as I go along. Usually by the end of the game I want to break my disc and throw it at my neighbor's window while he sleeps. It's not just how the game plays that pisses me off either. Most of the time it's the fact that whoever wrote the dialogue/story for the game needs to find a new profession, and that whoever designed the characters should be thrown into a vat of hot urine. Why do they have boomboxes attached to their chests? Not only does this seem like a waste of everyone's money, but none of them even have flashlights. In the game they even justify this by saying something like "I would rather have more ammo than have a flashlight", which is dumb because flashlights cost close to no money and they have tons of useless shit on their armor. Fuck Gears Of War. Also all characters and plot seem overly generic and cliché. :( Now I must stop ranting retreat to my cave.

I don't remember them saying anything about that, but I do remember them saying they don't wear helmets so they can see snipers. Anyway, if you're getting worked up like that by Gears of War, you're the problem, not the game. It's nothing special, but it's a solid 3rd person shooter with a good co-op experience. The story, dialogue, and character design are all ridiculous, but in a hilarious sort of way. The best experience I've had with Gears of War was playing co-op with a friend and making fun of the game the whole time. It's like buying a $1 B-movie from the bargain bin and then drinking with friends and making fun of it. What makes it even funnier is that you know there are people out there who take it seriously and think that the game is brilliant. So basically, the surface of the game is ridiculous in a MST3K sort of way, but underneath that it's a solid shooter.

And no, I'm not a Gears fanboy, I don't give a shit about a potential sequel, and I'd never pay $60 for the game. But your reaction is ridiculous, especially since you say "every time I play through that game or its sequel", implying you have punished yourself like this more than once. Have a beer and play it with a friend with a sense of humour. It will be much more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
I don't remember them saying anything about that, but I do remember them saying they don't wear helmets so they can see snipers. Anyway, if you're getting worked up like that by Gears of War, you're the problem, not the game. It's nothing special, but it's a solid 3rd person shooter with a good co-op experience. The story, dialogue, and character design are all ridiculous, but in a hilarious sort of way. The best experience I've had with Gears of War was playing co-op with a friend and making fun of the game the whole time. It's like buying a $1 B-movie from the bargain bin and then drinking with friends and making fun of it. What makes it even funnier is that you know there are people out there who take it seriously and think that the game is brilliant. So basically, the surface of the game is ridiculous in a MST3K sort of way, but underneath that it's a solid shooter.

And no, I'm not a Gears fanboy, I don't give a shit about a potential sequel, and I'd never pay $60 for the game. But your reaction is ridiculous, especially since you say "every time I play through that game or its sequel", implying you have punished yourself like this more than once. Have a beer and play it with a friend with a sense of humour. It will be much more enjoyable.
The most fun I had with it was being really baked and playing the endless horde mode online with a few friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back