Easy Fix For Gp2x D-pad

First of all, this should not have been posted in the news section, as it's a simple mod.

Secondly, it's been done before (and discussed here)

I won't be a dick and close/delete the topic, I'll just move it to where others can read it for themselves :p

TelcoLou posted on Apr 2 2006 at 05:44 PM said:
First of all, this should not have been posted in the news section, as it's a simple mod.

Secondly, it's been done before (and discussed here)

I won't be a dick and close/delete the topic, I'll just move it to where others can read it for themselves :p

Sorry, I didn't know, just wanted to share something I thought worked out good. I dodn't know anyone else had done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
NP :)

... damn! You shouldn't have that 'Newbie' description under your user name ... guess you don't post much ;)

The joystick you get with the GP2x is a joystick. Changing the cap still means it is a joystick. (A rose by any other name is still a rose - to quote a Chinese proverb). A joystick is not a D-pad. A D-pad is similar to the Nintendo controllers on game&watch, NES, SNES, GBA, DS (and other makes). Chalk and cheese. Work differently and are controlled differently.

TelcoLou posted on Apr 2 2006 at 07:38 PM said:
... damn! You shouldn't have that 'Newbie' description under your user name ... guess you don't post much

Yah, I don't post unless I think I have something to share, but in the end it turns out I didn't. :(

bacteria posted on Apr 2 2006 at 07:41 PM said:
The joystick you get with the GP2x is a joystick. Changing the cap still means it is a joystick. (A rose by any other name is still a rose - to quote a Chinese proverb). A joystick is not a D-pad. A D-pad is similar to the Nintendo controllers on game&watch, NES, SNES, GBA, DS (and other makes). Chalk and cheese. Work differently and are controlled differently.

Sorry for the bad terminology, but I thnk iyou know what I mean - the idea is that this new stick has better grip than the original, you it works better. Not as nice as the stick on a Neo Geo Pocket Color, but much better than it did.

In the picture, it shows a red thing in the joystick? Where do I get that red thing?Is it the chunk of plastic? Where to get chunk of plastic?

bacteria posted on Apr 2 2006 at 08:41 PM said:
(A rose by any other name is still a rose - to quote a Chinese proverb)
Errr... isn't that Shakespeare? And wasn't it

"That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet"

Anyway, you're right, for what the gp2x is normally used for a joypad is better, but a nicer cap really doesn't hurt either.

I have the daveC one, it makes a big difference, even though it's still not as good as a joypad. One day I'll get around to swapping it out I guess.

FluffyPanda posted on Apr 6 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
bacteria posted on Apr 2 2006 at 08:41 PM said:
(A rose by any other name is still a rose - to quote a Chinese proverb)
Errr... isn't that Shakespeare? And wasn't it

"That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet"

Anyway, you're right, for what the gp2x is normally used for a joypad is better, but a nicer cap really doesn't hurt either.

I have the daveC one, it makes a big difference, even though it's still not as good as a joypad. One day I'll get around to swapping it out I guess.
Ah, I have a feeling that both of us might be right (Chinese proverb AND Shakespeare). Anyway, was is Shakespeare, or one of his students (Bacon, etc) for whom William took credit for (we are getting into history land now) - he did that quite a bit, you know!

See Nickspoon, I can post a reply on a joystick thread without mentioning about the "how to make your own D-pad" article. (oops, too late ). ;)

Back