Drsms + Gamegear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I code what I want to code, when I want to code it. If that upsets people then so be it. If its so easy to finish OpenSnes go and do it yourself danr. :) I love telling people to do that because they never do. They just come up with excuses like "I would if I could code, boo hoo". Pickup the source code and learn you lazy git is all I say to that. You spend hours of your free time wading through somebody else's code and see how much fun it is. I spend all day at work going through other peoples code, the last thing I want to do when I get home is more of the same.

I code because its fun and I enjoy it, when it ceases to be fun I move on and do something else. I honestly wish I didn't pick the source code in the first place now, all the shit I get for it but hey then I wouldn't have a version of OpenSnes with better sound.

Just as it's easy to say "you should finish opensnes", it's pretty damn easy to say "learn to code yourself". in fact it's the standard response to whenever someone asks for better emulators.

I don't have the time or want to learn how to code this stuff. And i'm pretty sure that applies to most of the people here. there's no prerequisite of coding experience to come here and evaluate or voice my opinion. I should learn to code? What about the rest of you? Since the predictable pattern is to tell someone to learn how to code, how 'bout I ask the same of you? If half the people who use that typical response actually took their own advice, we'd probably have a great opensnes by now. He said he made the source code available, so maybe if someone tried to fix it instead of thanking reesy all day, maybe everyone would have a better emulator.

I wouldn't even be bitching if not for two reasons: One, these boards have taken such a climate over the last few months (and especially weeks) that reesy is being deified. Good for him, i don't care. But my point is i see noobs who get scolded if they ask about opensnes as if it's a crime. If the noobs aren't yelled at for bringing up the sacred subject then they're just pointed towards drmd or drsms as the answer to everything. Since when did Reesy-made emulators of sega systems become the be-all end-all? Yeah drmd is good, now how bout we move on and urge someone who does have the coding skills to fix what's wrong with the other stuff? Makes sense to me. instead of tinkering around with sega stuff why don't we work on what's broken?

The main point is i wouldn't even be speaking if not for this one-sided group mentality. It's like a religion- reesy did good (I even admit that, it's obvious in his work) but I've gotten more offensive to you people because you yourselves have gotten ruder and ruder with the people who want opensnes to be better. Maybe they don't know why it isn't as good as, say, any other emulator on the GP32. (yeah yeah, the sound is a bit better. It still crackles and there are still quite a few games that run like shite on it but oh well).

I don't have anything against anyone personally, i'm just getting fed up with the ongoing opinion that none of the other programmers are mentioned nearly as much as reesy, simply on the basis that he made a good emulator. You know, there are other emulators other than sega ones, which are also good, and i'm just saying that as much as everyone worships the guy you'd think he'd want to give something back to his followers by sticking with the emulator that everyone said they wanted (but no longer admit to since they don't want to anger their god). See my point?

Oh and lastly, I did notice that yoyo first made opensnes9x. Come to think of it, I said so in this very topic since you didn't bother to read first. And yeah I know coding isn't a paying job, I never EXPECTED exact results here. I'm starting to though, since all of you people bitch at the noobs for even mentioning it and at the same time keep kissing ass. But you know, if "getting so much shit" from someone is enough to destroy hundreds of daily compliments and hours of eternal praise then either you're too easily defeated or have too fragile of an ego.

i think people are just upset with the facts that - our community is small and hasn't attracted many "longtime diehard coders" who will wait hand-and-foot onthem and not rest until close enough to 100% capable running emulators are released.

Zardoz was king for awhile but then he dropped off.

Yoyo was SUPER-king for awhile and literally showed up outta nowhere, but famously disappeared into "thin air"

Rlyeh had his spot in the sun too, but people got used to not expecting finished things from him after awhile so his "grandeur" never fully materialized either.

And when it all pretty much died down, Reesy showed up and went from an occasional board-lurker to a pretty much solid GP32 coder the likes of what GBA scene had in loopy/flubba/etc. It's not hard to see how he would be so embraced, especially after such lineage as mentioned above. And now that he's professing his eagerness to jump ship in lieu of GP2X with the 32 as an afterthought, "maybe," then of course it's going to put the usual standbys kind of on edge.

Well, whatever!! I am sick of it. After Reesy splits then all eyes will turn to Franxis and his Mame team, and they'll get the same treatment "we adore you!! Fix all of our problems in every other program!" That's too bad. Sure a little adulation is nice, but it starts getting annoying after awhile, especially when it becomes so political.

ha! why did the GP32 boards get so for-real political all of a sudden? If you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at Gamepark for releasing a new system and splitting the community (perhaps prematurely). Or fork over the moolah and go where yoru favorute coders are heading if that's what you want.

The real victims are, uh, any coders on this scene who have done NON-"high level" emulation stuff, HB devvers... they work probably as hard as the SNES/Sega guys, but get none of the love..

none of the nagging either, so that means they are probably happiest in the end, heh..

..damn!! and now you've all tricked ME into typing a long-ass post as well!! Confound it!! whine, bitch, moan.. hah hah heh.

You know, this MAY be a bad time to speak my mind again, but I get the feeling that I'm not the biggest bad guy at the moment, so let me try to mediate a bit.

danr, I sort of thank you for your defense- you've mentioned me a few times and said something about the guy that got yelled at the other day. If you mean me, then thanks for backing me up, but I'm not sure we have the same ideas.

Here's my simple stance: Drmd kicks ass. I think it's a great emulator and it's even better than my Nomad (which I was told ahead of time and used to not believe). For that I'm happy.

But I was also excited about opensnes, and on one hand I love how good it is also (I can play Donkey Kong Country fullspeed with sound, that's quite a damn feat). But in my admitted excited overzealousness to see it get past that laaaast little hurdle and play everything as good as Drmd plays its games, I started an unintentional war. That was never my intention and I apologized profusely for it.

Sure, I'd like opensnes to be better, we all would. And to an extent, I see the point about Reesy- I think loyalty to him (however deserved it may be) was part of the motivation for why I was attacked. My statement about opensnes was seen as disrespectful. On one hand I don't think I should get attacked for being unintentionally disrespectful just because everyone likes my unintentional target, I can appreciate how tough it must be to get such projects running the way people hope for. If it was easy, it would've been done by now.

So I mean, yeah, I have been a target of somewhat fervent defense of a good coder. But I've just tried to be a good, polite newb and be respectful of good and free emulation. So thanks for defending me, but I'm not really as offended about this. I admit it kind of burned me out on coming here, but I guess that's sort of what some people wanted, so I did something wrong somewhere.

The point is, I would definitely love to see opensnes continue- it's great, there's NO question. But it's so close to perfect, I only wished to not let it die with reesy's finishing of it. I know I can't do it myself, so I try to be polite about it.

But basically, there's no need for everyone to be so angry. I do think things got heated lately, so I'll just say that I hope someone can optimize opensnes in the future, that's all. We don't need to form camps of "Make a better emu now, lazy assholes" and "Learn to fix it yourself and be happy with what you got, pricks!".

EDIT: You beat this post ralp, and made a great point. Fame. Seems like it rewards you vastly with admirers, yet puts you at a place where continued greatness is expected. Sooner or later the defenders will say "let him take his time" and the expecters will say "but why doesn't he keep on it?" and eventually a war starts. The famed eventually moves on and is passed into legend until the next "great white hope" (so to speak) comes along to satisfy that current crop of expecters. Then, a new generation of naive expecters comes along, and the old school gets increasingly irritated, and somehow communication breaks down further until the cycle begins anew.

Holy shit, that's actually pretty poetic and sad....

Code whatever you want to code, Reesy, but be aware that DrSMS is by far the best emu for SMS on the GP32 there is! It would be very appreciated if you actually finished it sometime... :)
Also, will you ever release your source cod for DrSMS and DrMD? I know you won't be getting a Zodiac, but someone else could make a great port from your code, I think.

//Talyz Prower

Talyz posted on Oct 31 2005 at 04:09 AM said:
Code whatever you want to code, Reesy, but be aware that DrSMS is by far the best emu for SMS on the GP32 there is! It would be very appreciated if you actually finished it sometime... :)

See? That's my whole damn point. Everyone asks about this emu or that emu, there's always someone wanting something improved. What one person thinks is fine, someone else will still want "fixed" or "finished".

So my point all along has been that it's bullshit plain and simple that everyone gets their panties in a wad just because they dare to ask "the wrong question" or inquire about "the emulator that we all know is as good as it will get" or, gasp, asks that an emu be worked on even if someone else miraculously asked already.

My point? Drop the stuffy politics, take opensnes9x out of its ark and let people ask about it or discuss it or, OH MY GOD, even ask around to see if it's being updated. If you don't like it, then don't reply because you're never gonna shut all the noobs up so let them LEARN ON THEIR OWN instead of attacking them. This should ESPECIALLY be applied to opensnes9x, since it's still labeled as a work in progress. That's pretty fucking misleading, and god forbid some new kid reads it and asks why they haven't heard anything new about it in a few days.

Like what you did, mrdark. Now does everyone see what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo, all this this sounds serious!

Isn't the gp32 all about fun?

Ahh i guess it's human nature to always want better and better.
Never satisfied.

danr,
What you are mistaking for hero worship is simply deep gratitude.
Without reesy's work, I would not be able to play one of my favorite
console systems on-the-go. For that, I wish to thank reesy.
Perhaps we do need to be more newbie friendly but on the other
hand, many of us need to be more developer friendly. They owe us
absolutely nothing, you need to bring yourself to understand that. Quite
obviously you don't have a clue of what coding entails, so you are in
no position to criticize and advise them on how they should approach it.
So please, watch your tone when addressing people who have given you
so much.

Do you want to know why there are so many replies along the
lines of "Go and learn to code yourself"? It is because the majority of
people who do, find it tedious and difficult and there demanding attitude
changes to one of thankfulness. It is not meant to be rude.

A scene which revolves around coding, is a place for developers to have
fun. Not a place for people to get free, commericial-quality products.

Do not bite the hand that has given you so much.

Note: Thanks to all the developers who make this such a great scene and
please ignore the people who seem intent on making your life hard.

danr posted on Oct 31 2005 at 09:21 AM said:
Talyz posted on Oct 31 2005 at 04:09 AM said:

See? That's my whole damn point. Everyone asks about this emu or that emu, there's always someone wanting something improved. What one person thinks is fine, someone else will still want "fixed" or "finished".

So my point all along has been that it's bullshit plain and simple that everyone gets their panties in a wad just because they dare to ask "the wrong question" or inquire about "the emulator that we all know is as good as it will get" or, gasp, asks that an emu be worked on even if someone else miraculously asked already.

My point? Drop the stuffy politics, take opensnes9x out of its ark and let people ask about it or discuss it or, OH MY GOD, even ask around to see if it's being updated. If you don't like it, then don't reply because you're never gonna shut all the noobs up so let them LEARN ON THEIR OWN instead of attacking them. This should ESPECIALLY be applied to opensnes9x, since it's still labeled as a work in progress. That's pretty fucking misleading, and god forbid some new kid reads it and asks why they haven't heard anything new about it in a few days.

Like what you did, mrdark. Now does everyone see what I mean?

Well the problem is that whiny little bitches like you kill the scene. It is the demanding "finish the damn emu, gimme, gimme, gimme" type rants like yours that actually drive developers away. You make your own problems. What dev wants to do something for a bunch of whiners. If I were them I would make all future releases private and give to those that actually appreciate it. How would you like that?

danr posted on Oct 31 2005 at 01:09 AM said:
Geez, first opensnes9x and now drsms. If I could code I wouldnt be giving up on these things until they were as good as they could be.
Fuck off.

What some of you whiners may fail to see is the massive effort and dedication that men like Reesy put in their work and thus reinforce the whole GP32 scene. Now, about Reesy moving to the GP2X - I just bought my first GP32 two months ago. Many people I heard saying that the 32 scene is dying, but isn't it natural for it to be slowly fading away, making place for the newer, more powerful and versatile GP2X? If we would stop evolving and remain at this one discontinued system forever, all evolution within this community would simply cease to exist. Like I said, I only bought my GP32 a short while ago, and have only gratefulness to express towards all developers. Whether or not they will choose to entirely move to the 2X and leave the GP32 behind is strictly up to them, and whatever their choice is, I respect that, and so should you all. These people gave and took nothing. Whiners not only took, but then took some more.

LHC posted on Oct 31 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
danr posted on Oct 31 2005 at 01:09 AM said:
Geez, first opensnes9x and now drsms. If I could code I wouldnt be giving up on these things until they were as good as they could be.
Fuck off.

I concur.

Trooper

Reesy posted on Oct 31 2005 at 07:53 AM said:
I code what I want to code, when I want to code it. If that upsets people then so be it. If its so easy to finish OpenSnes go and do it yourself danr. :) I love telling people to do that because they never do. They just come up with excuses like "I would if I could code, boo hoo". Pickup the source code and learn you lazy git is all I say to that. You spend hours of your free time wading through somebody else's code and see how much fun it is. I spend all day at work going through other peoples code, the last thing I want to do when I get home is more of the same.

I code because its fun and I enjoy it, when it ceases to be fun I move on and do something else. I honestly wish I didn't pick the source code in the first place now, all the shit I get for it but hey then I wouldn't have a version of OpenSnes with better sound.
Well maybe I will....*

*This is not the actual view of the writer.

Ooh, I hit a nerve. Seems like yesterday most of the people here were at least intelligent enough to understand my point (and even agree to some extent) but today's halloween so i guess everyone wants to be an asshole.

Big deal. sure I'll fuck off, i'll go play my non-finished snes emulator and watch while all the pussies come here to thank everyone for it instead of wondering how it can be improved. Ooh, it hurts when someone brings up the truth. I'm as much of a whiny bitch as you all are complacent sods. If everyone just accepted whatever was given to them, we'd never have anything better. Competition and the motivation to improve is the driving force for every advancement this world has, and someday you kids will realize that.

danr posted on Oct 31 2005 at 11:47 PM said:
Ooh, I hit a nerve. Seems like yesterday most of the people here were at least intelligent enough to understand my point (and even agree to some extent) but today's halloween so i guess everyone wants to be an asshole.

Big deal. sure I'll fuck off, i'll go play my non-finished snes emulator and watch while all the pussies come here to thank everyone for it instead of wondering how it can be improved. Ooh, it hurts when someone brings up the truth. I'm as much of a whiny bitch as you all are complacent sods. If everyone just accepted whatever was given to them, we'd never have anything better. Competition and the motivation to improve is the driving force for every advancement this world has, and someday you kids will realize that.

Yeah you are right. Reesy and any other dev should stop what ever they are doing and finish what Danr wants them to. Why because you said so and we must comply with what ever your wishes are. The universe and everyone in it revolves around Danr and whatever HE wants. After all you contribute so much here, without you bitching we wouldn't know what to do.

You want SNES go and buy a PSP and go to that scene, you would fit in perfectly.

danr posted on Oct 31 2005 at 11:47 PM said:
If everyone just accepted whatever was given to them, we'd never have anything better. Competition and the motivation to improve is the driving force for every advancement this world has, and someday you kids will realize that.
Given is the important word here. We're not paying for it, it was done for free, for the fun of it, it stopped being fun, he stopped working on it, big fucking deal.

The way I see it, if I want it to be any better it is up to ME to improve it, either that or wait for someone with more coding skills than me (almost everyone :p ) to pick up the source and work on it. I'm not giving anyone any financial impetus to work on it so I have no right to expect anyone to do anything with it.

I don't understand why you find that so hard to understand. I get it that you want 100% SNES on the GP32 but it isn't going to happen. If you want it bad enough you will either have a go at improving it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. If neither of those options suits you you should either get over it and play with whats available or just forget it, maybe homebrew isn't the scene for you.

Oh and I'm not a kid!

jesus christ, let danr say what he wants. we're not in a communist society ;)

everyone here needs to stop telling people what to say/feel. let them act the way they want. Reesy is smart enough to know that people like him and appreciate his work, and others would like improvement. Nothing wrong with that. Shit. Let it be.

people need to stop coming onto a thread with arguments, responding aggressively, and then saying shit like"thanks again reesy!!! I love you!!! let me shove my tongue up your ass even further!!!!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back