Duke 3d

steven84

Still Fresh
had duke 3D been ported over yet for GP32? -should be more challangeing to port than wolf3D etc

Steve

steven84 posted on Sep 12 2004 at 04:52 PM said:
had duke 3D been ported over yet for GP32? -should be more challangeing to port than wolf3D etc

Steve

nope.

but it might be possible to do seen as Quake is working Good :D

wanst the problem them Floating Point things or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really needs more than 8m of ram :-/

The duke mod for doom is near exact to level one of duke, try that its about all there is for now.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

maybe when we can use extern HDDs over gp32linux... because they are so fast, stuff can be read from the hdd and be as fast as RAM.

you could try the old windows trick - convert free space into virtual memory , the atomic version of duke 3d was about 60-70mb to install (im sure using v memory direct from the card rather than usb would be faster)

Steve

steven84 posted on Sep 12 2004 at 06:52 PM said:
you could try the old windows trick - convert free space into virtual memory , the atomic version of duke 3d was about 60-70mb to install (im sure using v memory direct from the card rather than usb would be faster)

Steve

But if you do that the smc will be many time rewritten, so it will not last so long I suppose

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 12 2004 at 06:21 PM said:
maybe when we can use extern HDDs over gp32linux... because they are so fast, stuff can be read from the hdd and be as fast as RAM.

Well, you might probably have some swap then... but apart from the fact that swap memory is a lot slower than standard memory (which would slow duke3d down as hell IMO), you'd have the OS overhead of linux, which would slow it all down to one barely usable mess.

steven84 posted on SEP 12 2004.06:52 OM said:

No. it wouldn't. As far as I remember, the transfer rates for Smart Media Cards are between 250kb/s and 300kb/s - about a fourth of the USB1.1 transfer rate.

I've looked at porting Duke Nukem 3D, but it contains a sizable chunk of intel assembler, which would need rewriting. It's questionable whether rewriting it in C would be fast enough, so it may have to rewritten in ARM assembly.

Not fun!

If you look on PocketGamer you will see that duke nukem 3d has just been ported to pocket pc so if you can get in touch with the author of this port the work of converting it to arm code has already been done

Squidge posted on Sep 12 2004 at 06:45 PM said:
I've looked at porting Duke Nukem 3D, but it contains a sizable chunk of intel assembler, which would need rewriting. It's questionable whether rewriting it in C would be fast enough, so it may have to rewritten in ARM assembly.

Not fun!

From what I've seen of the engine, it is the most unholy hack imaginable. I wouldn't touch it if you paid me.

i hope it does get ported , i used to be a map maker on it and i used to make loads of custom maps maybe the multiplayer mode would work too if we are lucky :)

Steve

A guy was talking about porting it a few weeks ago, over at the duke 3d source code bit of the 3drealms froum.

But Im not sure how much he knew about coding so it was probably just another guy trying run before he could walk but you never know....

It would be great to see it done one day.

Yep Duke3D would be awesome. Should run much faster than Quake. Hopefully someone will pick up the pocket pc version.

Actually I believe it uses a similar amount of floating point as Quake does, so expect it to run just as fast. I've looked at the C source code, and it looks like they started from an empty file, and patched it until they got Duke3D. Not very nice to read at all.

Mind you, the BOR source code wasn't that pretty either, and that wasn't too difficult to port.

Hmm... Can't find the authors email address, so dropped a few requests in forums where the PocketPC version is being discussed, and we'll see if the source surfaces somewhere. I believe the license requires the source code to be available for any port.

Squidge posted on Sep 13 2004 at 06:59 AM said:
Actually I believe it uses a similar amount of floating point as Quake does, so expect it to run just as fast. I've looked at the C source code, and it looks like they started from an empty file, and patched it until they got Duke3D. Not very nice to read at all.

Mind you, the BOR source code wasn't that pretty either, and that wasn't too difficult to port.

Hmm... Can't find the authors email address, so dropped a few requests in forums where the PocketPC version is being discussed, and we'll see if the source surfaces somewhere. I believe the license requires the source code to be available for any port.

That would be awesome squidge! I'm sure you'd do Duke justice :) Hope they give you the source.

Well, I'll certainly look at it if the source becomes available. However, since I've got 4 other projects as well now, it may take a while, so if anyone else wants a stab at this, feel free.

I'd really like to take a look at it (I know, I'm not a coder but an interviewer) but I'd give it my best try and trying with lots of failure is better than not trying at all!

Hooka posted on Sep 14 2004 at 07:18 AM said:
I'd really like to take a look at it (I know, I'm not a coder but an interviewer) but I'd give it my best try and trying with lots of failure is better than not trying at all!
Agreeed and than someone might take it off you once your stuck :) or give u some help

Hooka posted on Sep 14 2004 at 07:18 AM said:

There are a lot of things I'd like to take a look at and try and get working, but I'm always confused by the sheer number of files, let alone anything else. Open one and I've not got a clue where it fits in, and often what its supposed to do (I'm not what you'd call *good* at C yet lol).

Good luck anyway, if the source does come out :)

Back