Ds Region Free?

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
I believed it is currently unknown as to whether ths Dual Screen is region specific however he on import madness It is labeled as region free along with all the games. I believe it would be bad to label it region free if they did not know for shore so maybe it definetly is.

why should a damn handheld not eb region free? only reason would be a stinking comopany that wants to maximise their money with lizensing diffrent regions

Seeing as they have not done this befor i assume they will not do it now. Still i will not buy one till christmas when its the JAPAN release so i know for shore.

sure, not shore, didn't think you knew since you spelled it wrong twice ;)

Something that leads me to believe it is; it has GBA cart support, and the GBA is region free. Just go for it Sam; you could always sell it when it comes out in the UK on the 1 percent chance it isn't.

cant order till november anyway. Virthday. I may even have to wait till christmas anyway.

And sure i new it was spelt sure but that sure had hopped out of my head for a few minutes so i thought, sure ill use shore as in the sea shore, as i had forgotten how to spell sure :ph34r:

the reason handhelds are region free and consoles arent is because TVs and consoles run on different voltages and settings

whereas a handheld is universal because it doesnt depend on anything else to work

mattmagoo posted on Oct 9 2004 at 09:24 PM said:
the reason handhelds are region free and consoles arent is because TVs and consoles run on different voltages and settings

whereas a handheld is universal because it doesnt depend on anything else to work

I don' think that this is really a problem today. The different TV formats are also not a problem today, i think the consoles manufacturers do it, because they can make different prices and make more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
TV is a problem

I Know for a fact that my tv doesnt work in NTSC mode but it is 60hz

just coz new TVs run NTSC in PAL territory does not mean everyone owns a new TV

I am about to put my order in on importmadness for 3 consoles and 3 copies of Mario 64X4.

It makes sense to have a handheld region free...think about it.

Say your an international jetsetter, unlike myself, you take your DS on a flight from London to New York. You play Mario 64 on the way, and love it - obviously. But on the way back, you want something fresh and new....but... oh wait...you cant buy a game in New York for the very handheld you are holding, because it's region locked. Bad News.

It all makes sense, it will be region free. If it isnt, it's pure greed, which Nintendo have been known for in the past. But they're a business, so you cant blame them.

THe reason Consoles are region protected is so you buy games from your region and the money goes to the local distributers. It's to protect the local market not to scam more money for the console manufacturer as people believe.

kotd posted on Oct 10 2004 at 02:37 AM said:
THe reason Consoles are region protected is so you buy games from your region and the money goes to the local distributers. It's to protect the local market not to scam more money for the console manufacturer as people believe.

In anycase the console (or DVD) manufacturer / publisher has much to gain from region locking products. Do not think they do it out of selfless love for the distributors or 'local markets'.

It is to protect regional pricing, which usually boils down to 'how much the market can afford pay'.

I have no problem with it, until they start taking people to court for defeating DRM / region encoding.

r0lf posted on Oct 10 2004 at 04:48 AM said:
kotd posted on Oct 10 2004 at 02:37 AM said:

In anycase the console (or DVD) manufacturer / publisher has much to gain from region locking products. Do not think they do it out of selfless love for the distributors or 'local markets'.

It is to protect regional pricing, which usually boils down to 'how much the market can afford pay'.

I have no problem with it, until they start taking people to court for defeating DRM / region encoding.

agreed. local market/local distributors, my arse. where did you hear that?

That have two face they put on it, one like already stated to protect the local markets, whic is the friendly explaination they use to look good in the public eye and the other as stated is to make sure they gett all the money they can, more obvious but you dont go telling people that part. :p

I think we can expect to see the DS non region protected, not because they have any desire to be fair but only because it'll cut down on production coast not to have to encode it. But I DO beleive the PSP will be region protected because of the disk medium they're using. You know they arnt going to let you just import movies so easily so if they do it for them they'll do it for the games as well.

from http://www.dscentral.net/
Mitch Crim, a Nintendo rep has confirmed reports suggesting that the Nintendo DS will be compatible with all games regardless of the DS' region. Mitch Crim replied by saying that the Nintendo DS is a universal system and can play games purchased anywhere.

Source: Nintendo - Mitch Crim

region free :)

Back