DVD to HDD copying

Grab an XBMC live-cd and boot it to check if you like that as playback appliance.

I've seen some plugins for ripping CDs/DVDs in the past, but I have no idea if those are still maintained. These days it is easier to download the content of your DVD collection than manually ripping them one-by-one.

[edit]Apparently, there is indeed a ripper which is still maintained: swiss-army-knife. I have no experience with it and cannot comment on the quality.[/edit]

If it is legal in your country to download TV-shows of usenet, then sickbeard (with SABnzbd as backend) works great in conjunction with an XBMC box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend Openelec (a small linux distro that simply launches into XBMC) as the perfect playtback device - it really is an appliance, and if you have it on a machine with a DVD drive then there are addons that may do what you want (Makemkv or swiss army knife). Check it out at http://www.openelec.tv/ I have it on a zbox ID41 Ion HTPC.

Openelec optimizes for specific hardware, be sure to check if your hardware is supported.

But indeed, Openelec takes the appliance approach even further than XBMC-live does.

Back