Edge Magazine's 100 Best Games To Play Today

Zatoichi

Still Fresh
So now I'm allowing myself to dream I'll get my hands on a Pandora in the next month-ish, I remembered an article Edge magazine did on what they thought where the top 100 games that still stand up today for their 200th issue. Curious to know what people make of it, as I can't say I agree with all of it. Seriously, no Sensible Soccer and only one 8bit game? Still good to see a lot of what I do agree with should be playable on the Pandora!

100. R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
99. Far Cry
98.Star Fox 64
97. Resident Evil(GC)
96. Zelda: Twilight Princess
95. Football Manager 2009
94. Space Giraffe
93. The Sims 2
92. Animal Crossing Wii
91. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
90. Braid/
89. Final Fantasy VI

88. Panel De Pon
87. Doom 2
86. Singstar/
85. The Secret of Monkey Island

84. God of War
83. Peggle
82. Sam & Max Hit the Road
81. Silent Hill 2
80. Quake III
79. Pac-Man CE
78. UFO: Enemy Unknown
77. Zelda: Majoras Mask
76. Planescape Torment
75. F-Zero GX
74. Puzzle Quest: COTW
73. Frequency
72. Skate 2
71.Outrun 2006:Coast 2 Coast
70: Daytona USA
69: Super Smash Bros Brawl
68. Shadow of the Collosus
67. Chrono Trigger
66. Prince of Persia: SOT
65. Thief II: The Metal Age
64. Puyo Pop Fever
63. Lemmings
62. Ninja Gaiden II
61. Robotron 2084
60. Puzzle Bobble
59. Viewtiful Joe
58. Gears of War 2
57. Deus Ex
56. Counter Strike Source
55. Pokemon Yellow
54. Ico
53. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
52. R-Type Final
50. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
49. Rez HD
48. Final Fantasy VII
47. Eve Online
46. Disgaea: AOD
45. TES IV: Oblivion
44. Jet Set Radio Future
43. Portal
42. Fifa 09
41. Race Driver: GRID
40. WarioWare Inc.
39. Super Monkey Ball
38. Starcraft
37. Fallout 3
36. Burnout Paradise
35. Castlevania: SOTN
34. Bioshock
33. Geometry Wars RE2
32. Team Fortress 2
31. Bomberman
30. Company of Heroes
29. Advance Wars
28. GTA: San Andreas
27. Mario Kart DS
26. Medieval II Total War
25. Final Fantasy XII
24. Virtua Fighter
23. Zelda: The Wind Waker
22. GTA Vice City
21. Metal Gear Solid 3
20. Super Mario Bros 3
19. Civilization IV
18. COD IV: Modern Warfare
17. World of Warcraft
16. Super Metroid
15. Rock Band 2
14. Street Fighter IV
13. Left 4 Dead
12. GTA IV
11. LittleBigPlanet
10. Yoshi's Island
9. Halo 3
8.Super Mario Galaxy
7. Tetris
6. Super Mario World
5. Zelda: A Link to the Past
4.Resident Evil 4/3. Half-Life 2
2. Super Mario 64

and finally... 1.Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The industry picks were:

Kyle Gabler - Grim Fandango
Katsuhiro Harada - Ultima
Ralph Baer - Ping-Pong
Tetsuya Mizuguchi - Xenon 2: Megablast
Jeff Minter - Star Raiders
Gabe Newell - Super Mario 64
Steve Jarret - Gears of War
Yoshinori Kitase - Alone in the Dark (also mentions Hearts of Iron)
Lucy Bradshaw - Simcity 2000
Jenova Chen - The legend of Sword and Fairy
Masaya Matsuura - is apparently crap at games, so didn't pick one?!?
Cliff Bleszinski - The Legend of Zelda
Sukhbir Sidhu - Burnout 3: Takedown (A big influence on Peggle apparently...)
Mark Healey - Super Mario 64
Clint Hocking - X-Com: UFO Defense
Martin Hollis - Parappa the Rapper

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-100-best-games-to-play-today

So what do people think should have made the list?

(Edited list for legibility!)

you should edit that list to make it easier to read and highlight which ones will work on pandora.

I think it's silly to have Mario 64 so high. While it is a fantastic game in its own right, nearly every 3d platformer since has outclassed it, including two more Mario titles.

Mario 64 was a complete disappointment to me, as my first two n64 games were DK and OoT! DK is still awesome, even though it was my first game!

Are the jungle green consoles worth more than the black ones? I have one with expansion pack, but it's missing the expansion slot cap and EXT cover!

Lunatic said:
I think it's silly to have Mario 64 so high. While it is a fantastic game in its own right, nearly every 3d platformer since has outclassed it, including two more Mario titles.

Have to agree, the recent Ratchet and Clank's have been brilliant, but get no mention for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to highlight Super Metroid (#16). That was one of my favorite games for SNES.

Lunatic said:
These list are always hard to swollow as your own personal opinion is going to be different then most other people. While I agree Mario 64 was quite high on the list and should maybe of been lower I understand why its that high. Super Mario 64 set a standard that has been followed in most of the 3d platformers available since then. I believe alot of games in this list follow a similar system like why is Resident Evil (#4) but there is no Resident Evil 2 even on the list? My opinion is Resident Evil 2 was better than Resident Evil 1, but of course this is my opinion. Maybe this is because Resident Evil set the standard for the series.

Also 28 games on that list can be played on the Pandora!!! thats a little over 1/4 the amount listed. Thats pretty good!

Vorporeal said:
You forgot to highlight Super Metroid (#16). That was one of my favorite games for SNES.
D'oh! Fixed!

Willrandship said:
Mario 64 was a complete disappointment to me, as my first two n64 games were DK and OoT! DK is still awesome, even though it was my first game!

Are the jungle green consoles worth more than the black ones? I have one with expansion pack, but it's missing the expansion slot cap and EXT cover!
Wow you didn't get an N64 till DK (Donkey Kong 64?) came out? Of course you would be disappointed. That'd be like me saying I was disappointed (just an example)with Goldeneye 64 because my first games were Perfect Dark and OoT.

Most people that played Perfect Dark liked it more than Goldeneye. It doesn't mean that when Goldeneye came out that it wasn't one of the best FPS cause of that. Mario 64 was one of the launch titles for the N64. Donkey Kong 64 was released a whole 3 years after Super Mario 64.

Zatoichi said:
Curious to know what people make of it, as I can't say I agree with all of it.
I'm sorry, but I think this is quite possibly one of the worst best-games lists I've ever seen (though, coming from a publication like Edge, I'm not surprised :p). Most best-games lists are pretty bad filler material anyway, in my view, though.

The only such lists that count are those by real people, rather than laughable "games journalists".

That's what I make of it. :p

Will mame run Virtua Fighter, I wonder?

At any rate the 32x one will work once Notaz gets 32x support in picodrive

Mario 64 has been improved upon, that's for sure, but the hub system in that game was the best of the mario franchise! IMO!

Chris

For me System Shock 2 is missing. Always liked it far more than Bioshock due to superior atmosphere.

I am surprised to find MMOs.

Rez, still looking forward to this one.

I want my Pandora <.<

Planescape: Torment should eventually be playable on the Pandora too. Pickle recently got GemRB so once it works upstream, Planescape should appear on the Pandora too.

I was annoyed so I started listing games that should have made it. But the list got so long i decided to go with just this:

"100 games that still stand up today"

Gears of War 2: 58th
Call Of Duty IV: 18th

Mario 64, from years ago: 1st

Wait, what?

Back