A Simple Txt Editor

Lobo

Howdy folks. I've tried all of the text editors available(not too many but heh) for the gp2x and find them basically unusable, either due to having a wierd and complex input system or other things. Maybe it's my own ignorance but I just find them overkill.

For all my text editing needs, what I usually do is boot up qtopia and use it's editor. This editor is absolutely perfect for my needs, since most text editing I do on the gpx is just to tweak a script or change a value or two in a config file for some game: I'm not writing big documents here. I also love the little virtual keyboard: I think it's perfect for inputting data.

The problem with the qtopia editor is the time it takes to edit a file: I have to boot up qtopia, which takes a long time, but what really slows everything down is when I try to open the text file with the qtopia editor. Since it seems to scan your whole SD card, it takes forever to actually find the file you want to open.

So basically what I'm after would be a clone of the qtopia editor (with little virtual keyboard like Vice or Frodos) running under the gpx instead of inside qtopia, and with a more normal way of opening files.

Anyone know if this already exists? Or is anyone willing to take a shot?

Shikaku posted on Jul 26 2006 at 02:01 AM said:
Use the latest sterm and open VI.

Maybe if I had a real keyboard. :D

I think a lot of people could actually use a real text editor on the GP2X. I would like to see one done.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it's not.

I was messing with them again yesterday: EdgePad and EdgeWrite. One of them has that wierd inputting system which I can't figure out, and has no simple way of opening a text file (you have to link the files you want to open, which makes it useless for what I need) and the other one won't run for me anymore on FW 2.0.

Back