Easywrite2x

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes
Website
Visit site
I'm back again, and this time I'm armed with a text editor!

It uses the EdgeWrite software (google it) to facilitate text editing on your GP2X. It's only a demo at the moment, and you can only write as much text as the screen can hold. In fact, I don't even know if it works on the GP2X, but we'll see. Source code is available on request, just PM me.

In fact, at the moment it's not even a text editor, as you can't really edit text. The letters a-z and A-Z work currently, and I'll work on support for other letters when my GP2X comes, which should be some time next week.

Well, give it a go, and tell me how it works!

File Removed.

To test if it works, try pressing up-left, down-left then click the joystick. Should have said that before.

Ninjia^ posted on Dec 5 2005 at 12:37 AM said:
I tried it aswell just goes straight back to the menu after you start it.
Same here. Tried to fix the launcher script (./EasyWrite2X.gpe instead of ./easywrite2X.gpe) but does nothing,

Does it need some libraries?

Last edited by a moderator:
EdgeWrite is surely interesting, but it looks like a stylus text entry method. As I don't have received my GP2X, I didn't test Easywrite2x, but it may not be suitable for joystick text entry. Recently I've read a complaint from a gnome developper about the PSP text entry. He linked to Dasher wich seems more suitable for handhelds without stylus.

mongolito404 posted on Dec 5 2005 at 07:54 AM said:
EdgeWrite is surely interesting, but it looks like a stylus text entry method. As I don't have received my GP2X, I didn't test Easywrite2x, but it may not be suitable for joystick text entry. Recently I've read a complaint from a gnome developper about the PSP text entry. He linked to Dasher wich seems more suitable for handhelds without stylus.
Have a look at the papers on the EdgeWrite site - a lot of research is being done into using EdgeWrite with joysticks and it works really well. However, I did a quick port of my gp32 implementation to the gp2x a while ago as a test and it didn't seem to be as responsive or accurate as the gp32 version because of the gp2x stick needing more movement. Might just need a bit of code tweaking to improve things a bit though.

Dasher is a nice system, but for small resolutions I prefer something that doesn't take up any of the limited screen space.

Last edited by a moderator:
This software may not work due to some libraries not working properly. It will be recompiled and you can try it out again later today. As I have said, I don't have a '2X so I have no idea whether or not it works, so bear with me.

PS: Wow, I'm on the front page! ^_^!

Easywrite has been updated, it should work now if it didn't before.

Remember: up-left, down-left, joystick click should get you an 'i'.

Back