Dvd To Divx

karmaKid

Still Fresh
What software do you guys use to convert DVD's to DivX? Also, what settings do you recommend in terms of resolution and FPS?

autogk is the best program for dvd>divx/xvid.

i recommend using dvd decrypter or dvd shrink to actually rip the dvd to your hard disk then convert that file by loading the dvd ifo file. (its encrypted so its important you use one of these programs as they decode the files)

heres some images of how to rip a dvd (star trek the final frontier)

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/946/dvdripping1za3.png

i used to use pocketdivx becuase of its simplicity, but avidmux is much more full featured and good for making high quality videos at low file sizes.

and yes, a vote for dvd decrypter to rip.

i've had satisfactory results by halving the frame rate, resizing to 320x240, sound at 64kb/s mono, and setting vbr 2 pass encoding with final video size (not including audio) set to around 1mb per minute. (not the highest quality, but exceptable for the tiny file size!)

Another easy-to-use, fast and powerful DVD to DivX for Linux: AcidRip (available in the Ubuntu repositories) It is a visual wrapper over mencoder. You know: click here and there and go make coffe.

juanvvc said:
Another easy-to-use, fast and powerful DVD to DivX for Linux: AcidRip (available in the Ubuntu repositories) It is a visual wrapper over mencoder. You know: click here and there and go make coffe.
Works fine for me with abr 96kbps for audio and 600 kbps for video, Tuxrip is also very easy to use.
There's a problem when you're using the mpeg4 codec, the new libavcodec changed the fourcc tag from DIVX to FMP4, that makes your video unplayable on the GPette.

Here's a fourcc changer for linux, gfourcc:
52899.png

download

Last edited by a moderator:
Back